January 28, 2010

Song of the Day

“Thinking about you” by Radiohead.

I’m positive, positive, this is a Song of the Day repeat but I am too lazy to look it up and ultimately don’t care anyway. I wish Radiohead still sounded like this. They used to sound intimate, like you were really getting a true look into what their music was about. Lyrics like “they don’t know what I know” sound personal and real. Now their sound and lyrics are so removed, the effects on Thom Yorke’s voice are there to mask any insight we might get into what he’s singing about. For example, Idoteque, a song I actually like (probably the last song I liked by them) is about…what? I’m not making this up, either, Thom Yorke actually said he does this and that he “used a vocal manipulation to distance himself from the title track’s [of Kid A] “brutal and horrible” subject matter, which he could not have sung otherwise.” Just wondering, though, anyone know what that “brutal and horrible subject matter” of that title track might be? Here is the song, here are the lyrics. I have not a clue. Anyway, my Song of the Day:

Comments

To the extent the lyrics were actually supposed to mean anything (and frankly, I think they were just trying to make sounds), I think he was talking about the album as a whole (war, women and children first in the bunker and the whole apocalyptic stuff) and not just the title track (which is nonsense). (From a super-quick websearch, the article cited in wikipedia just refers to “Kid A” without the title track language.)

Posted by: Alceste at January 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I’m glad we agree the first track is gibberish. :-) Interesting that the line is misquoted on Wikipedia. I think if I still liked Radiohead I might go in and fix it. But, nah.

Posted by: Karol at January 28, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Strange thing is I actually really like Kid A (the album) now, and it’s the only radiohead album in the current listening rotation (primarily when playing poker) — I pretty much listen to yorke’s voice as a funky musical instrument — with the exception of hail to the thief, it seems to be all about the sound of the voice rather than the lyrics being sung in the later albums.

(And shouldn’t you be having a child and not listening to old radiohead songs?)

Posted by: Alceste at January 28, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Kid A was the last Radiohead album I tolerated, but I thought it was a huge drop down from OK Computer. There was a version of “How to disappear completely” that came out before the album which I LOVED but then the version on the album was merely ok.

And the baby loooooves early Radiohead. She was kicking like crazy when I was listening to “Anyone can play guitar” earlier today. Hope she likes it as much on the outside.

Posted by: Karol at January 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Your baby is going to like Miley Cyrus. Not a knock on your parenting skills, just the reality of how kids work.

Posted by: Jamie at January 28, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I liked all the music my parents liked, Beatles, Stones, etc. even their embarrassing stuff like Elton John, Rod Stewart and Billy Joel. If anything, my parents actually abandoned me in their music taste because my father LOVES Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift and my mom has suddenly picked up Russian music.

Posted by: Karol at January 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I love the live version of this song. Adore it. Favorite break up song ever.

Posted by: Petitedov at January 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm

“Let Down” from OK Computer is one of the saddest rock songs of all time.

Unfortunately, what’s even sadder, is the way the band devolved into crap following that album. And they’re so predictably left wing, they’re a cliche.

Posted by: IAmTheWalrus at January 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm

“I would suggest that Thom Yorke open his eyes to the real world, but that might be interpreted as being insensitive to his eye affliction.”

This is too funny, Thom Yorke DOES live in the real world in the sense that he knows how the world works politically and economically. These are the two subjects he writes about most along with love and its many facets.
It’s hard at times to fathom what his lyrics mean in a literal sense but a casual glance will always reveal at least some meaning. I assume therefore that the posters here haven’t even bothered to try an decipher his lyrics, probably because the messages would not be well received.

Posted by: dicky at February 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm