July 30, 2012

RIP Zach Ginzburg

September 22, 1972-July 24, 2012

I was playing poker when I got the call you had died. The first time we met was over poker too, the night I played my first tournament. We had a bunch of mutual friends and they were going through a poker phase. I’d fall madly for poker and we’d play together from time to time. You once cracked my AA with a straight flush. I’m not still bitter. Much.

Zach cracking my aces with straight flush

There were parties:

Zach, Byk, Phil

Birthdays:

Zach and Michelle

Klabbr games:

Zach

Random dinners:

Zach, Head, Feeeeema

Destination weddings:

Boys

Hanging out on couches:

Frank and Zach

And more couches:

Zach and James

When I’ve tried to picture you over the last week I keep thinking of this day.

Gagarin!

Bright, sunny day in Brooklyn with our friends, you in a red Gagarin shirt I found, for some reason, hilarious.

You had a great raspy laugh and a very energetic way about you, like you were always in a big hurry. It’s hard to reconcile the image I have of you, the strong, tan, healthy guy you were, with the way you died.

What I find so baffling, as I look over the pictures I have of you with our great group of friends, is why you didn’t tell anyone you were sick. I understand the urge to be strong, and I certainly remember you as someone strong, not a complainer at all, but I think your friends would have welcomed the opportunity to be there for you. People talk about how you threw them off the scent of your sickness with your broken arm. It’s hard to understand why you didn’t let more people in. I hope you found solace in your decision to not burden people. All I keep hearing is people would have wanted to be burdened.

I’ve written before about the awful history of people dying young in our part of Brooklyn but a young man becoming suddenly sick and dying so fast is something I think anyone, anywhere can relate to.

RIP Zach, you will be missed and remembered.

Posted by Karol at 09:42 AM |
Comments

Discussion of Zach: https://www.facebook.com/karolnyc/posts/490561830972658

Posted by: Karol at July 30, 2012 at 11:09 am

Thanks for remembering Brother Z. Its all too numbing for me to write anything worth while. All I can do is quote Hunter S. Thompson in saying that we truly lost one of God’s own prototypes.

Posted by: Pheeleepok at July 30, 2012 at 11:18 am

OMG I knew Zach since we were kids. This is so sad to hear. I by chance clicked on this and when I saw the familiar face my heart broke. I have lost so many friends from this neighborhood in Brooklyn, Most to drugs though. Hearing a younf man die of a sickness is heartbreaking.. May he Rest in Peace. He was a sweetheart.

Posted by: MADLEN at July 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

WOW!!! whoever wrote this,, its very nice & sweet! Thank you for sharing ur memories of Zach and ur caring words!!! I am glad Zach, unfortunately, now has a chance to see how many people loved and cared about him! But as you said he was a strong and independent man till the very end and didn’t want anyone to worry about him even his family all he did was worry for everyone else. I wish he wasn’t physically taken so soon from us,, I was always so proud to call him my brother as he was to call me his lil sis, and really looked up to him, but I still feel his presence and now he will be an angel in our lives. Rest in peace bro,,, I love you forever and you will be forever in my heart <3

Posted by: Hanna Ginzburg at August 1, 2012 at 12:24 am

He was the most beautiful guy I have ever seen…. The first time we met I was 14, I couldn’t take my eyes off him !!!

With the green/purple Kawasaki that looked so great with his attitude. In a way, we where family… so I’ll make sure they all remember you.

He was a true sweetheart and we’re all going to miss him.

RIP sweet prince, we would always remember you!!!!

Posted by: Florance fishman at August 1, 2012 at 3:33 am

RIP Zach. We went to school together. Played basketball at the “Y”. Sad news.

Posted by: David Perez at August 1, 2012 at 6:13 am

Seeing all of his closest friends and family this past week brought back so many memories. I’ve shared some of my most percious moments and worst moments with Zach. He had a special spark about him that everyone who came into contact with him would feel instantly. He was the cool kid on the block, the guy every guy wanted to be and most girls wanted to be with. He had a zest for life and lived everyday like it was his last. I’m glad we got the chance to be a big part in each others life. It was definitely a roller coaster ride, but with Zach you couldn’t expect anything less. RIP mush

Posted by: Sabina at August 1, 2012 at 8:59 am

Zach had a very energetic and uplifting personality. Nothing would phase him. He loved life and had a very unique sense of humor, that everyone and I loved . We had great times that I would cherish forever…Sorry that his friends had to be informed about that tragic day, few days ago. He was a very considerate person. Did not want to burden any of his friends with what he was going through. He wanted to leave everyone thinking of him as a healthy individual. He had a very strong personality which amazed me, in addition to his other characteristics. That is what made me love and care for him so much. I do not think I would have been able to be that strong , let alone others… I hope he will rest in peace and G-d will rest his soul. Again Zach Love you and you will always be in my heart!!!

Posted by: Michelle at August 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

truly sad and unfortunate for someone so young, fit and in his prime to pass away and suddenly be gone

Posted by: jim pinkenberg at August 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm