August 20, 2010

Wait for it

I’ve got a piece coming out in The Hill tomorrow, facing off Jill of Feministe, on everyone’s favorite topic: The Ground Zero Mosque.

For all the arguing over the mosque, we should remember not to let it get too heated, in particular because it’s unlikely to ever be built–and not because of the opposition to it.

Update: It’s up.

Comments

Great job, karol. :)

Posted by: Veronica at August 21, 2010 at 6:06 pm

You expressed yourself well, Karol, but I disagree with one of your statements: ALL muslims support jihad. It’s one of the fundamentals of islam.

And I don’t want them to build yet another mosque. Not at Ground Zero nd not anywhere. Do you know how many of them are here already? I just returned from Red Hook, from Trader’s Joe on Court St.:” 2 blocks there now are filled with signs in arabic. One of a beautiful turn-of-the-century Arts&Crafts brownstones now features posters “Islamic Prayer House and Community Center welcomes you”.
It was not the case just 4 months ago.

When “many” become “way too many”? Where is the point of saturation? I don’t want NY to become Dearborn, MI. DO you?

Posted by: Tatyana at August 21, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Hmmm, bad link ?

Posted by: Dan Dee Man at August 23, 2010 at 8:15 am

It’s something on their end as that’s the link I’ve been using. I’ve written to them to fix it.

Posted by: Karol at August 23, 2010 at 10:37 am

It’s working now.

Posted by: Karol at August 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

Well written K.

I must add however, as a resident of the neighborhood, not everyone is as moderate as you.

Posted by: Dan Dee Man at August 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm

“It’s a matter of sensitivities and the idea that just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. Build it elsewhere.”

The other option is for the offended people to let it go. They could be magnanimous after the people behind the mosque said that is was an attempt to improve relations between Muslims and non-Muslims. Instead this reason was rejected as a lie, and people are combing through the imam’s public statements for words to hang him with. And now we’ve got mobs harassing people they think look “Muslim-y”.

“It’s clearly true that not all Muslims are terrorists. Not all Muslims support jihad. But it’s just as true that most Southerners never owned slaves, and that many Northerners did, and yet the confederate flag no longer flies over the South Carolina State House. ”

Confederate flag does not equal Southerner. I’m from the South. We are very aware of what that flag means. Equating the Confederate flag with a place of worship is not compatible with the statement that not all Muslims are terrorists.

Posted by: dorkafork at August 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Thank you for writing that piece as I had no idea that the person proposing the building site was not a moderate Muslim and seems instead to be an extremist since he believes that terrorism is a last resort. Also, why anyone is surprised that people reacted negatively is beyond me. New Yorkers have legitimate reasons for not wanting extremists to build mosques near a site of extremist Muslim terrorism. Fancy that. It’s also comforting to know that it will probably not be built.

Posted by: katie at August 24, 2010 at 12:07 am

I don’t think Imam Feisal is an extremist.

K’s article does not even mention the Imam. Did you read it ?

Posted by: Dan Dee Man at August 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

Dorkafork, the confederate flag did mean the south at one time. Believe me, as a northerner, I have no love for the confederacy or anyone who would seek to divide this country. But I do think my examples is sound: we removed the flag because it offended vast swaths of people. We didn’t simply tell them to get over it.

Dan, I do mention the imam, I start off with a quote from him. I agree he’s probably not some mad radical, but he has made statements with which I’m not comfortable, such as the one I quote.

Posted by: Karol at August 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

My point is a mosque, in and of itself, is not a symbol of hate. The Confederate flag is. When you wear or display a Confederate flag, you’re sending a message, when you build a mosque, you’re building a place of worship.

When you start equating places of worship with symbols of hate, there’s not much room left to say that not all of their adherents are bad.

Posted by: dorkafork at August 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm