May 28, 2012

Of course we are

My piece in the NY Post a few days ago was on Manny Pacquiao getting banned from a mall for opposing gay marriage. Are we getting to an everything-is-political point where businesses will make unwelcome those with the wrong political opinions?

Posted by Karol at 12:49 AM |
Comments

This can be pointed in more than one direction.

Posted by: Joseph Hertzlinger at June 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Malls are private property. The owners can ban anyone they want to ban. This happens a lot.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 4, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Sure they *can*, no one is disputing that.

Posted by: Karol at June 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Ok, but maybe they banned him not politically, but because his stated opinion is bad for business?
Anyone think Mel Gibson is a bankable asset?

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I wouldn’t go see his movies but I wouldn’t want Mel Gibson banned from Columbus Circle. It’s a dangerous road to start banning people because they have the wrong beliefs.

Posted by: Karol at June 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Take that a step further. A Movie theater gets complaints (and worse for them) no business at a Mel Gibson movie. They decide to stop showing his work. Effectively he is banned, but he is not actually banned. The theater has to look to the bottom line. After all, when the Whitehouse allowed Common in you said this was wrong. I see little difference.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

The White House is the representative home of all Americans. I don’t like inviting racists into our home. The mall is a public space, private-owned though it may be, and while mall management is welcome to ban whomever they choose I think it sets a bad precedent for businesses. Also, “effectively” banned isn’t the same as banned. The mall can stop inviting Pacquio for appearances but to cancel one after he said something with which they disagree isn’t the same thing.

Posted by: Karol at June 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm

If I owned a store, and my customers complained about me inviting somebody into it because of something they said, I would look to my bottom line and cancel the next invite. The ‘Mall’ does what the businesses inside of it want. Your statement re the WH is probably similar to the business owners from the malls. They don’t want to invite Manny into the ‘home’ of their business because they may be tarnished by that opinion. They may be perceived as condoning it, just like BHO has been inferred to condone that of Common.

Of course neither the prez or the guest were black before…

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 10, 2012 at 7:17 am

“If I owned a store, and my customers complained about me inviting somebody into it…”

But that didn’t happen.

“You need to look through the guestlists at the WH and realize that racists have been on the WH guestlists going back for a very, very long time.”

Can you give me some names? Who is comparably racist to Common in outspoken opposition to interracial marriage?

Posted by: Karol at June 10, 2012 at 10:15 am

On January 8, 2005, Muhammad Ali was presented with the Presidential Citizens Medal by President George W. Bush.

That’s the same Muhammed Ali who said “No intelligent black man in this audience, no intelligent black woman in this audience want little white boys and little white girls coming to marry their sons and daughters…we are not seeking to lose our identity in blood mixing”

Presidents who were members of the KKK:
Warren G. Harding,Woodrow Wilson,McKinley,Calvin Coolidge, and Harry S. Truman.

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Quick, change the parameters! Even with your ‘interracial marriage’ rider, it was possible. If only you had asked for left-handers, native americans or gymnasts!

Posted by: Old Grumpy Tired at June 11, 2012 at 2:25 am