June 25, 2010

Newsflash: conservatives don’t usually hate Rush Limbaugh, Matt Drudge or other conservatives

The Washington Post has accepted the resignation of Dave Weigel whose beat was conservatives and the Republican party and who got into hot water this week after some comments he made on a liberal list-serv went public.

A lot of conservatives, such as Philip Klein, are on Weigel’s side in the situation.

Ben Smith has a good take, blaming the Washington Post for hiring a liberal blogger to cover conservatives.

As I noted in Philip’s comment section, I’m sure Weigel is a nice guy and yes, private comments taken out of context should not be the measure of the man. But it would be nice, in the fallout of all this, if the Washington Post hired an actual conservative to cover conservatives.

Comments

I think better yet they should hire neutral reporters to cover politics. Somebody who could one day hold the GOP up to scrutiny, the next day the Dems. Somebody who you know you have to brave, and be admired for having done so. I don’t want my news to be an ad for a party.

Posted by: b s meter at June 26, 2010 at 5:02 am

But bloggers usually aren’t reporters. So why not identify biases up front so it isn’t a big deal later?

Posted by: Karol at June 27, 2010 at 2:24 am

I don’t think the problem was the Post hiring a liberal blogger so much it hiring a patently dishonest, backstabbing (liberal) blogger-who thinks thinks he’s much more intelligent than he actually is.

Although the idea of having someone completely foreign to the conservative movement dissect and psychoanalyze its motivations is probably a bad idea, the least its editors could have done was find someone who wasn’t so blindly partisan in his political allegiances.

Posted by: Gerard at June 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm

And the defense invoked in his case, i.e. that he voted for Ron Paul, therefore he’s not really a liberal, is not convincing in the slighest. I voted for Mitt Romney in the 2008 Republican primaries solely because he was the least objectionable candidate left on a very small ballot.

That doesn’t mean he was my primary-or even tertiary-choice for POTUS, or that I voted for him because I’m in agreement with his political philosophy. To infer that Weigel is some sort of libertarian just because he worked for Reason Magazine-which, IMO, only has about a half-dozen genuine libertarians on its staff-or because he voted for Ron Paul in the Republican presidential primaries is a leap of judgment.

Posted by: Gerard at June 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Just another story of someone trying to make a larger name for them self by bashing those who you’ve taken material from for years.

Posted by: Erwin Katz at June 28, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Ooooh wow, that was such a good one. Except that I almost never take anything off Drudge and I never listen to Rush, though I like him in theory. And Weigel wasn’t trying to make a name for himself with that bashing, it was on a private email list.

But other than all that, great comment.

Posted by: Karol at June 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm

If Wiegel could not understand why conservatives oppose gay marriage and resorts to calling us bigots, he should have been fired. This was not mere opinion but showed a fundamental inability to do his job

Posted by: RonL at June 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm