June 16, 2010

Oh, snap!

It’s never a good thing when your mother-in-law insults your cooking in public…and you’re a professional chef.

UPDATE: NY Times tests her recipe, says it’s bad but not that bad.

Comments

Future mil. Not even that-since Ms.Lee is called “gal pal” in the article…

2 cans of soup…mamma mia!

Posted by: Tatyana at June 16, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Haha, that’s right, boyfriend’s mother. Even worse. But her lasagna does sound disgusting.

Posted by: Karol at June 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Karol, have you checked my blog lately?
I learned how to make a perfect French Berry Tart – and posted pics.

Posted by: Tatyana at June 17, 2010 at 8:26 am

You could make an Italian-style lasagna quickly and easily using spaghetti sauce, store-bought ricotta and some pre-mixed Italian spices. These ingredients are available across the country, and they’re cheap. Why would anyone use cottage cheese and spice-free soup? With cider vinegar..? This makes no sense.

Posted by: Mary at June 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

Tatyana, I will check it out!!

Mary, I have no idea. So gross.

Posted by: Karol at June 17, 2010 at 11:29 am

“Sandra Lee’s lasagna (not pictured)”

Doesn’t that say it all? TOMATO SOUP to make lasagna? And apple cider vinegar? Red wine vinegar, maybe, but I’ve never heard of ACV in lasagna. We don’t even use that kind for adobo (Philippine cooking, not the seasoning in grocery stores).

The funniest comments are about “southerngirl22″ defending Lee’s ability, when you’d think southern people would know better about culinary arts. My daddy was a Yankee, but the best cooking he ever learned was when he lived in the South.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm

James Lileck’s “Gallery of Regrettable Food” appears to be Lee’s cooking bible. I don’t think she got the joke…

Posted by: Mary at June 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

Mary, while I would not actually cook any of Lee’s recipes myself, I come from a culture that will trust Campbell’s Tomato Soup and cottage cheese over anything with too many vowels.

Sad but true.

(My aunt used to make lasagna with cottage cheese. Probably still does. But she started back in the ’70’s, latest, and I doubt ricotta really was available at our local supermarket at the time.)

I give Lee props for thinking outside the box, though. For instance, substituting a good marinara sauce for things like sloppy joes instead of building a base yourself makes life a WHOLE lot easier.

Bottom line, she just knows her audience.

Posted by: Mark Poling at June 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I come from the same culture, but I thought we all learned from our mistakes..

Posted by: Mary at June 20, 2010 at 11:30 pm