September 22, 2009

Waaaaaah

I got a flu shot today and I’m dying. I haven’t had the flu in a couple of years but I can’t imagine that it’s worse than what I’m feeling right now.

Nobody make the requisite joke about bearing children being slightly more painful than some flu-like symptoms.

I’ll be back tomorrow, I have to go back to whining now.

Comments

Yes, same thing happened to me after my last flu shot and my last (not needed) Hep B booster. My flu shot is due the day after my birthday, and then I have a swine flu shot to look forward to after that. Rubbish.

Posted by: bryan at September 23, 2009 at 2:12 am

Take a Tylenol and drink some gatorade, or a bowl of salty soup. That should make you feel better and you can post something more entertaining.

Posted by: vinny at September 23, 2009 at 7:25 am

Oh.
Doesn’t make sense now to ask you why did you do it; too late.
Get some chicken soup, 3 boxes of Kleenex, and try to think of a beautiful Italian countryside…
Get well, pronto.

Posted by: Tatyana at September 23, 2009 at 11:15 am

Tatyana,
My doc said it’s a must for pregnant women. And I have to get the swine flu one when it comes out too.

Posted by: Karol at September 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

The flu shot has never given me flu like symptoms. It just left my arm sore.
What’s normal to have symptoms or not have any symptoms after getting the flu shot?

Posted by: PAUL at September 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Apparently it’s different for everyone. I get symptoms every time I get it but this year was the worst, probably because of lowered immune system due to baby.

Posted by: Karol at September 23, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Karol, I am not so sure about getting the swine flu shot if you are pregnant. Some of the companies making this vaccine use live attenuated virus. It’s not out yet, but check with your doc to see what exactly you’re getting and that it’s been tested in pregnant women.

Posted by: vinny at September 23, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I wouldn’t do it, doctor or no doctor. Vaccination is a mild form of disease it’s supposed to inoculate you against. When you already have your immune system weakened (pregnancy would do it to you), the “mild” component disappear; why go and voluntarily get yourself sick?
Of course, you’re in 2nd trimester so you’re over that danger, but when I was in the 1st, I had to be hospitalized and lie in bed [doing nothing! it was torture!] for 2 weeks because I caught a normal, regular, nothing extraordinary flu: apparently statistically during flu epidemic the number of miscarriages spikes up.
Regardless the timing, I think it’s better to err on the side of caution; don’t pick up heavy stuff and don’t run. Lie down and read..or write blog posts!

Posted by: Tatyana at September 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Pregnant women are at the head of the line for the swine flu shot because they’re so much more susceptible to it. URG, we’ll see.

Posted by: Karol at September 23, 2009 at 11:37 pm