September 28, 2010

Why don’t women vote Republican?

Melissa Clouthier wonders this in a new piece for Liberty Belles. She concludes that fiscal conservatism is something that matters primarily to men and that this is a very disappointing fact for women.

I think it’s a marketing problem, personally. Republicans need to reframe what counts as a “women’s issue.” I wrote about this back in 2003, that official “women’s issues” only have to do with sex and reproduction, when in reality women’s issues should be fighting terrorism and lower taxes, and if the woman is a mother then perhaps better schools. The fiscal conservative pitch needs to be made to women, that they maintain their independence as people by giving less of their money to the government to squander. If they feel that they have to do more to help society, the real path to this is charity and not government. Republicans need to do a better job of selling this idea.

Comments

[...] friend Karol brings up some good points: I think it’s a marketing problem, personally. Republicans need to reframe what counts as a [...]

Posted by: Women And Their Republican Hang Up–UPDATED | Liberty Pundits Blog at September 28, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I have to say though, Karol, that the women’s/social issues overwhelm any consideration of the fiscal issues for some people (myself).

Posted by: Yana at September 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Which ones?

Posted by: Karol at September 28, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I guess what I really don’t get, apart from how big an effect the social issues can actually have on your day to day life, is that there really isn’t a lot of range between the two parties on most issues. For example, gay marriage. Neither party is for it, but Democrats paint Republicans as anti-gay while holding the same positions. Obama can’t even act to end DADT, which was a Democratic policy to begin with. Even on the contentious issue of abortion, it’s mostly soundbites from both sides.

Posted by: Karol at September 28, 2010 at 5:27 pm

The question could be re-phrased in the form of, “Why are Democratic men such a bunch of effeminate sissies ?”

Ha, ha, ha.

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at September 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I know what you mean walrus. Something tells me the gay vote isn’t going to be an easy one to squeeze from tight grip of the hard left.

Posted by: Scot at September 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I think it’s just a lack of understanding on her part of just how many women are turning to conservatism.

And – oh the horror – there are becoming more and more conservative gay men. But they dare not say anything, or they’ll be ostrasized by the tolerant left.

Posted by: Dianne at September 28, 2010 at 7:38 pm