May 18, 2010

Ever been to Spain? Tell me about it.

IC and I are planning a summer trip to Spain. Right now our loose itinerary is Madrid (stop in Toledo on the way), Sevilla (Granada and Cordoba maybe), Marbella or Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona. Neither of us have been there before (I’d been to Tenerife but that barely counts) so any and all suggestions are welcome, including route ideas. Thanks!

Comments

I bet if you wait a little bit it’ll be a really cheap trip given what’s happening with the Euro. However, don’t wait too long–social unrest is such a downer for a vacation.

Posted by: James at May 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

My advice is to bring extra money. Loki volcano ash has flights cancelled with no warnings

Posted by: Spaniard at May 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Never. But I’ve been to Arizona. (couldn’t resist)

Posted by: Ray Midge at May 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm

will you be traveling with the baby? if so, that changes things a lot. barcelona is wonderful…granada’s alahambra is a must. cordova, is eh. just eh. sevilla is worth the ride out…but only in the spring/early summer (it’s too hot later in summer). most child friendly will be the larger cities (like Barcelona, Madrid…)

Posted by: spainlover at May 20, 2010 at 1:16 am

also- Sevilla shuts down in August. Most people leave the city (it literally empties out) because of how HOT HOT HOT (temperature) it is. Again, this will be a consideration if you are traveling with a baby.

Posted by: spainlover at May 20, 2010 at 1:18 am

Sevilla is the very best. Lived there for 3 years, and while we did, traveled about – Granada, Huelva, Malaga, Cadiz….Sevilla has La Giralda (the bell tower) and is an architects’ dream. The Alcazar, the cathedral, Maria Luisa Park, the 1929 Exposition Plaza, and just all the narrow streets and alleys give the city some of it’s character. Of course the soul of Sevilla is presented in the flamenco (music and dance).

Its true that the heat of summer can be oppressive, and is a consideration, but the way things are built makes life tolerable, even in the days before air conditioning was common.

My opinion is that the best time to go is during Semana Santa/Feria de Sevilla. The city is fully immersed in it’s history and culture.

Ay, Sevilla, la joya de Espana.

Posted by: kbob in katy at May 21, 2010 at 10:31 am

I took a Eurolines bus from Madrid to Grenada 10 years ago. Grenada strikes me as a great city to visit with a baby, lots of stuff at pedestrian level, and coffee shops every 100 meters or so.

The bus ride was pretty boring though; I fell asleep after the first couple of hours. The bus stopped at a highway rest area in the middle of nowhere; flat dry scrubland as far as I could see, except for the gas station and a big mud or stone building. Everyone got off the bus, and I woke up and followed them. When I saw the mud-colored building, I tried to figure out what it was (I was groggy and thought we had arrived in Grenada.) I asked out loud, “Is that the Alhambra?”

The Spaniards found this remark very amusing. For the rest of the trip, whenever we passed a dilapidated building, the English-speaking people on the bus would tell me, “That’s not the Alhambra.”

I had less fun on the local buses in Grenada. I got on and couldn’t understand the Spanish instructions, so I held out all of the change in my pocket (about $20 worth) and asked, “Cuanto, por favor”? The bus driver took all of my money, put it in his own pocket, and gestured me onto the bus. I hope he lost some money in the recent financial crash. On the other hand, he was nicer than any of the taxi drivers I met in Spain.

Posted by: Jeff Hall at May 27, 2010 at 4:39 pm