April 12, 2012

No Russian Sharpton is a-ok

I had an article in the NY Post this week about how the Russian community has gotten some bad press lately and doesn’t have a well-established grievance group–but why that’s not a bad thing.

Posted by Karol at 10:24 AM |
Comments

If you could read in Russian I’d point you out to a long thread @LiveJournal’ ru_newyork community to a post where an attempt was made to form just such grievance group. The author even mourned “luck of organization” among our ethnic group, unlike Blacks and Latinos (and lately – Asians), who ” do not allow media to insult and offend, and rip some well-deserved benefits along the way”.
But majority of readers just mocked, point and laughed at him…poor victim.

Posted by: Tatyana at April 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Dear Karol,

My name is John Lisyanskiy, I have been involved with my community for over a decade now as an organizer and an activist, while I appreciate you taking time to write an op-ed in the Post, and you clearly made some great points there, it is very disturbing how you discount all the efforts that community has made to fight for its respect. You are way of the mark and it is evident that you have an agenda behind such approach. Make no mistake this will not go unnoticed and we will work diligently to notify as many people as we can about your malicious act to try and personally gain at the community’s expense. You bring shame to what we stand for and should not associate your self as member of our community, hence you are not and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Try making a name for your self at your own expense and maybe hard work, it would be wise to actually do something first and then try and take credit for it… Your pathetic critic of our community and its members shows your lack of any understanding, involvement and truth.

I hope to hear back from you, and whether you will agree to amend your op-ed, hence I can only promise that we will work hard to set the record straight. It seems as though you are writing from Mars and have absolutely zero connection to our great, vibrant and immeasurable community.

Sincerely,

John

Posted by: John Lisyanskiy at April 13, 2012 at 9:59 am

What I responded to John:

I am unclear why you believe my piece to have been a critique (not *critic*) of the community since my whole point was that Russians get undeserved bad press and that they deserve better.

I understand that you consider yourself to be the spokesman for the community, which I noted we lack, but let me assure you that you are, so far, not. Perhaps it is because you misunderstand columns like mine and then send poorly worded emails misusing words like “malicious” and accusing people with whom you barely disagree of having ulterior motives or writing an innocent column for “personal gain”. Your campaign to flood me with emails from citizens concerned about my entirely positive, pro-Russian-community, column resulted in exactly one email–from someone giving me a heads-up as to what you were doing. My point about the community lacking an organized grievance group stands. And, again, I think it is a good thing that we don’t have someone constantly complaining about our press coverage. We’re better and stronger than that.

Believe me that I am only writing back to you because I specifically care about the Russian community and want to take the time to explain to you that serious people don’t send the kind of emails you sent me. The attachments in your email are laughably amateurish with poor grammar, spelling mistakes and general format issues. My background is in public relations and if I wrote the press releases you attached I would have been fired. If you would like, I’d be happy to edit future releases for you. Again, we’re on the same side of wanting positive coverage for the Russian community but one of us is sending what can only be described as hysterical, nonsensical, emails to people who SHARE THEIR VIEWS and the other one of us is arguing that the press is unfair to Russians in a major newspaper.

Posted by: Karol at April 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm

What John responded to Karol:

Karol, “my whole point” what point? what do you know about the community? who are you? what connection do you have to the community, other than your name?

You do not understand anything… I do not consider my self anything more than that of what I am and I have worked very hard to get where I am… so please save the spiel for your American friends whom you can maybe lecture on community’s doings as you are nobody in my view and know nothing about the community… (this is not going to work – but backfire.. this is a poor strategy you do not have a mere sense of our mentality)

I do not misunderstand columns like yours, it is all very vivid to me.. I have been in this business a long time and please do not misconstrue my very sincere intentions. There is nothing more to your columns than self promotion and personal gain. I read very well between the lines..

That one email you got is exactly what I wanted… you can not ignore me, like I said I have gotten very big fish to respond when I/we rally.. they hear.. and so will you

As for this:

“My point about the community lacking an organized grievance group stands. And, again, I think it is a good thing that we don’t have someone constantly complaining about our press coverage. We’re better and stronger than that.” “We are”? who is we?

OPEN YOUR EYES AND EARS – I PROMISE THIS WILL BE VERY HARD TO PENETRATE..

Well this is adding insult to injury.. I ask again are you currently on Mars?, do you not have any sense of maybe using google to see what is happening around you.. what are you trying to accomplish here? you are wading in the territory you know nothing about and it is a rough terrain.. you illustrated to everyone that you are disconnected as we carried enormously effective campaign against “Russian dolls show” and everyone and their grandma new and heard about it.. so you are hurting your self here.. with your credibility..

do you read this very paper often http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/russian_revolution_5vAZNxszSmIU8ZRvZ1PmuK

and google for much much more.. AP carried our fight all over the world.. where were you????

And no, you do not care about the Russian community.. because you do not know this community and you have not done anything in all your years for this community and you are simply an opportunist.. but do not worry the Russian press is about to unleash on this writing here.. and there are groups that have been very actively involved for many years who are not going to take any of this lightly..

Now as for attachments “laughably amateurish with poor grammar, spelling mistakes and general format issues” – you are truly a disgrace to begin criticizing that work.. it was better than nothing… coming from you such a community benefactor..

AND NO we are not on the same side, do not further attempt to integrate your self into the work that we – proud members of the community have done, as there are no free rides being offered at this point.. if you had cared about the community you would have reached out and consulted with folks in it.. and then write the truth and not fiction and your fantasies..

you are “arguing that the press is unfair”? where were you when we protested the NYTIMES for “soviet mind set” and “Russian accents” and “Russian outfit” and more..? you are arguing…?

I suggest you crawl back into a hole you came out from.. and cease and desist on offering any of your martian opinion on the status of our community.

Your provocation has worked and provided me with further ammunition and reinforced my very foundation that had enormous momentum, so I can at least thank you for that…

good luck fantasizing

what a shame

Posted by: John Lisyanskiy at April 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm

And so, obviously, I’m not writing back. :-)

Posted by: Karol at April 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

is that a belated April Fool’ joke?
Karol, don’t pay attention to trolls.

Posted by: Tatyana at April 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Tatyana, this guy is upset I don’t realize he’s the spokesman for the Russian community. LOL.

Posted by: Karol at April 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm

…and it’s all very vivid to him!

No doubt. Some meds have that effect, you know.

Posted by: Tatyana at April 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The vivid line is among my favorites. I also like the “I PROMISE THIS WILL BE VERY HARD TO PENETRATE.”

Posted by: Karol at April 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Lets see who gets the final laugh…

Posted by: John at April 17, 2012 at 9:27 am

You need to start using google to find out what is happening around you…

This him?

Perhaps it’s a Daily News – NY Post battle royale.

I’m offended by the way. All this Russian talk is offensive to my Kievan Rus background.

Posted by: Dan dee man at April 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

This John character is an embarrassment – he’s so full of himself. “AP carried our fight all over the world.. where were you????” – congrats, you got your name in the paper, John.

Posted by: Stan LS at June 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm