August 5, 2014

A debate I’m no longer having

I’ve got a piece in the Post today on how there is no more room for discussion on whether Israel should exist. It’s here and it’s not going anywhere. But the real point is this:

The fact is, Palestinians’ supporters do a disservice to the people they want to most help when they question Israel’s legitimacy.

The idea that Palestinians just can’t live next door to Jews isn’t a pro-Palestinian position: It makes them seem infantile, unable to accept a reality that, sorry, isn’t changing.

Giving hope to the far-out idea that Jews will simply go away, that Israel will cease to exist, does nothing but extend the conflict. The sooner Palestinians accept Israel, the sooner everyone can live in peace. But that means their supporters have to stop arguing for something that’s not going to happen.

Posted by Karol at 12:37 AM |
Comments

I think you missed one of the strongest points in your argument on why Israel isn’t going anywhere. Unlike a lot of other nations in the West, Jewish Israelis have a solid birthrate, hovering around 3 children per married couple. Around 15-20 years ago, a lot of the pundits thought the Palestinians would win by demographics/population. Still possible I suppose but not in 100 years at the least. Just my two cents.

Posted by: Von Bek at August 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Glad to see you blogging again, if only to link to your articles

Karol, I seem to remember that oyu used to live in Long Beach – right?

Posted by: Tatyana at August 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I am an American born and raised in NYC I believe in the rule of Law, and not a God or an organized religion. I try to see the world through the lens of right/wrong and of morality.

I believe the people of Israel have a right to live in a world where they are not afraid of attacks and where they can retaliate when bombed. This is the argument I have heard most from my Jewish friends in NYC. However, I also believe that if you oppress and occupy a people for a long enough period of time, what you get is violence. The WORLD has spoken out against Israel building settlements in violation of International Law. The WORLD begged the far right of Israel to stop, Bibi did not stop the settlements and eventually the rockets flew.

If you poke a bear with a stick enough times, the bear will charge. You can’t then slaughter the bear and it’s cubs ad claim self defense. I have heard far too many of my Jewish friends claim the worlds media is biased against Israel. When the entire civilized world thinks you’re actions are wrong, it’s not bias. It’s time to look in the mirror. No Jew that I have spoken to, can ever admit Israel did anything wrong….EVER It’s not bias

Posted by: Jimmy King at August 12, 2014 at 11:12 am

Of course the Palestinian “leaders” who “question” Israel’s legitimacy do their people a disservice. THEY DON’T CARE !! Hating Israel to the point of destroying all hope for a normal life for yourself, your children, their children seems to be a small price to pay for remaining in power. Evil Hamas appropriate every scrap of concrete and steel they could get their hands on, not to build houses, schools, hospitals, factories, but to build tunnels for kidnapping and murder, the tools of the psycho criminal. I remind the readers that Israel had no settlements in 1966, when there were no settlements, no arab country recognized Israel and Egypt, Syria and Jordan mobilized to attack it. Except for Sadat, no Arab leader has said he would live in peace with Israel. Hamas and PLO have both launched terrorist attacks against innocent civilians. The world is turning upside down, and unfortunately our President is not strong for the truth !

Posted by: Bruce Bodner at August 14, 2014 at 8:24 pm

To Jimmy King,
You say that you believe that the people of Israel have a right to live in a world where they are not afraid of attacks. Well convince the Arabs of that and all will be well. Think if NYC were surrounded by states with more people than you, and who lobbed rockets over the Hudson, and the Lincoln and Holland tunnels were built by terrorists seeking to come in and kill you. They attack and you win, you seize Queens to prevent the rockets and artillery from being shot at Manhattan. Still the outlying provinces of Long Island and NJ lob the rockets and seek to kill you, saying the land belongs to the native americans and dutch. Think of that situation.

Posted by: Bruce Bodner at August 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm

No UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS?? It Pulls! . -= Chethan’s previous site… They have exactly about Marketing and marketing! The Art of Conversation =-.
cheap jordans http://isaacmeasonmansion.com/cheap-jordans.php