September 21, 2010

Can I get mushy for a minute?

An amazing thing happened while this site was down today (my fault, they had sent the renewal notice to a defunct email account): I got a bunch of emails, texts and tweets from all kinds of people letting me know it was down. I heard from people that I didn’t know still read Alarming News and people I had no idea ever read it.

It reminded me that people still visit here and I guess I needed reminding because that made me want to make more of an effort to post regularly.

As I noted on twitter, I can blame my lack of posting on the baby (although how much would you blog with this face distracting you?) but the truth is that the biggest obstacle to posting here is well, twitter. It’s just too easy. I think something, and then I post it in 140 characters. No need to flesh out any thoughts, even if it takes two or three 140 character posts (but only if you must), no writing for hours and hoping someone reads it, I have 1300 people who follow me and have my tweet appear on their page each time I post.

Again, It’s easy and I like easy but, as I was reminded today, not nearly as satisfying. No one will wonder where I am if I don’t tweet for a few days. This blog is a little community, and no bigger community can replace that. I’m planning to be back with a vengeance soon. Well, maybe without the vengeance.

Comments

I really wanted to abuse you and the hubby for your 0-2 Cowgirls, but I’m still not over the Skins loss.

Huck 2012!

Posted by: Larry at September 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Yeah, a 1-1 team doesn’t have that much to be happy about in week 2, LARRY. But glad to know you still check in here! And Huck sucks! That rhymes.

Posted by: Karol at September 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Karol,

I don’t know–Larry’s team lost through some flukes and one WR willing his team to victory. Cowboys? Um, they’ve pretty much just failed to execute two weeks in a row. Luck eventually changes–failure to execute will have Wade Phillips in the unemployment line by Week 10 if it keeps up.

Glad you’re back. :D

Oh, and Larry–I think Huck’s got about as much a chance in 2012 as a death row inmate has in Texas. Just sayin’.

Posted by: James at September 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Karol, you shouldn’t blame your inconsistent postings on the baby.

You should blame it on George W. Bush.

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at September 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I’m just straight up missing something with twitter and the benefit of its use.

Posted by: Scot at September 22, 2010 at 9:37 pm

James,

don’t be hatin on the Huckster….if not him; then who?

flukes, mixed with some stupidity cost us the Houston game.

P.S. Contract extension for wade phillips…I’ll chip in some funds

Posted by: Larry at September 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

It takes awhile to get into, Scot, but once you do it’s incredibly addictive. It’s a running conversation that you can check in and out of. I love it.

Posted by: Karol at September 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm

It reminded you that people “still visit”?
And are we, chopped liver?

Posted by: Tatyana at September 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

No way! If it wasn’t for my regular commenters I probably would’ve given up completely a long time ago. So thanks Tatyana!

Posted by: Karol at September 24, 2010 at 12:12 am

Thank you, Karol – for providing a venting valve.

Btw, about the ’still visiting visitors” – where is our friend Not-Dawn-Summers – she gave up on you or did she move to Twitter, too?

Posted by: Tatyana at September 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm

We’re not friends anymore.

Posted by: Karol at September 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm