June 22, 2010

Where’s home, exactly?

Mark Steyn has an amazing, must-read piece on where home used to be for Jewish people, and where it must be today.

I’ve written a little on this before. I consider myself an American above all else, but every Jew lives with the information that not so long ago, not even 100 years, in a time remembered by our grandparents, we were welcome nowhere. We were allowed to be slaughtered en masse. This does not mean we don’t owe a debt of gratitude to the countries which eventually saved us from all being killed. But it does me that we need to have an Israel to go to, one armed to the teeth and ready to defend us from all.

Comments

Karol, I’m not disagreeing with you and nothing wrong with the “real” Israel, but isn’t America exactly the armed, defensive Israel you mean?

Posted by: See-Dubya at June 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I’m lucky to live in America. But what about all the Jews who can’t?

Posted by: Karol at June 22, 2010 at 11:44 pm

No, America is not. Outside of the coasts and Northeast corridor there is still a pretty hefty tide of anti-Semitism in America. I’m not saying we’d have a pogrom or anything, but I also wouldn’t put money on us going to the mattress to save a large number of Jews either.

Sorry, but I’m with Karol. At least in Israel you know if the Arabs say, “Okay, that’s it, we’re killing every Jew we can get our hands on…” the majority of the population will stand with you. You know, as opposed to closing the windows, locking the doors, and turning the music up really loud so they don’t hear the screaming.

Posted by: James at June 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Honestly, James, I’ve encountered more anti-Semitism in NY than I ever did deep in my travels and stays in different parts of the US. If they’re Christians, they love Jews. And I love that.

Posted by: Karol at June 23, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I’m not surprised about NYC. The city that brought you Al Sharpton and the Nation of Islam can’t exactly be wonderful for tolerance. However, there is at least a large community of fellow Jews there, so I don’t think you’d ever see organized harassment.

As to the rest–that’s a recent phenomenon, and I’m not 100% sure it’s going to take. I know growing up out here in flyover land Jews were not always spoken of kindly.

Posted by: James at June 24, 2010 at 7:28 am