July 15, 2010

Disgusting

BP Faces Scrutiny in Lockerbie Case:

The company confirmed it lobbied in the case of Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the Libyan convicted of a 1988 airliner bombing, but was not involved in his release.

BP’s statement on Thursday repeated earlier acknowledgments that it had promoted the transfer agreement to protect a $900 million offshore oil-and-gas exploration deal off Libya’s Mediterranean coast. The British justice minister at the time, Jack Straw, admitted shortly after Mr. Megrahi was repatriated and freed that the BP deal was a consideration in the government’s review of his case.

Comments

Raise your hand if you’re surprised at this one…because I have a bridge I need to unload.

Incidentally, this is why people like me still believe in the death penalty. Because no matter how flawed the system is, the fact remains that the alternative is some corruptocrat or “puppies and rainbows” liberal will let out the worst of the worst. This guy should have been freed 10,000 feet above Libya–so he could have felt what some of his victims felt all the way down.

Posted by: James at July 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I may be in the minority, but this is far worse than the oil in the Gulf. The one was an accident the other was on purpose.

Posted by: largebill at July 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Concur.

Posted by: James at July 17, 2010 at 1:19 am

Worst…corporation…IN THE WORLD!

Posted by: Gerard at July 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I am shocked, shocked to hear that big oil has no regard for justice.

Posted by: Capt. Oilybird at July 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Justice has nothing to do with the issue. Corporation exist for profit. This is one way to increase it.
Look up “corporatism”.

Posted by: Tatyana at July 18, 2010 at 7:14 am

I have no need to look it up. BP increased profit by paying for this deal to happen. Is this acceptable to you Tatyana?

Posted by: Capt. Oilybird at July 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

Capt.OilySomething: do you have some mental disability?
Normal people with logical thought processes are acceptable to me. Not arrogant freaks who walk around picking fights на ровном месте.

Posted by: Tatyana at July 18, 2010 at 8:33 am

I too like normal people, but not pedants. BP may have made a buck buying this guy out of jail in Britain to sell to the folks in Libya. This is, you say, corporatism. Do you think it is just?

If you think I was being rude, you are wrong. I think BP are assholes, and they should do jailtime for freeing this terrorist, and so I said so. It was you who decided to pick a fight with your pedantic remark. I can’t believe there is another side to this issue, or that you are on it.

Posted by: Capt. Oilybird at July 18, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Task num.2.

In addition to “corporatism” check out the word “pedantic”.

You don’t understand either one.

Posted by: Tatyana at July 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

so, you are happy to pick up on my english than express disgust that al-Megrahi is a free man.

Wow.

Posted by: Capt. Oilybird at July 19, 2010 at 4:27 am

happier, that should be, just to stop that line of comment.

Posted by: Capt. Oilybird at July 19, 2010 at 4:28 am

I personally love how the Brits are like, “Well it was that gosh darn Scottish executive that did this. Nope, we had nothing to do with it…nothing _at all_.”

Posted by: James at July 19, 2010 at 7:24 am