July 19, 2010

Don’t get complacent

I am always suspicious of articles like this one about how the Democrats are panicking and thinking they will lose everything in November. Especially in Dem-lovin magazines like Time. It just reeks of controlling the story. If they put out there that they think they will lose both house in November, and then only lose one, the story the day after election day will be what a win it was for the Democrats–even if they suffer big losses.

So don’t buy it. Donate money to your favorite conservatives, work for candidates and vote on election day. Don’t believe that it’s all smooth sailing from here.

Posted by Karol at 10:43 AM |
Comments

But what are our choices, Karol? Who are our “favorite conservatives”?
Other than a handful of senators, one governor (who is better off staying governor, for NJ’ sake) and an ex-governor Palin (whom I’d support only reluctantly, as a last resort) – I don’t see anybody I agree with 90%. No, not even 75%. I won’t work for any of them.

Posted by: Tatyana at July 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

I guess it’s hard for us NY’ers, but my Facebook feed is a constant stream of “come work for this conservative” or “this conservative is more conservative than that conservative” all over the country. I’m just saying, pick your favorite and help them win in November.

As for the presidency, we’ve got a few years to figure things out. At this point last election cycle, Rudy Giuliani was practically president.

Posted by: Karol at July 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Yes, it’s way too early to think of presidency or engage in speculation.

As to conservatives…I am not one.

Posted by: Tatyana at July 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Tatyana, when one shops for shoes, one keeps shopping until one finds “the perfect fit.”
But please keep in mind, an election is not an opportunity to find “the perfect fit” or “perfection.”

An election is merely an opportunity to select the best available choice.

In some elections, you may have to choose between getting socked in the gut VS having someone drop a ton of bricks on your head.
Personally speaking, I’d rather get socked in the gut than have a ton of bricks land on my head.

In other words, don’t allow the aim for “perfection” to be the enemy of “good enough.”

If we don’t vote for “good enough,” we risk having a ton of bricks dropped on our head.

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at July 19, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Walrus: we already had the truckload of bricks dropped on us. And getting more in line.
But I regret voting for kick in the gut.
It didn’t save me from the truckload of bricks, but I now have elephant dung taste in my mouth, too.

“75%” of what I could live with (which I mentioned above, if you recall) is not “perfection”. 90% would be Fred Thompson with Chris Brown’s age, determination of Gov. Christie and health of a college athlete. Even that is not a 100%.

I was following local (Brooklyn) “reform Republicans” blog for about 8 months. Got disappointed terribly; all their “reform” is fight for a piece of a pie. Camouflaged by shyster’ rhetoric and sticking of labels worthy of Soviet newspapers of the 1930s. No substance, just schoolyard insults and urge for power.

And that’s “young turks”. I don’t want to lend my time and effort to some “conservative who is more conservative than your usual conservative”.,

No more excuses for them. If Republicans want my voice, they have to earn it.

Posted by: Tatyana at July 19, 2010 at 8:22 pm

It is never bad to strive for perfection, but be ready for the disappointment quickly. It isn’t even a party issue anymore, both sides are permanently flawed by special interests.

Posted by: Flawed at July 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm