November 8, 2010

Olbermann must go

I’m with Michelle Malkin in wondering why conservatives are defending the disgusting Olbermann. I call for him to be fired in my latest piece for WNYC.

Posted by Karol at 11:24 AM |
Comments

I can’t get used to this “Karol Markowicz” thing.

Posted by: OutragedIAm at November 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Great blog! Will you add me to your blogroll? I’ll add you to mine!

Posted by: The Real Polichick at November 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm

If money is free speech (as the SCOTUS says), then I think the following phrase may apply:

“I hate what you say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

There are some entities that get to deprive their employees of certain rights. NBC, in my humble opinion, is not one of them. Conservatives are coming to his defense in part because it sets a very dangerous precedent when your employer can fire you based on your political donations.

Posted by: James at November 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm

The employer takes up where the govt. leaves off in the area of free speach. Basically, we have none – it’s an illusion. Possibly we used to have had, but not any longer.

Posted by: Dianne at November 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm

@Dianne: the need to not piss off your boss is as old as employers and employees.

Also, free speech doesn’t mean free of consequences.

Posted by: Just Dave at November 9, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Just Dave: when your boss hires you, he hires a specialist for his business, a professional he compensates for occupational services. He does not pay you to change your conscience, nor your politics, nor your whole life experience and become his “mini-me”.
So he has no right to require you do “not piss him off” through your speech (unrelated to your job duties) in exchange for pay.

Of course, people have tendency to play “tzar and his lackeys”, on both sides of that transaction. But it is unlawful and unnatural.

Posted by: Tatyana at November 10, 2010 at 8:32 am

“Conservatives are coming to his defense in part because it sets a very dangerous precedent when your employer can fire you based on your political donations.”

Obviously this is all a moot point since they reinstated him after a few days but if they fired him it would be because he broke their policy, not for his opinions.

Posted by: Karol at November 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Yes, but your employer cannot require a policy that is illegal. Sorry, but “You must sacrifice a virgin to the Dark God Angus every fortnight” is a policy that is considered wrong on its face.

Likewise, a policy that requires you to give up a Constitutional right (see, once again, that donating is an expression of free speech) is one that is at least sketchy enough I wouldn’t want to be the company facing a lawsuit over it. Which may be, btw, why ol’ Olby is back behind the desk. It’s not “free from circumstances,” it’s straight up “if the government can’t do it, we’ll be d*mned if we’ll let an employer.”

As far as pissing off your boss–actually, that’s called “wrongful termination” and it’s resulted in some companies coughing up some serious donero depending on the state.

Posted by: James at November 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I will be putting this dazzling insight to good use in no time.

Posted by: business might at October 12, 2014 at 9:30 am