July 20, 2009

31 American years

I completely forgot that today is my Americaversary, 31 years that I’ve been in this amazing country! And as I realized today was my day, I also realized that my father’s Americaversary was a few weeks ago, and I hadn’t wished him congratulations. This was particularly upsetting because he was so excited about this one. He turned 64 this year and is celebrating 32 years in America. In other words this is the year his time in America surpasses his time in the Soviet Union. “I’m out longer than I was in!”

I’ve written about my father before. He is, really, the biggest American patriot I know. I remember his enthusiasm when he first saw the bumper sticker “America, love it or leave it.” “That’s exactly how I feel! Love it or leave it!” On his 16th year in America, he got himself a Sweet 16 cake. If there is someone more excited to be an American, I haven’t met them.

I usually take this opportunity to post the cutest picture of me of all time, with the judge who swore me into citizenship. This year, though, I’d like to post one of my father, still in the Soviet Union but with the most obvious determination of getting where he needed to be.

IMG.jpg

Previous July 20th posts:

2008

2007

2006

2005

2004

2003

Comments

What a wonderful post– and the links that followed. Your dad sounds like a great American. My father/family hosted a Russian family when they were in the process of leaving the USSR in the late 70’s, and that, in combination with visiting Jena, East Germany in the late 70’s and early 80’s, gave me a a perspective that I hope I never lose– mainly, how blessed we are to live here. My grandfather and his parents came over from Lithuania at the turn of the century, and he busted his hump to make a life for himself here. So wonderful to hear such great success stories like your’s and my grandfather’s. Happy Americaversary!!

Posted by: Aurelie at July 20, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Happy Americaversary. America is lucky to have you.

Posted by: Angela at July 21, 2009 at 9:27 am

I appreciate your love for this country. Were it that more Americans had your perspective.

Posted by: michelle at July 21, 2009 at 9:57 am

Also, its the fifth anniversary of the 2004 Georgia US Senate primary. Hard to believe its been five years…

Posted by: Alex at July 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

Nice post kid.

Posted by: Ronnie at July 21, 2009 at 11:58 am

Here’s to another year for you!
Coincidentally, someone posted an amazing comment over at Cafe Hayek, which I think your father will very much understand.
My grandmother was a time traveler of sorts.
Almost two decades after we arrived here from Moscow, my grandmother finally got permission to travel to America to visit us.
she got lost in my parents’ middle class house and wanted to know how many families lived in it. Every gadget in the kitchen terrified her as her implements were not unfamiliar to a 19th century kitchen (the microwave in particular totally flipped her out). The clothes and hair dryers fascinated her. Riding in cars that weren’t made out of the paper mache Ladas are carefully crafted from was unbelievable to her. The abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables and how inexpensive and NOT rotten they were astounded her daily. Upon her return to Moscow, she fell into a long and deep depression.
Somehow her lifelong contribution to a Great Society and workers’ paradise didn’t cheer her up and make her forget about the daily deficits of items even the very poorest Americans take for granted. Cue dg Lesvic about income redistribution and inequality.
Karol, you and your father would know better than I: would it have been so hard for the grandmother to just stay here, even if it meant giving up what little she had back home? Would our State Department have insisted she go back?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at July 21, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Perry, my grandmother on my mother’s side visited us a few times and would never have dreamed of staying. For one thing she had another daughter back in Russia and grandchildren but for another she was completely terrified. She wouldn’t even say anything bad about the Soviet Union, convinced someone would find out and she’d get in trouble.

Posted by: Karol at July 21, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Ah, that’s true. I hadn’t considered that any family still there are the ultimate blackmail.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at July 21, 2009 at 3:02 pm