September 12, 2012

9/11, 11 years and one day later

It was hard to say anything new about 9/11 after 11 years. On Facebook I posted “I’ll never forget but I don’t carry it around with me like I did for years afterward. That almost scares me, reminds me of 9/10 complacency, but it’s easy (and good) to let life go on and not let worry cloud everything you do. RIP everyone, and everything, we lost that day.” And then added this comment “The years 2001-2003 are a blur for me. I became even more of a homebody than I was. I wasn’t afraid to leave my house, and I wasn’t depressed exactly, but there was a cloud over everything. I felt like the blackout of 2003 finally snapped me out of it. The fear at first that it was terrorism followed by the relief that it wasn’t made me feel good about life again (eating all the ice cream sandwiches out of the fridge before they melted helped.)” But everything else has been said in the last decade.

It gets harder each year to really remember what that day was about. This year a NY Times op-ed columnist, and former reporter, placed the blame of 9/11 on the Bush administration as if they sat back and did nothing on purpose while these attacks were planned. I have a response to this in today’s New York Post. Just like the other truthers, who believe there were no planes, fire can’t melt steel, etc., these new “soft” truthers can’t handle the real truth of what happened to us that day.

Yesterday’s attacks on our embassies remind us that we’re still at war. Islam might be a fine religion, every religion has its maniacs, but fundamentalist Islam keeps rearing its head and killing people. It must be put down. You don’t have to be a conservative to believe that. This brand of Islam is entirely incompatible with liberalism and seeks to squelch freedoms we all take most seriously. The right to not be offended doesn’t exist and, despite what the US Embassy in Egypt believes, there’s also no right to not have your “religious feelings” hurt.

People keep commenting that I haven’t written enough about the upcoming election. I just have too much going on in my life right now to stay on top of things like I did in 2004 or even 2008. But yesterday showed that we continue to have a weak president who makes our country weak too. Obama’s only statement on the embassies was to attack Romney. This is no leader. I have called him an empty suit for years before he got elected and it is more true than ever. I want a Republican president but I would accept a strong Democrat right now. People keep saying that’s Hillary but I’m not so sure. If I had the option to swap out Obama for a truly strong Democrat, who wouldn’t let our country down the way Obama did yesterday, I’d jump at the chance. It’s not partisanship anymore, it’s Americanism. I want to see a strong America again and with Barack Obama we never will.

Posted by Karol at 09:23 AM |
Comments

Hi Karol. I have to say that I think you’re being incredibly unfair in your criticism of these so called “soft truthers”. Yes, characters like Keith Olbermann are sensationalists who don’t add much to the public discourse. But asking honest questions about what information our national security officials had and what they ignored in the name of expediency is a very important question. And by the way, it was not the left wing that produced an entire movie blaming an administration for security failures leading to September 11th. I guess you haven’t seen “Path to 9/11″? That was on the FIFTH anniversary of September 11th. Maybe it was okay back then.

And what exactly makes you feel that Obama is weak on security, besides his lack of condemnation of these riots? True, any riot that leads to an American death should be condemned by our government. But military officials, including those on the right, have praised Obama for his decision to order a ground strike against Osama bin Laden. Obama’s drone attacks have “decimated” Al Qaida leadership, in the words of top U.S. officials. Obama is as much a hawk on foreign policy as any Republican. So how, in your mind, has he made our country weaker than a Republican president would? Don’t actions speak louder than words?

Now you and I do agree on something, but our reasoning will be very different. I don’t think Obama has made our country safer with these military expansions either, but that’s because they don’t deal with the root causes of terrorism in the world. Poverty drives people to fundamentalism – fundamentalism to terror. Dictators that centralize wealth in the hands of an aristocracy (dictators often supported by our foreign policies), create the conditions where radicalism and terrorism thrive. You may call me a soft-truther for making that assertion, but I feel no shame in pointing out actions our government could take to reduce radicalism around the world. So yes, I’m disappointed in Obama too. But until we get a new crop of Republicans in the political arena, I am CERTAIN that he makes our country just as safe as any conservative could.

Posted by: Joseph at September 12, 2012 at 11:08 am

“Poverty drives people to fundamentalism – fundamentalism to terror.” This has been disproved again and again. Most of the 9/11 hijackers came from middle class families.

It’s not about being a “hawk” or making “gutsy calls” to kill the #1 terrorist in the world (Michael Moore would have been capable of that gutsy a call) it’s more about the weakness he shows on the world stage and not condemning the murder of Americans, forcefully, is Jimmy Carter redux. As Americans (or any nation) we need to feel secure that our death at the hands of anyone anywhere in the world will be AT MINIMUM condemned by our president. This president can’t even meet that minimum. What would Reagan do? Not nothing.

Posted by: Karol at September 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

What would Reagan do? Apart from selling weapons to US enemies and funding illegal wars?
When US troops were bombed in Lebanon, the Gipper rushed to invade…er…Grenada. Can you spell smokescreen?
How Cheney had the nerve to appear on TV on the anniversary and criticize BHO for not paying attention to his briefings blew my mind. GWB was warned, and look what happened. At least Reagan gave an ‘on my watch’ speech instead of trying to blame Clinton.
Who was prez when they gave up the hunt for OBL? and who killed OBL? I recall a guy called Perry on this blog saying it cost too much to hunt for OBL. Not for some.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at September 13, 2012 at 2:31 am

It now seems that the film is a Egyptian based ruse purporting to be from the Hollywood Jooos. Best way to create conflict is always to create it yourself…..

Posted by: Bart Flower at September 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

Very fine thoughts from Karol on that tragic day.

And yet there’s a four letter word missing here that many of my friends and compatriots on the right do not want to say. Not Bush–though the way he and Cheney were ignored in Tampa makes me wonder. It’s Iraq.

You remember Iraq. Cakewalk. It would pay for itself. They’ll be naming streets after George W. Somehow when WMDs were nowhere to be found, it became a war for democracy with too many of my friends on the right gushing about purple fingers and democracy in the Middle East. And the spending went up and the debt went up….

We can’t have it both ways. We can’t cheer fighting for democracy in the Middle East under W while bashing fighting for democracy in the Middle East under Obama. We can’t cheer massive spending and debt under W and Frist and Hastert while condemning massive spending and debt under Obama and Reid and Pelosi.

No bones about it. Iraq was a disaster. The GOP doubled down on it in 2004. The “permanent Republican majority” that the GOP was raving about after winning 51 percent of the vote against a hapless John Kerry came crashing down in 2006 and 2008. Read the classics. Nemesis always follows hubris. Unless I’m seriously mistaken (and I hope I am), despite the nice rebound in 2010, I think the Dems win again in November.

Rave at Obama all you want–there are many grounds to do so. We’ve had series of bad presidents before of course–look at the decade before Lincoln–but 16 years of W and Obama….not good. Obama needs to go (not that I have much faith in Romney though I do like Ryan).

But here’s the thing. Obama got bin Laden–something W did not do in more than 7 years. The GOP’s foreign policy advantage–so crucial to Bush in 1988 and W in 2004–has gone up in smoke. The GOP–and yes, you Karol–cheered military operations in Iraq and blew all the trumpets. But voters haven’t forgotten all the lives lost and monies spent in that quagmire. Iraq is going to be an albatross around the Republican neck for a long time.

If there’s any hope, I think it comes with new GOP leaders who had nothing to do with launching the fiasco–a series of solid governors around the nation and fresh faces in the Senate like Rubio, Paul and others. They just need to ignore the idiots festering in the Beltway who got us into the mess.

Posted by: Von Bek at September 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I was wrong about that film, it was US whack-job Christian trouble-stirring. ‘Gee, I poked the bees nest and little jonny got stung. What did I do wrong mom?’

Posted by: Bart Flower at September 27, 2012 at 11:33 am