April 22, 2010

The problem with Michael Steele

I’ve been mixed about Michael Steele as head of the RNC since the beginning. While I liked him as a candidate for office in Maryland, and preferred him to part-time Chair Mel Martinez, I found his eventual election to RNC Chair to be gimmicky and reeking of “they have a black guy, we have a black guy.”

Two months later, he deviated from established party platform on abortion. I thought this was a huge deal, despite the fact that the position he articulated was my exact position on abortion. The party has a position, it is the Chair’s job to promote and defend it.

And ultimately, that’s the problem I have with his current comments about whether black people have a reason to vote Republican. He says they don’t. Which, would be fine, if he weren’t head of the party! The fact that the head of the party, who is also black, doesn’t think black people have a reason to vote for his party…is a problem. Because, well, it’s his job to convince them otherwise. It’s not some other dude’s job, it’s his! As Patterico points out “the Republican Party is supposed to be better because it stands for principles that help all people, including blacks.” And Patterico concludes “If Michael Steele can’t think of a reason that blacks should vote Republican, get rid of him and install someone who can.” EXACTLY.

Posted by Karol at 09:12 AM |
Comments

This is really an alarming issue to talk about, if this man can’t handle his job ,He rather quit the job go somewhere where he could not harm people inside its own country.

Posted by: Xian Maurer at April 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Fox will have him.

Posted by: Spaniard at April 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm

The Silver Lining of the Health Care Cloud Over Mitt Romney: http://mittromneycentral.com/2010/04/22/the-silver-lining-of-the-health-care-cloud-over-mitt-romney/

Posted by: Dan at April 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Putting aside Steele’s unwaivering ability to put himself above party and damage the party, Steele has been doing a poor job of raising money. Worse, we now find that the entire financial operation is a mess.
I don’t care if this is affirmative action or the Peter Principle at work, but Steele is unable to do the job and should resign posthaste.

Internal RNC probe finds financial controls in disarray

Posted by: RonL at April 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I feel like sending in my resume with a note that says, “If you’re looking for a token black man, I’m at least conservative…”

Posted by: James at April 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm

My impression of the position is that he’s supposed to stay out of the limelight, for the most part, and raise money and plot strategy to elect candidates. If the financial operation is a mess he should go even if he’s a good advocate for the party in the public eye (and he isn’t).

Posted by: Eric at April 22, 2010 at 11:46 pm