March 25, 2010

Where are my Jewish friends who swore Obama would be “as good as Bush” on Israel?

They’re awfully quiet these days:

When the Israeli prime minister stalled, Mr Obama rose from his seat declaring: “I’m going to the residential wing to have dinner with Michelle and the girls.”

As he left, Mr Netanyahu was told to consider the error of his ways. “I’m still around,” Mr Obama is quoted by Israel’s Yediot Ahronot newspaper as having said. “Let me know if there is anything new.”

Sending a clear message of his displeasure, Mr Obama treated his guest to a series of slights. Photographs of the meeting were forbidden and an Israeli request to issue a joint-statement once it was over were turned down.

“There is no humiliation exercise that the Americans did not try on the prime minister and his entourage,” Israel’s Maariv newspaper reported. “Bibi received in the White House the treatment reserved for the president of Equatorial Guinea.”

Comments

Harsh. We usually reserve that kind of treatment for the British prime minister.

Posted by: Eric at March 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm

No, I think a better parallel is the treatment received by Eduard Benes in September 1938, from Neville Chamberlain, the British prime minister. Chamberlain had just met with Germany, France and Italy to solve the Sudetenland problem without involvement by Czechoslovakia and the Soviet Union whose attendance would have prevented an agreement. Daladier and Chamberlain agreed to give Germany the Sudetenland. Hitler then agreed to forego further territorial demands.

Benes protested at this decision, and Chamberlain told him, tough. England wouldn’t fight over the Sudetenland.

I think Obama is sending the same message to Bibi. The interesting question is whether or not Bibi will follow the rest of the Benes playbook. Benes didn’t fight for the Sudetenland and went into exile in London. My guess is that Bibi will definitely fight. Stand by for interesting times.

Posted by: LAG at March 26, 2010 at 10:27 am

I never understand how any Jews can believe that they can live in peace with a muslim. Any Isreal leader who is willing to negotiate with a Muslim is a traitor.

Posted by: Minh at March 26, 2010 at 11:07 am

Barack Obama hates God’s people. That’s how Kanye would say it, right?

The fact is that any of your Jewish friends who told you Obama would be as good as Bush are dumber than both presidents combined. Obama doesn’t care for Israel and Israel can do no good for Obama so that’s pretty much it. Though I love that Israel, the smallest little county, is going to give Obama the finger.

But Obama doesn’t care, he’s off to Mecca Indonesia.

Posted by: elana at March 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I for one am in the non-jew camp and I do not have a religious/cultural bond to the country as is present in most Jewish folks.

However it disturbs me greatly that the United States and Israel are having such cold relations. Without pointing fingers, it appears that both administrations are at fault and need to quit it asap in order to not let their joint enemies gain strength.

Obama visiting countries in the regions besides Israel was a terrible snub.
The Israeli treatement of Biden was also very, very bad.
This latest round of what appears to me as childish drama fits right into the recent pattern.

Israel can live in peace with it’s neighbors however that cannot include Hezzbollah, fatah or the current Iranian administration.

Posted by: dan dee man at March 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm

“Though I love that Israel, the smallest little county, is going to give Obama the finger. ”

Love that?

Bizarre.

Posted by: dan dee man at March 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Obama needs to see that finger. he’s riding too high for someone who hasn’t accomplished a decent thing in over a year. And considering he bows to every foreigner he meets, he could treat one of our greatest allies with a bit of respect.

Posted by: elana at March 26, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Obama needs to watch out around the British housekeeping staff, you know what I mean?

Posted by: Eric at March 26, 2010 at 11:19 pm

he needs to watch out for passeport theft from the Israelies

Posted by: spaniard at March 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm

We talking macro or micro? Because at the end of the day, Bush _expressedly forbade_ the Israelis from striking Iran (it was in the Jerusalem Post in December 08 or thereabouts–I’m not going to dig for the link). Nor did he expedite (as the Israelis requested) delivery of heavy bunker bombers, the bulk of which the Obama Administration has now held up on Diego Garcia to teach the Israelis a lesson. My point is this–once the Iranians get the bomb, all of this stuff is small potatoes, and Bush did not allow the Israelis to slay the dragon when it was a hatchling. Ergo, at the _macro_ level your friends may have had a point.

At the micro level–well, I’m no longer going to be at all surprised when people (i.e., our allies) just stop returning Obama’s phone calls. Should the GOP actually put together a competent message and ground game and seize Congress, I think the President is going to find himself on the receiving end of quite a few slights. Especially as 2012 gets closer and it looks like he won’t be in town anymore.

Posted by: James at March 28, 2010 at 10:18 am

When he dissed the Brit PM and gave an iPod of his speeches to the Queen, I thought that maybe he was new in his position and needed a better protocol officer. Then when the photo of him speaking to Bibi Netanyahu with his feet on his desk showing his soles was published all over the world (except, the American Press didn’t give it much mind), I thought the same thing. The Muslim world loved that picture and took it as proof of Obama’s disrespect for Israel. But now that I’ve seen this POTUS diss other international dignataries, like making the Dalai Lama walk out the back door stepping over bags of garbage and now this outrage with Bibi, I believe they know exactly what they are doing. And the USA should NOT hang out to twist in the wind the only true democracy in the Middle East and one of our staunchest allies!

Posted by: Francois Marie Arouet at March 28, 2010 at 10:45 am

Respect is a 2-way street. But from what I read here, and I doubt this is a unanimous feeling, it seems that folks like to see this snubbing contest between the US Administration and it’s Israeli counterparts.

“Then when the photo of him speaking to Bibi Netanyahu with his feet on his desk showing his soles”
Who the fack cares, what are Israeli’s Iraqi’s now ?

Not one mention of how Biden (who btw I think is a total jackass) got completely blindsided and embaressed while making the administration’s only trip to Israel.

Weapons sales to China and Venezuala have not helped relations either. The payback the U.S. got for letting Israel in on the F-35 was advance military technology sales to China, some ally. Again no mention of that, how strange.

Israel needs the U.S. much more than the U.S. needs Israel, be careful of how much in-fighting you wish for.

Posted by: Dan Dee Man at March 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

Dan,

I’m sorry that you seem to have the uninformed anti-Israeli talking points, but it’s sort of _Congressional law_ that before Israel sells any U.S. technology to a third party, several U.S. agencies (to include DoD) have to bless off on it. (You can look it up in the US code. I, having worked for a defense manufacturer for a while, know the code–but I’ll be d*mned if I’m doing your work for you. Or you can keep talking out the side of your neck.)

However, let’s say that I’m totally wrong. Specifically, what technology have the Israelis sold to the Chinese and Venezualans that was U.S. manufactured or, for that matter, “high tech.” Because I think once you peel that onion back, you’ll find that the Israelis took both China and Venezuela for a good ride. Besides, last I checked, _the U.S._ was not at war with either of those countries.

Finally, regarding the F-35, let’s just say I strongly suspect that we’re going to run out of Astroglide before we’re done screwing over our international partners on that particular platform. Just sayin’, don’t say the Israelis screwed us over on something before we’ve untangled all the hot, sweaty bodies in the pile. Oh, and btw, since we’re talking about convenient omissions, perhaps you’d like to discuss our sales of advanced weaponry to countries who have avowed to destroy Israel?

Posted by: James at April 2, 2010 at 7:52 am

I know America loves Israel, just ask the guy in charge of writing the $10,000,000,000 (That’s BILLION) dollars worth of checks every year! For a very small country we give, yes give, Israel one-third of our total foreign aid budget. If peace is ever to have a fighting chance both side must give something. The people on the other side of the Israeli build wall are living in horrid conditions and the doesn’t seem fair. Continued building of settlements with America’s money doesn’t seem fair or smart.

Posted by: James Bond at April 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm