February 4, 2010

He’s just so spiritual, maaaaan

J.P. Freire finds a recent Washington Post article on Obama’s faith highly suspicious. I do too. It’s almost as if he’s trying to appeal to those who “cling” to religion at the same time letting the non-religious know he’s one of them too. Best line in Freire’s piece:

“Pardon my saying this, but why do his advisers know that he prays privately if he … prays privately?”

Comments

I know a religous, future presidential candidate who’s not a phony about it…..no, it’s not the fraud from massachusetts or Sarah Baracuda

Posted by: Larry at February 4, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Personally, I don’t care about religious-ness one way or another. But this article stinks of PR placement in a big, big way.

Posted by: Karol at February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm

everything Barry has been doin lately is PR…the 2011 budget freeze was PR, the Q&A with Republicans, etc…

Posted by: Larry at February 4, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Just as one can know that a person masturbates, but not be privy to when, where or how the act takes place.

Posted by: Doc Washboard at February 5, 2010 at 12:12 am

In other words, Doc Washboard brags to his friends about his masturbation habits.
Awesome !

Obama has still yet to “find” a church in DC.
Gee, he’s only been in Washington since January 2005.

Maybe he’s not looking very hard.

Posted by: IAmTheWalrus at February 5, 2010 at 12:36 am

That is a super odd comparison. I would not then assume it happens, just because most people do it.

Posted by: Karol at February 5, 2010 at 1:50 am

Actually, Walrus, you were the example I had in mind here, as its clear that the only action you ever get is when you and Rosie Palm go out on a “date.”

Posted by: Doc Washboard at February 5, 2010 at 9:13 am

That is a super odd comparison.

I’m a super-odd person.

Posted by: Doc Washboard at February 5, 2010 at 9:14 am

With all the time he spends playing golf, going to basketball games and praying, it’s a wonder he has found the time to save 132 million jobs.

Posted by: Tex in the City at February 5, 2010 at 11:42 am

Clearly our resident troll had something on his mind. It isn’t the first time he revealed himself in what he projected onto others.

As for me, I follow Matthew 6:

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I’m a super-odd person.

No! Really?

Posted by: Tatyana at February 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Perry, I think you would do better to follow Matthew 7:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Or maybe Matthew 5:

Or this little gem from I Kings 16:

Which I guess means that peeing on walls is pretty bad.

Posted by: Jamie at February 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Eh, who cares, you have a undoubtedly beautiful baby to concern yourself with now which is way more fun. Congrats!!

Posted by: elana at February 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm

What? Elana – do you know something we don’t? Did baby arrived already?

Posted by: Tatyana at February 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Tatyana: Check out Karol’s last update on twitter

Posted by: Alceste at February 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I tried, Perry, but I couldn’t make it through the scripture. That stuff always puts me to sleep. Better luck next time.

Posted by: Doc Washboard at February 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Doc Washboard, now that you’ve giddily devolved the thread into eighth grade level speculations about masturbation, maybe you should change that monniker of yours to “Doc WashHands.”

Back to the real topic “at hand,” it just occurred to me, why would Obama need to find a church when he’s “The One” ?

Most of Obama’s comrades worship The State, anyhow.

Posted by: IAmTheWalrus at February 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Perry, Has your church kidnapped any kids lately?

Posted by: Jizzmen at February 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm

YAY TO SADIE SARRA!

Posted by: Tatyana at February 5, 2010 at 5:39 pm

So Jamie, you want to try your hand at theology? Think twice.

“Judge not, that ye be not judged.”

This quote is completely out of context. This in no wise says to never judge in any situation, but rather was directed toward hypocrites.

The actual quote is: “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.”

I, in fact, pass judgment with the same standards I’d apply toward myself. For example, I don’t live my life off other people’s labor. I don’t go out and “vote” so my neighbors can pay for things I want.

And unlike you, I don’t quote things out of context (or need to). Unlike Washboard, I don’t lie (or need to).

“But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

You silly liberals, always with a reading comprehension problem. How does that say I can’t expose you for the cowards and liars you are?

“Which I guess means that peeing on walls is pretty bad.”

It isn’t surprising that you can’t understand the passage. Try reading it literally:

“And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.”

Zimri killed everyone in the house of Baasha who was capable of urinating against a wall — meaning he killed every male of the family and even their allies, to utterly destroy the house.

This really isn’t hard to understand if you think about it. You don’t even have to believe the Bible. You just have to read the chapter in context and let the hamster inside your head resuming running on that little wheel. I’d also recommend that you stop acting like Washboard, i.e. stop quoting things out of context. You’ll only make yourself look stupid when you rely on cherry-picked verses that discovered on various websites and/or had forwarded to you.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

“Perry, Has your church kidnapped any kids lately?”

Of course not, and how unsurprisingly that you’re quick to believe the lies. You’re so ready to bash Christians that you’re willing to join in the lie.

Tell us, how is it “kidnapping” and “child trafficking” to bring impoverished children, evidently with their parents’ permission, to an orphanage for adoption?

They’re bringing children to better lives, and they’re arrested (instead of being turned away!) for merely lacking one last document from a government that’s all but extinct? This will be the 21st century defition of “ingratitude.”

It appears that their own lawyer tried to shake them down. Who’s surprised? We can expect every link in the chain to demand a “cut.”

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm

“Back to the real topic “at hand,””

Walrus, my friend, did you forget who we’re dealing with? He’ll never give a straight answer when confronted, preferring to ignore and change the topic once it’s evident he’s been beaten again.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm