July 27, 2009

Oh, Sarah.

My old foe Signor Ferrari commented a few posts below asking my opinion on Sarah Palin. I’ve been meaning to write something on her, so here is where I stand:

I think Sarah Palin was a smart, capable woman who was thrust into the national spotlight before she was ready. This pretty much destroyed her.

One thing no one ever mentions about her (and something I actually picked up from a McCain staffer who hates her) is that one of the main reasons she flubbed so many answers during the campaign was that she wasn’t answering for herself but for the McCain campaign. She could probably tell you which Supreme Court decisions she agrees or disagrees with, but likely had no idea which ones McCain agreed or disagreed with, she just didn’t have the time to memorize all of his quirky opinions. She’s best when she’s being herself, she could not be herself as McCain’s running mate.

Having said all that, I maintain that stepping down from her governorship ends her political career. America might overlook inexperience, they did in electing Barack Obama, but they won’t overlook quitting a post to which you were elected to trapaise around the country running for president for 3 years. They rather you neglect your duties, again like Obama, than abandon them completely.

I could be wrong. She could become some type of spokesperson for the Republican party, she doesn’t have a job after all and talking is pretty easy, and make a roaring comeback in ‘12 or ‘16. But I doubt it. She can never pick up the managerial experience she was getting as governor anywhere else. And if she couldn’t handle the hassles of being governor of Alaska, how could she ever be president?

Comments

I’m not convinced she wants to be President. I think she realizes she can do more to help Republicans by being able to speak freely and not as a Governor.
She also needs to make money because of legal bills ect. I know I will be one of the first ones to buy her book and read her version of events with the McCain campaign. She deserves to make some money I might add.
Even if she doesn’t run for Pres. Her endorsement of whatever candidate will bring the Americans that adore her to his side.
I’m not convinced her political career is over either. Reagan floated his name for President long before he actually ran. Years will give her wisdom and maturity.

Posted by: Rightwingsparkle at July 27, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Reagan was governor of California for 8 years. She was governor of Alaska for 3 years and didn’t finish out her term.
Again, I’m not a Palin-hater. I’ll likely still wear my “Sarah Palin is my homegirl” shirt around the Upper West Side. But I don’t see her being president after this. Maybe you’re right and she doesn’t want to be. But I think she does and this is a huge misstep.

Posted by: Karol at July 27, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Ayuh. She is done, she might be able to get into the clerical pool, but not POTUS. Two undisuptuable facts stand in her way.
1.) Being POTUS is way harder then being gov of anywhere except maybe Georgia, Republic of, back in the day. So if she couldn’t take the heat being a gov there is no way in hell she could handle POTUS.
2.) Quitting a job, any job, halfway through, except cleaning out a septic tank by hand (that’s just stupid), bailing out on any job. Never, Ever, not in a million bejillion years ever looks good on a future resume.
“So, it is Ms, Mrs, Palin? Thank you for coming in for this quick little sitdown.”
“I see you are applying for POTUS, very popular these days, lots of applicants”
“Hmm, It says you were Governor of Alaska, but quit about half way through? Oh, I see. You were having “difficulties”, so you left for personal reasons then?”
“ok, well thank you for coming in. I’m glad we met, we will be in touch after the interview process is over. We will let you know.”

Posted by: WayneSMT at July 27, 2009 at 1:50 pm

It all rather depends what she does with this time ahead- well aimed jabs at Obama, fundraising success, some charity work etc. It all depends how it is accomplished; plus it depends how bad Obama proves to be. The worse he is, the more people will think of SP as the charismatic alternative. She is by far the best at mocking him, so that bodes well.

Posted by: Ed at July 27, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I actually kinda think the Rush/Coulter ticket stands a good chance. Probably a better chance if it was Coulter/Rush, but not by much.

Posted by: WayneSMT at July 27, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Karol, I read that Signor person’s post—was he just trying to satirize an elitist lefty with that post ?—or is that actually his usual demeanor ?
I just find it amusing that lefties will put all their eggs in the basket of a guy (Obama) whose closest mentor (Reverend Wright) screams all sorts of anti-American and anti-Semitic vile in public, and they’ll also vote for a guy (Obama) whose close friend (Bill Ayers) admits to helping plant bombs at federal buildings, and they’ll also vote for a guy (Obama) who voted “Present” about 150 times in lieu of taking an actual accountable “Yes” or “No” position, but then they turned around and spent all of last September and October framing Palin as someone whose “judgment” could not be trusted by the American people.
Pot, meet kettle.
Sarah Palin may have recently injured her future national political career by resigning with a year and a half left in her term, but she did accrue more tangible political victories during her time in her various executive offices than Obama did during his time as a part-time state legislator in Illinois or as a part-time Senator (and full-time speech-maker !) representing Illinois.
And what’s truly shameless is the obsession that the lefties have with trashing Sarah’s teenage daughter for getting pregnant…at the same age that Obama’s mommy got knocked up.

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at July 27, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I don’t know. Things have changed. A lot of grassroots Republicans are looking on Palin as their savior from the wilderness the way a lot of Dems did Obama. Symbolism has become more important than substance, as I noodled about here and here. Tell me what you think.

Posted by: amba at July 27, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Why did the staffer hate Palin? Besides flubbing answers.

Posted by: CraigP at July 27, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Staffer is a liberal Republican who, of course, loves McCain on everything except abortion.

Posted by: Karol at July 27, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I pretty much agree with Karol…don’t remember the last time I uttered those words :)
I think Palin might be good as the RNC chair….maybe she’ll run for senate?
at this point I’d be surprised if she ran in 2012…same goes for Jindal.
at this point you have Fraud Romney, pawlenty, gingrich and ofcourse the one and only former governor of Arkansas…not bill clinton.

Posted by: Larry at July 27, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I think she has a good answer for that: “I couldn’t afford to defend myself against all those spurious ethics complaints”. It may or may not be true, but people who are inclined to like her will give her the benefit of the doubt. Assuming, of course, there isn’t some big scandal about to break.

Posted by: Eric at July 27, 2009 at 5:51 pm

The problem isn’t people who are inclined to like her; it is people who are not or at least are on the fence. Not all of the ethics charges were spurious anyway. She had to pay back the state for the kids’ travel expenses, she will probably have to pay back the state for per diems taken when she was living in Wasilla and she wasn’t exactly cleared in the Wooten / Monaghan investigations. A finding that the governor pressured Monaghan to fire Wooten and was permitted to fire Monaghan for refusing to fire Wooten is not exactly a finding that she wasn’t exerting improper influence to press a family grudge.
As for her future, I think she relishes the idea of being a conservative standard bearer and kingmaker. She is probably never going to get elected to anything ever again – but she probably doesn’t want to be. She will be a highly sought after endorsement and a killer fundraiser.
I can’t stand her but I don’t think she is going anywhere.

Posted by: Charles at July 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Quick-how many defeated VP candidates have become president later on down the road? Edwards and Lieberman didn’t get too far. Kemp, Bentsen and Ferraro didn’t even try. Bob Dole? Shriver? Lodge? Muskie? Frank Knox (one of the forgotten men in American history alas-he was a damn fine Navy secretary)? Earl Warren? Kefauver? Sparkman? Joe Robinson? Charlie Bryan? You get my point. Sure FDR did it 12 years down the road-after being elected twice as governor of NY and dealing with polio. John Tyler did it-but he came to the White House since William Henry Harrison went on too long on a cold inaugural day. John Logan could have done it I suppose had he managed to live in 1888 since he had the same background as Ben Harrison but a more magnetic personality (not that that says much) and was a more important general.
A losing VP bid is not the best way to become president. You’re tarnished as a losing second banana. I don’t think Palin is going to break this trend and her meteoric rise to and fall from prominence will baffle political historians a century from now.

Posted by: Von Bek at July 28, 2009 at 8:54 am

So why doesn’t that axiom apply to Obama? Can anyone seriously argue that he was more “ready” for a national stage than Palin?
The only reason she was ‘destroyed’ is that the MSM decided she didn’t fit their lefty vision of the world and declared war on her. Obama’s never had anything but slow-pitch softballs tossed his way.

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at July 28, 2009 at 9:54 am

While I basically agree with Snoop’s comments, conservatives have got to get over the fact that the media do not treat them fairly. Part of what makes Palin look unpresidential (is that a word?) is her constant complaining about the media.
Perhaps with the right candidate Republicans can get away with avoiding hostile media outlets like The View and David Letterman and appeal to voters through different forums. It would probably help if the party was more Web-savvy.
A final thought: wasn’t the press unfair to Reagan too? Maybe there’s some lessons to be learned from how he handled it.

Posted by: CraigP at July 28, 2009 at 11:20 am

What makes Palin sound unpresidential is that when she strings words together they don’t form sentences. She speaks in a combination of catchphrases and total nonsense. I get that you think everything Obama says is destructive and wrongheaded, but you’ve got to admit that he says it with elan.

Posted by: Charles at July 28, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Liberal win and conservatives lose because conservatives don’t have the intestinal fortitude to state the obvious: The press has an important role in a democracy of properly informing the electorate about the real choices they face in an election, and providing outsight of the politicians we have elected. Instead of accurately informing the electorate about the ideology, position, experience, character, and any other metric a voter might find relevent to casting an informed ballot, the media has forfeited that role in favor of misinforming, under-informing, and non-informing the electorate as a means of manipulating the electorate towards the candidate of their choice.
That process is, quite simply, evil. It is an attempt to substitute the judgment of the media for the judgment of the electorate in an election.
Sarah Palin has shown the intestinal fortitude to call a spade a spade, and denounce evil as evil. It is to her credit that she is pointing out that the press has acted in a totally unprofessional manner.
Does anyone here actually disagree with her position?

Posted by: BigSkyBob at July 28, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Perhaps she might be Secretary of Energy in the next GOP administration.

Posted by: Rob at July 29, 2009 at 12:39 am

[...] regurgitate the opinions of someone as random as John McCain, she does really well.  I’ve written before: “She could probably tell you which Supreme Court decisions she agrees or disagrees with, but [...]

Posted by: I love NYC, but we vote bad at November 17, 2009 at 3:29 pm