February 19, 2010

Two weeks of Sadie

IMG_4827

IMG_4828

IMG_4836

IMG_4761

It’s been an amazing, surreal two weeks. It feels both longer (we’ve known her forever) and shorter (seems like she was born just yesterday). We are totally mesmerized by her. It’s awesome.

Top 5 frequently asked questions:

1. Are you sleeping at all?

Surprisingly, YES. We don’t want to jinx it, but it’s so much better than we were told it would be. She’s sleeping 3-4 hours at a time so on good nights I’m only getting up once. She’s also a fairly textbook baby (so far); cries when she’s hungry, cold or needs to be changed. Not a lot of mystery most of the time.

2. Is she a redhead?

Not really. When she was born there was some reddish hair at the sides but her hair seems to be dark blonde/light brown. It might change with time but she’s not rhizhiya right now.

3. Why “Sadie”?

I wanted to name her after my beloved grandmother Sarra. A Russian version of “Sarah”, “Sarra” is pronounced with a strong roll of the “r”, almost sounding like Zarra or Sahra. I didn’t feel like I could count on our child’s name being pronounced as I would’ve liked (and didn’t want to doom her to a lifetime of correcting people) so instead decided to use Sarra as her middle name and still honor my grandmother by giving our daughter a name that also starts with an “S”. And, well, Sadie was pretty much the only name IC and I agreed on. Additional bonus was that Sadie was originally a nickname for Sarah, before becoming a name on its own. Oh, and in Hebrew her name will be שָׂרָה/Sarah. So, triple ode to Sarra.

4. Will you be teaching her Russian?

Yep. And my husband will be teaching her Hebrew. It helps that our moms are/were both teachers of these languages. We’ll see how it goes but we’d love for her to be tri-lingual right from the start.

5. Are you starting a baby blog?

Maybe. I was sure I wouldn’t but like any new hobby/project/interest, I feel the need to start a specialized blog about it. It’s an illness. It’s not definite, but I’m considering it.

Comments

Precious!

Posted by: duchess rebecca at February 19, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Such a little sweetheart!

Posted by: Kensington at February 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Best in Show!

Posted by: tom elliott at February 19, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I dunno, Karol, on the last photo your hair look exactly the same color! You are both ryzhyi, and don’t argue!

Glad you were able to sleep and to establish a distinct schedule. She seems well-fed and generally happy with her life so far!

Look at those tiny doll fingers…

Posted by: Tatyana at February 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Not all babies are cute, but that is a cute baby.

Posted by: J.R. Taylor at February 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

J.R. is right, there are some ugly babies out there (I had one, he grew out of it) but she’s a little cutie, and cute tends to stick.

Posted by: Mark Poling at February 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Pretty baby…pretty momma, too !

Make sure you get her registered to vote in time for November. She’s one more vote for our side !

Posted by: IAmTheWalrus at February 21, 2010 at 12:18 am

Oh, I’m so ashamed for being offline too long. She’s gorgeous! You’re gorgeous! And that hair looks red to me. Congratulations, lady. You do good work.

Posted by: Tanya at February 21, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Congrats Karol – she is adorable.

I wish you, pee-wee, hubby and everyone else are doing great!

Posted by: Radical Redneck at February 23, 2010 at 4:38 am

I remember my mom telling me a story about this guy she daetd named Brian Carroll who she broke up with because he was into big irish families and wanted six kids.
I told her that a better explanation was you didn’t want to go through life being known as Carol Carroll.
Surprisingly, she never thought of that she said.

So, to keep it simple, “Why Sadie?” just say, It’s my favorite Beatles tune. :)

Posted by: danielp at February 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm

[...] any of my wildest dreams, on the most beautiful beach, with our family and best friends around us. Ten months later we were blessed with a daughter. Everyone thinks their child is the most incredible and I am no [...]

Posted by: Thankful at November 27, 2010 at 11:38 am