June 12, 2012

Beer me.

My piece in the NY Post today demands (asks nicely) that NY’ers be allowed to drink in parks and festivals.

Comments

The city of Savannah allows drinking alcoholic beverages on the street 365 days a year. There are rules however; no cans, bottles or brown bags. Drinks must be in plastic cups and all restaurants and pubs are happy to accomodate one and all with plastic cup “travelers”. Savannah is a beautiful, happy city.

Posted by: Jim Maloney at June 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Red Solo cup,
You lift me up,
Let’s have a party…

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at June 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

Thank you for your insightful observations about what will prove to be another dry spell. I am mostly in agreement that libations would enhance the overall enjoyment of bucolic activites and cultural gatherings and that alcohol abuse could be regulated at street fairs and in more constricted settings. I would, however, still prevail on some restrictions and caution. I am certain you have read of unbridled drinking on piers and lakes that has resulted in tragedies. And while it may be hard to enforce, it’s even harder to regulate. let alone define, “safe outdoors” indulgence from what’s not. My concern is with the victim who can’t make this distinction and whose immature and imprudent drinking should be monitored as the risk greatly outweighs the pleasure especially in hot weather.

Posted by: Blair Sorrel at June 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I’m a fan of public drinking, but the fact is New Yorkers (and, yes, the “real” New Yorkers) can’t handle public drinking without the festival turning into Jersey Shore — or worse — halfway through.

Posted by: Ken Wheaton at June 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

I disagree. I think NY’ers are just as sophisticated as all the other places in the world which allow drinking and will do just fine if they weren’t treated like children. Maybe if they were allowed to drink openly they’d do it in moderation.

Posted by: Karol at June 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I agree, but with Nanny Bloomberg I just can’t see that happening anytime soon.

Posted by: T. AKA Ricky Raw at June 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I like to drinking on my room,but I am not a fan of public drinking.

Posted by: Aesorol at June 21, 2012 at 9:45 am

Public drinking leads to a little bit of public drunkeness. Some people want everyone else to suffer for that.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm

The tiniest bit of research would have revealed that it is NOT illegal to drink alcohol at a legal block party in NY. smh. That fact, which is clearly stated in the law, goes against the entire tenor of your piece about not being able to drink at events. Not saying that I completely agree with the law. But when the bedrock of your argument is a fallacy everything else loses credibility.

NYC Administrative Code 10-125