July 16, 2012

Barack Obama in his own words

Look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

I love the “somebody invested in roads and bridges.” Like, perhaps, the taxpayer that Obama is minimizing here?

Also, as my buddy Demetrius Minor tweeted, if nobody deserves credit for their accomplishments then I guess Obama should share credit for capturing Osama bin Laden with George W. Bush. Wait for it.

Posted by Karol at 11:54 AM |
Comments

The people who paid for the roads and bridges, and the people who built them did a favor to the successfull guy. This is the basic argument to why taxation can be a force for good and a money-making, job creating thing. I’m not seeing taxpayers being minimized; how so?

I agree that W should get credit for BHO nailing OBL. After all, if W had taken his thumb out of his ass and nailed him during his own tenure, BHO would have no OBL to nail. To be fair, W only had 7 years to play with. W did take a call from the Whitehouse when OBL was nailed, it was in the news, remember?

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

You’re disregarding the entire first paragraph to explain away Obama’s comments.

Posted by: Karol at July 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

No Karol I am not. People don’t spring up as adults smarter than others to become a success. They have parents, grandparents, teachers, doctors and a whole lot of other people who paid taxes so that they were able to maximize that potential. There are a lot of smart people who don’t own corporations, but they are parents to kids who might own one in the future. This is not rocket science

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Oh, by the way, your reply disregarded a lot of what I had to say. I will get over it;)

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm

The more Obama speaks away from the teleprompter the more he digs himself into a deep hole. With that said, the alternative isn’t much better cause no one is really excited with Romney.

It’s frustrating for all of us. Might want to read this book out about Americans who finally take a stand against tyranny & corporate America cause it’s so real. I recommend it. http://www.booksbyolier.com

What astonishes me is that Obama speaks about Americans, who have a business, and he has never worked in a business his whole life. He really doesn’t understand that business owners did it themselves with their risk of failing without any safety net. Great article. Thanks.

Posted by: GreenGrass at July 20, 2012 at 11:26 am

This directed to the lady named Karol. You know your right successful business people did not arrive from Mars successful. They had parents teachers just like everybody else. However unlike everybody else those chose to sacrifice nice cars clothes partying nice furniture and yes sometimes their futureeducation to risk a business venture that may or amy not be successful. I can tell you from 50 years of expeience when you are involved in a new business everybody jumps into the weeds when they realize that you might ask them for some help or a loan. This is just human nature. If you don’t believe this go ahesd quit you comfortable job and start yourself a business. I assure you there will not be any teachers police fireman roadbuilders or Presidents showing up late at night or early in the mornig to to jack for you except to maybe give you a hard time because you failed to get some silly permit that they dreamed up.

Posted by: john wisenbaker at July 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

“I assure you there will not be any teachers police fireman roadbuilders or Presidents showing up”
Sheesh! What a maroon!
The teachers helped you to become smart enough to have a business. Reading and math usually a good thing for a venture-guy to know. And unless you start your venture in a field, the road builders have already done their work, allowing the people to beat a path to your door, as the saying says.
Greengrass; do you own a tinfoil hat?

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 22, 2012 at 8:49 pm

“”The teachers helped you to become smart enough to have a business.”"

Yes, they were paid a fair wage for it. The teachers didn’t put forth the capital, the second and third mortgage, the long nights, the 80 hours weeks and the blood sweat and tears to “have” (have? Like just materialize? Try “build”) their own business.

“”The people who paid for the roads and bridges, and the people who built them did a favor to the successfull guy.”"

They did a favor by paying through mandatory taxes? That’s not a favor. And the people who built their businesses? Yeah, THEY paid for the roads and bridges too, so those roads and bridges are as much theirs as they are yours.

Posted by: Alexander Leonard at July 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Alexander, I agree with what you have said. A guy could “put forth the capital, the second and third mortgage, the long nights, the 80 hours weeks and the blood sweat and tears to “have” (have? Like just materialize? Try “build”) their own business.” to quote you, but these big commitments would fail if the guy had a dumb idea. There are plenty of hard-working people who fail.
At no point did I suggest the teacher who help the success-guy learn his basic skills be due for a dividend in that eventual success. The very basic point is that no man is an island. Unless you can name me a successfull guy today who had no help from his schooling, or his parents. This guy will also have never attended church, been in a library or travelled along any tax-provided road.

” You speak as someone who has never accomplished anything or taken a risk, yet want a slice of the pie provided by those who do.”
No, I do not. What a bizarre thing to suggest.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

You specifically say they the workers who built the roads, (who were paid for their work) and the taxpayers who had the taxes extracted from their pay (to pay said workers), to have the roads built “did a favor to the successfull guy”. Does the successful guy not pay the wages of the public workers or not pay taxes? How is being paid to do your job a favor?

Sure, no man is an island, but that’s not what Obama said, he said “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

You’re defending that some how and for some reason. Any one who had put forth the money, time and risk to build their own business – only to be told by the President of the United States that they didn’t build it? It’s highly offensive and plainly un-American.

You said my suggestion about your character was bizarre. Yet, if you’ve put forth those 80 hour weeks and survived the grueling attrition rate of new businesses and are fine with Obama saying you didn’t do that, then THAT is what I truly find bizarre.

Posted by: Alexander Leonard at July 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Before I comment on the question you asked in the fisrt section, I think what BHO said is badly put (to the point of meaning something else). The gist I took from it was what i have been commenting on.
Ok, the taxpayer (including our hotshot) pays for a road to be built by the roadbuilders. Everyone gets paid money, money which in turn is used to eat, live etc in the local economy. This includes the hotshot’s own business. Not only that, the better road means more people may be coming to the business, and shipping is easier as well. The increase in visitors means that the local donut store, diners and other stores see an increase in their turnover. American as apple pie.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm

So now the citizen who works to become successful is a “hotshot”? What is it with your sneering contempt for those who work hard to succeed? Beginning to make sense why you’re defending Obama’s speech.

So, he paid for the roads that bring him more business? Great. What does he pay for the roads with? His taxed income from the business he started himself. He also creates jobs that empoy people.

This federally mandated portion of success he was benevolently granted by the government really doesn’t seem to be materializing in your comments. Instead, I think you may be starting to grasp my (and our) point, even if mistakenly.

Apparently our President the ‘brilliant orator’ needs hundreds of people trying to explain what he REALLY meant when he said “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

The cheering crowd sure seemed to be eating it up. Thing is, if Obama hadn’t been such an enemy to small businesses and hasn’t spent so much of his time in office blaming others, creating social and racial divides and trying to stoke class warfare, his comments would be a little easier to simply mark off as “misspoken”.

No luck, alas. He “scared the bear” and now he and his supporters are scrambling to say it ain’t so.

Posted by: Alexander Leonard at July 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I have no contempt for those who work hard. Seriously, you are annoyed at my use of the word ‘hotshot’?! Then pick another short word for your business guy and rock yourself to sleep.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at July 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm