February 26, 2010

No distance left to run

“It’s over…I knew it would end this way…I hope you’re with someone who makes you feel safe when you’re sleeping tonight…”

Oh, wait, it’s not that kind of break-up:

AP sources: NY Gov. Paterson won’t seek new term

Good riddance, bad rubbish, etc. Unfortunately, it will probably be even worse rubbish next go round. Still, we’re on an excellent streak in NY with our governors, so maybe Andrew Cuomo will only last a few minutes too.

Comments

The New York Democratic Party sinks New York’s First Black Governor for Black History Month. Come celebrate….

Posted by: danielp at February 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm

As a New York Democrat, I hang my head in shame and disgust. But at least we didn’t vote this guy in! Ok, we voted in Spitzer, but I’ll take a skirt chaser over pure incompetence any day of the week.

Question: Is there anyone in the State to replace these idiots? I’ll be willing to vote across party lines for a moderate if he’ll just show leadership qualities and an inclusive social platform! Come to think of it, I’ll do that on a national basis too (Senator, Congressman or President).

#feelingunrepresented

Posted by: Jamie at February 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Jamie: leadership qualities and an inclusive social platform.

Economy is the last thing on your mind, then? I guess you live on a higher plane than the rest of us.

Posted by: Tatyana at February 26, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Jamie, first, I didn’t vote for Spitzer, so when you say “we” it probably doesn’t include a number of alarming newsers.

Second, for an executive seat, we’re voting for a ticket.
Think 2008.
Obama made the wonderful choice of Biden.
Making an issue of that didn’t catch on.
McCain picked Palin.
That seemed to unnerve a lot of liberals that she was a heartbeat away from being president.

So people DO think about who the No. 2 guy is.
Spitzer’s choice of Paterson upset some people because Democrats expected him to choose someone else.

Isn’t this a judgement call for Spitzer?
HE went against his party’s better judgement to choose Paterson has his running mate.

In the last few years, we’ve seen what happens when the Lt Gov isn’t credible.
NJ had to deal with it when McGreevey resigned.
NJ didn’t HAVE a Lieutenant Gov.
If you go thru wikipedia’s order of NJ leadership, you’ll see probably one, maybe two names between McGreevey and Corzine that you didn’t even know about.

NY now has to go through a similar chair-shuffle. If Paterson steps down, we’ll get Ravitch, who in the eyes of many, is not a legal officer. Ravitch should have been voted in similar to how DiNapoli was selected.

Posted by: daniel at February 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Tatyana–I would submit that if you have competent leadership and an inclusive social platform the economy takes care of itself. E.g., you don’t raise taxes in your state in the midst of a really bad recession as that tends to, you know, make most of your high earners move a couple states over so they can still fly their helos into NYC. Not having a village idiot in charge goes a long way to solving most issues.

Personally, if we actually still taught critical thought in most schools this should make the African-American community take a good, long hard look at their reflexive voting for the Dem party. I mean, I personally despise identity politics, but if you’re going to hop on that particular zeppelin then you should have issues when someone plays zippo + hydrogen with your airframe. In short, Cuomo wants the governorship, so the state Dem party decided to leak everything known to man to the NYT. (Because if you think this is the first time a gov has interceded on an aide’s behalf, I have this wonderful suite of bridges to sell you.) Couple that with Pelosi starting to set Charlie Rangel up to get his political throat cut in order to be able to say, “See, we’re more ethical than the GOP…”, and I’d be thinking it might be time for several folks in NYC to stay at home come election day in November. Maybe both Senate seats changing hands and a GOPer winning the governorship might send a message about not taking folks for granted.

Like I said–I hate identity politics with a passion. But this seems like a pretty clear gauntlet to me.

Posted by: James at February 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Jamie- I don’t know why you decided to address your thoughts re: Black voting to me personally (I hope you don’t think my name has anything to do with American Blacks).

Economy, and generally – everything material – is more important to me as a voter than “social issues and leadership skills”. If a candidate states he is going to drop corporate taxes, I can forgive him stupid educational reform, for instance. Or his inability to skip a skirt.

Posted by: Tatyana at February 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Tatyana – That’s not my post. Look again please.

Posted by: Jamie at February 27, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Ah, sorry, my fault.

Posted by: Tatyana at February 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Tatyana–I addressed only the first part to you, as in I was stating that I disagreed with you and agreed with Jamie. The second part wasn’t addressed to you per se but rather a general input to the larger discussion.

I disagree on the latter point also. Generally the guy who is going to drop corporate taxes yet can’t figure out educational reform due to lack of leadership is also a guy whose going to screw up the fine print of the tax reform. Unless you’re arguing that education reform = inclusive social platform while corporate tax reform does not. I guess I hate throwing up walls, as I think all tax reform is part of inclusive social platforms.

Posted by: James at February 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Ok, we voted in Spitzer

Posted by: Jamie at February 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm

No, “we” didn’t. People like you voted him in. I told everyone within shouting distance that Elliot Spitzer was a pathological liar, and a megalomaniacal lunatic who would be a disaster once he became governor.

I voted for John Faso.

Posted by: Gerard at February 27, 2010 at 11:40 pm

“the economy takes care of itself.”

James, I’m not sure what your particular politics are, but this statement just by itself is more true than virtually all Americans realize. We don’t need the government “helping” the economy except by leaving it alone. Paterson has talked a pretty-sounding line on Albany’s spending, but in the end he’s looking to hike taxes on this and that, but calling it “raising revenue.”

Oh, I could laugh if only I didn’t live in the Vampire State (a term originated by Martin McPhillips).

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I’m a firm member of the “Pragmatic” Party, i.e. whatever works (within the Constitution). I think that our nation’s largest problem is how many people even know the Constitution yet still have the franchise?

It ticks me off when I hear “I’m going to vote for _____ because he believes in [insert single issue]” or “I’m not going to vote out Congress Critter X, I like him.” But those same people will say in the same breath they hate Congress with the passion of a 1000 suns.

Posted by: James at February 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Perry, I don’t think your criteria for choosing a political candidate is his “inclusive social platform” and suppose leadership skills; I hope you would cast your ballot without inquiring about his economic views.

And where, pray tell, this “leader” is going to lead, if all he’s requested to do is to have “inclusive social platform”? It’s all fine to dream about economically non-invasive government; I’d like that too – but as a practical matter it ain’t gonna happen any time soon, not in this state, at least.

As I said, I could care less about social platform -as long as the spending shrinks and taxes (personal and on businesses, etc) are cut.

Primate of material matter: the only thing Marx was right on.

Posted by: Tatyana at March 1, 2010 at 1:51 am

Tatyana, I’m not sure I understand your phrasing. Are you making an observation about my own beliefs, or just stating them in general? I don’t recall that I ever mentioned anything about a “social platform,” inclusive or otherwise.

When it comes to both a “social platform” and economic views, my belief is that government needs to leave people alone.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at March 3, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Perry: no, you didn’t; James did; see James’ first comment and my subsequent conversation with him(her?) and James. You agreed with James – w/o, I think, reading the rest of the thread and remainder of his opinion.

Posted by: Tatyana at March 6, 2010 at 7:41 pm

OK, but you see that nowhere was I talking about a “social platform” or anything close. (By now, though, you know me well enough to realize my position there.) I was simply agreeing with one particular phrase James said.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at March 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I should add, I did read the rest of what he had written and didn’t feel like commenting at the time. My aggressive style notwithstanding, just because I don’t pick something apart doesn’t mean I necessarily agree with it. :)

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at March 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm

That’s comforting; I almost thought the worlds are collapsing!

Posted by: Tatyana at March 9, 2010 at 2:12 am