January 17, 2011

Take it

Aww, looks like Ricky Gervais hurt some feelings at the Golden Globes last night:

Gervais opened the live telecast by poking exuberant fun at the likes of Tim Allen, Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. He claimed to have had to help Philip Berk, president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, off the toilet and “put his teeth back in”. He introduced Bruce Willis as “Ashton Kutcher’s dad” and explained that Johnny Depp’s critically panned caper movie The Tourist had only been nominated because the voters of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association “accepted bribes”. Neither Willis nor Depp appeared especially amused.

Following the ceremony, Tim Allen, Tom Hanks and Robert Downey Jr all appeared to be at least mildly uncomfortable with Gervais’s performance.

Gosh, I can’t imagine what that’s like, going to see a show (or movie, or band play) and have the performer launch a full-on, unfunny attack on you (or your beliefs). Jim Nolte reminds Hollywood how often they’ve done the same to others:

How many times have those of us in Middle America gotten all settled in for an expected evening of relaxing entertainment, be it at the movies, in front of the television, or in bed with a good book, only to get sucker punched by some cheap, out-of-nowhere sucker punch aimed at our identity, faith or country?

Well, how does it feel, Hollywood? How does it feel to be “blindsided” and trapped for a few hours not knowing when it might come again?

Kind of sucks all the fun out of the evening, doesn’t it?

It’s not just middle America, of course, the whole of the Bush administration meant I couldn’t go out in NYC without hearing some dumb performer inform me of their views (and as I wrote a lot at the time, I don’t mind political disagreement as long as I can argue back and am not stuck in the audience receiving a lecture from some doofus with a guitar). Hard to feel sorry for Hollywood for enduring some abuse today.

Comments

Bravo! I TOTALLY agree. I cannot stand going to see an entertainer and have to listen to his/her/their personal politics. Your job is to entertain — I don’t care about your personal views.

Posted by: Jennifer Feldman at January 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I also agree. A famous (and relevant example of this) was Vanessa Redgrave’s 1977 Oscar acceptance speech which she turned into a podium for the PLO.

Posted by: Ari Feldman at January 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Well, this was the first time ever that i cracked up so hard watching an award show, that i was crying!!! The only reason i even bothered to remember that the golden globes were on was due to Ricky…. And furthermor­e he did not say ANYTHING that any one else here comments (e.g. Hugh Hefner) at the movie critics (e.g. the tourist) …. this is more like a fake “oh i’m so offended” type of deal.

Posted by: Chris Taus at January 17, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I thought Ricky was funny. people can’t laugh at themselves anymore.

Posted by: Lisa at January 18, 2011 at 6:50 am

I don’t usually think Ricky Gervais is that funny and I actually laughed at some of his stuff.

And note to Hollywood – just pretend he was talking about Sarah Palin. See? Isn’t it funny and totally within the bounds of acceptability now?

Posted by: Gib at January 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

I think all award ceremony hosts should be set on ‘roast’. “Ashton Kutcher’s Dad” was my favorite, but it was also fun to see Robert Downey Jr and Tim ‘n’ Tom whining their objections.
In terms of you and your experience of pseudo-politics as entertainment, I realised a long time ago to just get over it. If they offend you, talk to them without anger (at smaller venues, this is usually possible). Some ‘entertainers’ throw in cheap lines for cheap laffs.

Posted by: Capt. Oilybird at January 20, 2011 at 3:52 am