December 23, 2009

Personally I think they oversampled the Upper West Side*

NY least happy place in the United States

*While the UWS is my home, and I am pretty damn happy, I consider it the most unhappy, frazzled area in NYC.  I mostly blame Fairway.

Posted by Karol at 12:09 AM |
Comments

Shouldn’t people on the upper East Side be more depressed, because of the massive pollution and all? Or at the very least, the people who live on that gigantic oil spill in Newton Creek?

Posted by: Gerard at December 23, 2009 at 10:21 am

No surprise at all and yes-the UWS is a place full of miserable people. Scott Stringer is the king of this land of woe and sorrow where people do not get married, have no kids, have Riverside Park as the only conduit to nature, reject all forms of faith and worship that awful statue of Eleanor Roosevelt by the Trump buildings. Of course they do have the best restaurant in the world at 83rd and Amsterdam….

Posted by: Von Bek at December 23, 2009 at 10:50 am

Oh Von Bek, they have kids I assure you. It’s filled with angry moms. Went to Brunch at that “best restaurant in the world” recently, and it was filled with kids. The food was still awesome. (We’re talking about Fred’s, for those interested).

Gerard, I lived on the UES for 7 years and found it to be extremely happy place. I’ve seen at least 2 shoving matches at Fairway between old people and never saw such a thing on UES. Whether it’s the post-college kids who are full of hope (and beer), the Park Ave ladies who lunch, or the moms in Juicy suits picking up their kids, they are in much better moods than their UWS counterparts. A friend of mine made the crack that those upper east siders are all on prozac, but I don’t care how they get that way. I just like that they’re not angry and pushy.

Posted by: Karol at December 23, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Ah excellent news, Karol. Glad you enjoyed.

I’ll take your word on the kids. I don’t remember any when I was living there though I do remember bunches of kids on the East Side and in Morningside Heights. Either my memory fails me or, ten years ago, for some reason all the children on the UWS were hanging out on West End which I almost never went on–but then I never knew where the cool kids ever hung out.

Anyways, hope you and yours–and all the readers–enjoy the holidays.

Posted by: Von Bek at December 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm

the UWS is definitely worse off than the UES. Seems being a granola eating, vegan, dairy free liberal makes you a really pissed off prick. Thank god UESiders eat their meat.

Posted by: elana at December 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I’m glad you cleared that up, cause HiLife Bar and Grille is nowhere near the best restaurant in the world, and that’s what I thought you were referring to.

Posted by: Oschisms at December 23, 2009 at 8:28 pm

On the one hand, Fairway is the best grocery store in the world.

On the other hand, the Brooklyn one has everything the UWS does with less insane crowding.

Posted by: someone at December 23, 2009 at 11:50 pm

New Yorkers are less happy because they’re Democrats.

And of course, because they’re less happy…they vote Democrat.

Ron Paulistinians are unhappy people, too, but not too many of them live in NYC, and certainly not on the upper west side.

Posted by: IAmTheWalrus at December 24, 2009 at 2:03 pm

HiLife bites though if memory serves they have a picture of an old pro wrestler hanging up. Sadly thats the hightlight of the place.

Posted by: Von Bek at December 27, 2009 at 8:53 pm