July 20, 2009

Was he ever a friend?

The stories on Bloomberg’s relationship with the the Republican party just keep getting more pathetic:

The 2001 and 2005 Bloomberg campaign quashed efforts by Republican officials to field citywide candidates to run with the mayor, leaving the GOP lines for comptroller and public advocate empty. (Under Rudy Giuliani, the GOP ran a full slate.)

But since he left the Republican Party, Bloomberg has lost that kind of leverage. As a concession to GOP leaders, his team was forced to let Zablocki and Mendola run.

Wow, King Bloomberg, thank you so much for letting our candidates run. It’s almost like a democracy or something!

Of course, he’s offering them zero help despite accepting their help to get on the Republican line on the ballot.

Hat-tip Daniel P.

Comments

I blame Sarah Palin !

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at July 20, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I can see Ace’s point about the perfect being the enemy of the good, but really, there’s no point in allowing someone like Bloomberg to be a Republican or have any influence on who runs for what.

Posted by: Eric at July 20, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Believe me, as a NY Republican I never let the perfect become the enemy of the good. It’s why I don’t hate liberal Republicans, they exist for very specific reasons, to win in places like NYC and give us small victories with tax cuts and competency. But I fail to see what Bloomberg gives us anymore except problems.

Posted by: Karol at July 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Uber-RINO Bloomberg now has competition in his quest to unconstitutionally (city constitution) seize power for a third term in NYC!
Finally, some transparency in government! :+:

Posted by: Radical Redneck at July 21, 2009 at 3:04 pm

He is a fan of Ayn Rand, so he already has one advantage over Herr Bloomberg.

Posted by: Gerard at July 22, 2009 at 2:54 am