November 30, 2009

Second Huck-released killer goes on to kill again

He’ll probably say G-d told him to pardon the convicted killer.  But it’s likely just the voices in his head.

Not that I think Huck had a real shot at being president anyway, but this is potentially the end of the road for the Huckster.  Let us pray.

Comments

Fleetwood Mac is singing…”tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies”…

I figured the haters would come out in full effect…he didn’t pardon this guy..he commuted his sentence based on recommendations….that made him parole eligible and the parole board let him go….this guy then violated parole and was re-arrested, but then charges were dropped by the prosecution…..Huck commuted a 60 year sentence for a 17 year old that committed felony robbery…

we don’t know all the facts, but that never stops the vultures from painting their own story….unfortunately, I think this might be the end of Huck.

Marco Rubio 2016!

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Yes, Ben Smith has not updated his post to reflect that it was clemency and not a pardon. But seriously, that makes not one iota of difference. If even you, Huck-crazed Larry, admits it’s all over for Huck, then he clearly must have done something very wrong.

Posted by: Karol at November 30, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I say it’s over because of perception and how the vultures will attack…particulary bitches like michelle malkin, etc…

it’s all about perception…whether he did something wrong isn’t even the issue

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Michelle is amazing, how can you call her names? Just because she doesn’t like your boy? That’s stupid.

Posted by: Karol at November 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm

apparently this guy was in jail 6 days ago and was released on 150k bond…I think you can blame Washington state authorities more then Huck..but that will be overlooked i’m sure

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Larry, fair or not for Huck, this thing is going to stick to him like road tar. The ‘Willie Horton’ ads just wrote themselves. He’s done.

It’s not unlike how the economic disaster belongs to Obama. Is it his fault? ‘No’, but that’s irrelevant. He owns this turd, and it’s going to sink him.

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at November 30, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Snoop,

unfortunately, I agree…hope I’m wrong…if I were him, I’d be aggressive in accepting some responsibility

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Larry,

You want Huck to accept responsibility for something you already said he’s not responsible for just because it’s politically convenient? Isn’t this exactly the sort of moral murkiness we detest in our leaders? I’m looking for the kind of incorruptibility that will let him say he is or isn’t responsible and *mean* it.

Posted by: Jamie at November 30, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I would say that commuting a sentence of a violent man at the protestations of prosecuters is a serious lack in judgment. Out here in good old Kalifornia, former Govenor Davis, despite his lack of competence on evertything else, never waivered on clemency or commuiting the sentence of any violent criminal. You decisions on commutation must be done with a deliberate and lengthy consultation. I understand this Clemmons character had a very long sentence. To deflect criticism to the parole board or Washington state officials ignore the central issue. He should never have been let out in the first instance. Those other entities’ blame are merely salt in a very bad wound.

Posted by: Rick at November 30, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Jamie,

I think there’s some peripheral blame towards Huck…he could have denied clemency…but no way is he responsible…but he needs to take some responsibility because the media, pundits, talking heads, etc…will distort the facts…and enough people will believe it.

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Rick,

Let’s get something clear….he commuted the sentence of someone who committed a crime when they were 17, not 27 or 37……after this guy was released by the parole board, he was re-arrested, but the prosecution screwed up the case and had to drop charges….then he was arrested in washington state and released on bond last week…the Arkansas prosecutors and Washington state are responsible.

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I’d prefer a President who wouldn’t let God tell him it was morally sound to let anybody out of jail who’d go on to kill again. I’d also like a President whose followers aren’t so insecure that they’re reduced to calling Michelle Malkin a “bitch” just because their candidate is a true socially-liberal moron.

Posted by: SoForgiving at November 30, 2009 at 7:49 pm

SoForgiving,

you’re not very forgiving…

so now Huck is a fiscal and social liberal…he must also be a communist, socialist, etc…

I give the man credit for not doing what’s politically correct, but doing what he thinks is best…it would be easy and safe to deny commutation for everyone….he ain’t perfect….and he didn’t free these people…he made them eligible to be freed…big difference

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Larry, you are truly delusional. God has instructed Huck to be the most politically-correct Republican with any national standing, and that’s why an independent candidate will sooner get my vote if Huck is on the national ticket. Or “would have gotten my vote,” if God is merciful to conservatives and was just fooling around with Huck, and has now left the poor sap without any hope of future campaigns.

Posted by: SoForgiving at November 30, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Larry, since I do not have time to check out the criminal background of felons (I am working so I can pay for all the new people to be given health insurance), I do not profess to know the history of dear old Maurice. What apparently is true is that the prosecuters protested the commutation. Why didn’t he listen to them? So he commutted the sentence because he was only 17. Like I said you do not commute a sentence because a crime was committed when you were 17. That’s felony stupid. Answer me this? Why should we be so forgiving anyway? Because that’s the the nice thing to do? In any situation? G_d didn’t give us a brain so as not to use it. His response to this whole situation is essentially not my fault. That’s no leader.

Posted by: Rick at November 30, 2009 at 11:25 pm

after learning a few more facts in the case, It’s clear Huck acted reasonably….you talk about the prosecutors, but the judge in the case strongly recommended clemency…the other thing is that his sentenced was commuted to 47 years; with eligibility for parole.

if you look at the crimes the 16 yr old at the time committed, his sentence was way too harsh…Huck is a common sense, reasonable person….the blame should be on the arkansas prosecutors who screwed up the case a few years later when he was arrested again and the judges in Washington state for letting him out on bond last week.

Posted by: Larry at November 30, 2009 at 11:47 pm

The problem with Huck and I suppose almost any politician is that the first instinct is to deflect blame, especially when it looks bad. It makes it hard to follow someone like that. Again, what made Maurice’s case so special that his sentence was commuted? I am sure there were other felons that committed their crimes when they were 17 similar to Clemmons. Besides, that the judge strongly recommended it means nothing to me. That is not his job function. Now this judge set a precedent for himself. He can’t pick and choose who he wishes clemency as you say.

Posted by: Rick at December 1, 2009 at 12:07 am

“After learning a few more facts in the case,” says Larry, “it’s clear Huck acted reasonably.” Bryan suddenly has competition as the resident laughingstock.

Posted by: SoForgiving at December 1, 2009 at 1:19 am

this clemmons guy was entenced to 108 years in jail for robbery and possesion of a weapon…and he was 16 yrs old…at that time, the punishment did not fit the crime…huck could have done the political correct thing to do, but I think he tried to be fair.

but like I said, I think this will most likely crush huck.

P.S. Huck did take some responsibility on O’reilly tonight

Posted by: Larry at December 1, 2009 at 2:11 am

Get a clue, Larry. They’re free. Like Karol said, why should someone take responsibility for something you say he’s not responsible for? Stop dodging the fucking question like you always do: give a straight answer for once.

The Huckster is responsible because of his participation. Without his power of commutation, that animal would still be behind bars.

“he commuted the sentence of someone who committed a crime when they were 17, not 27 or 37……”

He was someone who committed multiple crimes for which the total sentence added up to 108 years. You don’t think that people in their late teens are already capable of any evil? Didn’t you ever hear of John Broderick Hehman? Go look up how old his attackers were.

Clemmons could have been 16 when committing the original crimes, and I’d have still said to lock him up forever. Guess what: when we let animals like that out, people die. As I say to myself when I see teens committing armed robbery, rapes, etc., they need to be locked up to save lives in the future. Imprisonment as a deterrent is much more than dissuasion. It means that criminals locked up can’t commit more crimes.

“but the judge in the case strongly recommended clemency”

Oh, so you believe in some sort of…judicial infallability? Edward Cashman comes to mind.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at December 1, 2009 at 2:39 am

This hurts Huck and well it should. Make no mistake about it though-conservative Christians from the Heartland will find another champion and will continue to hold a large seat at the Republican table. Assuming that Huck is not running in 2012, my guess would be this helps Palin a great deal. I don’t see Huck backers flocking to the Mitt standard for a host of reasons (flip flops, faith, going your own way vs having Daddy as governor and in the Cabinet). Of course they could raise someone out of the second tier the way they did Huck last time. Regardless, if Huck is out, this could make some interesting positioning in the GOP.

Posted by: Von Bek at December 1, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Perry,

1) you’re a douche

2) you think someone who at the age of 16 commits burglary and robbery deserves 108 years in jail?

3) I stated above why he should admit responsibility for his role…I’m not repeating myself.

4) you’re a douche

Posted by: Larry at December 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

5 felonies Larry. Guess what? The judge, was a minister who had Huck’s ear. And the Duvand (sp?) character whose sentence was also comuuted and then raped and killed, the man who had Huck’s ear was a minister. And, Clemmons letter mentioned being brought up in a Christian environment. What’s the consistent thread? While I appreciate redemption and everything and someone turning their life around, that view has no place in the commutation business. Huck’s job was to protect the citizens of Arkansas and society, and not being bamboozled by a multiple convicted felon who spouted Christianity as a wedge. BTW, Huck’s commutations doubled that of his 3 predecessors combined.

Posted by: Rick at December 2, 2009 at 1:54 am

Rick,

everything I’ve read, the kid committed 2 crimes..burglary & robbery…maybe from those 2 crimes, they came up with 5 felonies, but it was 2 crimes….and the sentence was much harsher then other similar crimes.

you mention all the commutations he gave out, but he also executed 15-20 people..more then any other governor, I believe.

Posted by: Larry at December 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Is that all you can come up with? “You’re a douche, you’re a douche!”

You don’t have to repeat yourself. Just answer the question for once, which you didn’t above. Or in your warped reality, being a “douche” is making someone? Gotcha.

Better yet, just shut up once and for all, you goddamn moron. You haven’t a shred of common sense or intelligence.

At 16, he committed such violent acts that totaled 108 years, so ABSOLUTELY he should have been kept behind bars. There’s a great L&O:CI line: “Your parole officer hasn’t been born yet.”

Your messiah is wrong on the “Fair” Tax, wrong on crime, wrong on taxes, and I have to wonder if he’s “right” in his religious beliefs except for the wrong reason. I, a Southern Baptist, would sooner worship at a mosque than attend a service where that liar is preaching. And you…well, you’re just wrong on everything.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at December 4, 2009 at 12:51 pm

everything I’ve read,

And what does that mean, precisely? What sources? What news articles?

Considering every comment of yours shows limited reading comprehension ability, we know at the least that you’re referring to very little.

Sure, sure, in your warped reality, it was only violent robbery. He didn’t really mean to do it!

Did you ever stop to think (well fuck me, who am I asking that of!) that his future actions showed he was a bad seed who should have been disposed of? Did you ever stop to think that, hmm, killing four people showed that the original sentence WAS right, to keep him locked up so the rest of us could be safe?

And that’s supposed to make us feel better? He commuted sentences for a dozen murderers.

He has issued more commutations and pardons than all of the six neighboring states combined.

No, Huckabee isn’t Michael Dukakis. He’s worse. Here’s someone who tried to rape a woman, then killed her by running her over twice, and the SOB was actually able to apply for clemency? The very fact that your messiah was considering it at all shows the most absurd judgment.

What a wonderful president he’d make. He could pardon Zacarias Moussaoui! After all, he didn’t personally kill people, right?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at December 4, 2009 at 1:16 pm