June 26, 2009

The obligatory Michael Jackson post

I’m closer in opinion on Michael Jackson to E than to Dawn Summers although I do find myself somewhere in-between.

When I was a kid, I wanted to marry him. Turned out he wanted to marry kids so my crush kinda faded (ok, it faded much earlier than his molestation trials, I found it hard to look at his melting face after I turned around 12).

I had put him in my “too weird to live” category a long time ago so his death was not nearly as shocking as it seems to be for others.

He was once a great talent but I thought the “You are not alone” crap was…crap and he hasn’t produced anything decent in years.

What he did to Paul McCartney showed him as a bad person (McCartney explain the benefits of owning song catalogs to MJ, MJ bought the Beatles catalog from under him). Maybe it was the early and constant celebrity but this was not a man anyone ever wanted to emulate in any way. Not in looks, not in character.

Thank you for your few good songs, MJ. RIP.

Comments

Dawn tends to lean towards ‘nutty’ usually but any adoration of MJ just makes me queasy. This was not a good man. Talented, perhaps. But to be adored? Missed? No. Not even close. Lots of lowlives have talent, that doesn’t excuse crack-heady behavior.
As a general rule, if Al Sharpton speaks up for you, you got some problems.

Posted by: elana at June 26, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Wow, Elana, I can see how this “too nice” stuff really will get you into trouble. Pull it back man, people are going to start taking advantage of you and your way too nice persona.

Posted by: nds at June 26, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Your bit last year after your druggie highschool friend died; surely that death was not a shock in the same way as Michael J? Yet you showed some class ther

Posted by: May Dupp at June 26, 2009 at 9:08 pm

woah… that’s harsh. i’m sure many people would agree with your opinion of his talent and career, but the point is that he was a man yesterday and is now dead today. his family and friends are grieving. that alone is deserving of some respect.

Posted by: Yelena at June 26, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Uh, yeah, May, the death of someone I actually knew meant something to me.
Yelena, I didn’t feel it was harsh, he had his plusses and minuses like all people. I just don’t get the outpouring of love and affection for a really marginal character like Jackson.

Posted by: Karol at June 26, 2009 at 10:20 pm

MJ is an American icon, hardly marginal. You can go to the outer corners of the world and ppl who know nothing else of American culture know about Michael Jackson (and Madonna).
I just don’t think it’s proper to point out the pluses and minuses of a person the day after he passed. Would you say to a friend whose relative just died, “your aunt Susie was such a brilliant woman, but also a bit of a nag and a compulsive liar, don’t you think?” It’s just not done.

Posted by: Yelena at June 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm

All of the official obits will point out the same plusses and minuses as I do, but longer. You can’t compare a celebrity you never knew to your friend’s aunt Susie.

Posted by: Karol at June 26, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I haven’t read any obituaries but I’m sure they all say something like “MJ’s career was shrouded in controversy and speculation.” That’s nonjudgmental reflection, different than “too weird to live” and “bad person.”

Posted by: Yelena at June 26, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Well, yeah, they’re not going to be opinion. This is a blog, after all, and it’s my opinion that he was a bad person and a weirdo that is reflected here. But the obits are talking about his molestation trials, his plastic surgery, his hanging a baby off a balcony and, obviously, his drug use. What he did to McCartney proved his character to me, inviting young boys into his bed proved his pathos even if he was never convicted. No, I’m not going to just remember the guy I wanted to marry when I was 6. That would be silly.

Posted by: Karol at June 26, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I’m not arguing any of those things. Just think that when someone dies, even if you were not particularly close to the person, you either say something kind or nothing at all out of respect for those grieving.

Posted by: Yelena at June 26, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I’m sorry, I just don’t agree. That was my commemoration. I ended it hoping he rests in peace.
And now no Levain cookies for you! (I was planning to bring you some on Sunday).

Posted by: Karol at June 26, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Grrreeeat, I pissed off my cookie supplier. I didn’t mean to. I thought you love comments ;) Eh, I probably don’t need a half pound cookie anyway (Except that I do! Real bad!)

Posted by: Yelena at June 26, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Karol – For once we are in complete agreement. Total nutter. Wildly talented, but way to creepy to be deserving such adoration.

Posted by: VinNay at June 27, 2009 at 1:40 am

And I’ll save the RIP for the higher powers judge…

Posted by: VinNay at June 27, 2009 at 1:41 am

I don’t know–I hate people who get sainted just because they’ve shuffled off their mortal coil.
While I’m not quite as harsh as Karol is, I do agree that maybe folks should be a little more clear-eyed on MJ rather than the fawning adoration he’s getting now. Yes, he was a great entertainer and ambassador of American pop culture–but he also had severe issues. Both should get equal time.

Posted by: James at June 28, 2009 at 12:14 pm