June 29, 2009

Kids today

Was the walkman ever a “credible piece of technology”?

Comments

it totally was! i loved my walkman. it was way more credible (actually not even sure what that means in this context) than the ‘cdman’ which skipped when you so much as jumped a puddle.

Posted by: pn at June 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm

The walkman was great. I don’t have an MP3 player, I just use my phone. Still, I looked into a device years ago. None played AM radio, whereas walkman clones do.

Posted by: RonL at June 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I loved my walkman. I went nowhere without my yellow Sony Sport walkman.

Posted by: Karol at June 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm

What you have in that article is a spoiled brat who needs to read a history book or two, preferably with emphasis on technological advancement. Of course the Walkman was “a credible piece of technology.” It was awesome, the iPod of its time. It wasn’t the original, but Sony popularized the concept of a portable tape player, and we referred to non-Sonys as “Walkmans” just like people today use “iPod” to refer to MP3 players in general.
The Walkman was “a credible piece of technology” in the same way that, uh, Hittites’ iron blades compared to Egyptians’ copper. In the way the Model T compared to a horse and buggy. In the way frequency modulation broadcasts compared to amplitude modulation. Or in the way micro SD cards hold as much as standard hard drives 11 years ago, with far greater reliability and speed. Did this kid ever see a Zip drive and disks? How about the Bernouilli predecessor, with those huge 90-meg cartridges that were still in use until the mid 1990s? I could go on.
Good lord, technology may be advancing at breakneck pace, particularly in just the last few decades, but these idiots are so short-sighted. Know where you’re going, but be aware of where you came from. It’s not just this kid, but the writer trying to make a point. For that goddamn moron and any other who thinks tapes sound better than MP3s: learn to rip at a high enough bitrate, for heaven’s sake. Anyone with discerning ears can tell the difference like anyone with decent vision can see the noise in VHS compared to DVD.
I had an early portable CD player that doubled as an external CD-ROM drive via SCSI. It burned through two rechargeable AA batteries in an hour (alkalines in two hours). Was that a short battery life? By today’s standards only. The audio quality of a CD, not to mention jumping from track to track, was worth it. The audio clarity was worth it even with skipping. Anti-skip technology was being worked on but was still sooooo expensive.
I have an old tape player/recorder, which I’d have tossed except that it belonged to my father. After he died, I also kept a number of his records, some of which are 78 rpm. A couple are now over 100 years old, I think made in 1903 or 1904. They’re so thick, and at the time the grooves were made on only one side! Want to talk about poor volume, hiss, crackling?
Who remembers the distortion from “high speed dubbing,” unless you spent the big bucks for electronically-controlled motors? Using expensive metal for your mix tapes, trying to reduce hiss as much as possible?
Oh, and my old man actually owned a Model T, his first. He bought it from his older brother and drove it all around upstate, even into Canada. He always regarded it as a great car, and though it pales to the comfortable rides we have today, it was solidly constructed.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 29, 2009 at 4:00 pm

We’ll see how smug that whippersnapper is in 30 years when his kid is mocking the nano because you have to touch it to play music. AND GET OFF MY LAWN! #fistshake

Posted by: NDS at June 29, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Karol – yellow Sony walkman! I can just picture it…See, at that time my [now ex] husband was working @the headquarters bldg on 5th, and periodically we’d visit the employee’ store with a list to buy. If my son was a bit more methodical in his habits, he could have now had a collection of potentially vintage Sony product.
I still have somewhere a red T-shirt with blue Sony logo on it.

Posted by: Tatyana at June 29, 2009 at 5:54 pm

A Walkman…isn’t that almost as out of date as, like, Marxism ?
The funny thing is that so many people who claim to favor ‘progress’ are the ones trying to revive Marxism !
Oh, irony, how I love thee !
Viva la Walkman !

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at June 29, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Still got one, still use one — I have dozens of cassette tapes.
Could use my Watchman too, before that !@#$’ digital changeover.

Posted by: Kevin Walsh at June 29, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Jeez, it’s bad enough every generation thinks it’s the first to discover sex, but this is really over the top.
Also, the idea people shouted insults at him for wearing a Walkman seems like, um… lying, actually.
Also, what is it with people sucking the meaning out of words and then placing the hollow shell in a sentence? Was the Walkman ever “credible”? Go out and search for “authenticity”, kid.

Posted by: Eric at June 30, 2009 at 1:31 am

Definetely was!!! I had one at the beginning of the 90’s and it ruled. I would sleep with it, eat, walk and even jog with it. Although I have to admit…is easier to run with an Ipod…

Posted by: Amalia Relation at July 1, 2009 at 8:33 am