June 26, 2009

It’s time for him to go

Mark Sanford compares himself to King David. Hat-tip Robert George.

The worst part is, IC is making fun of me and saying “just remember that you liked this guy for president….” I just liked his fiscal conservatism! Who knew he was total nutbar? Not me.

Comments

I don’t see the “nuttery” – or rather not more than a regular Christian from the South would espouse.
In any case, he’s right: his job description does not include “put your personal life on hold”. As far as I know, separation due to adultery is not a crime, just a reason for divorce – which I hope he will proceed with, if he wants to end this story honorably for all involved (including Maria Belem Chapur). But that’s my private opinion – since the story already made public. In any case, his private life is his business. If it doesn’t affect his job, in any way – who are we to get involved and form opinions of him? he didn’t use his office for sexual favors, he didn’t pay for sex with public funds, he even didn’t, as far as we know, used his taxpayers’ money to get to his dates. He committed no crime – nor his behavior is particularly amoral.
How often you see a man who fights his love to a woman for 7 (!) years and only after so long test of time becomes lovers with her?

Posted by: Tatyana at June 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm

But it did affect his job; he took a week off and went to Argentina while being paid by the people of SC, and didn’t tell anyone where he was. He’s governor, he can’t do that! And he visited her on a state trip. He’s just getting progressively crazier in public, his press conference was really unbelievable and this King David stuff is wacko.

Posted by: Karol at June 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Then why not chastise him for the actions he did that affected his job, instead of moralizing about his personal life? What, if he disappeared to help an african elephant charity, for instance, and not running to his lover for a few days of bliss – that would make a difference?
There is nothing crazy or wacko in his behavior. Let divorce judge to classify his private relationships. The rest of it is pretty thin stuff , not justifiable for all the epithets he acquired.

Posted by: Tatyana at June 26, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Why are people so obsessed with what a government factotum is doing anyway?! See, this to me is the upshot of the Mark Sanford story. Citizens aren’t citizens anymore, they’re supplicants and wards, and can’t survive for a minute without knowing that their existence is ensured by the gigantic teat of some governmental bureaucracy.
This is what got me interested in politics in the first place, BTW. Whenever I would read some blurb published in Jet decrying the Republican-controlled Congress for “shutting down” the federal government I would be perplexed. The Republicans weren’t the ones who forced the federal government to temporarily cease operations, but even if they had been, why should that have been a problem?
The fact that you have a governor who’s insane, or a philanderer, or who absconds from the state for a week shouldn’t even matter, any more than what a jurist’s position on abortion or the Kyoto Protocol should. But unfortunately, it does.

Posted by: Gerard at June 26, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Glad he got caught now, before he had a chance to go all ‘John Edwards’ on us.
If you ask me, we just dodged a serious bullet.

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at June 26, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Sometimes, when you take a leadership position, it’s with the understanding that you personal life does reflect on your professional life. Especially if your name is mentioned in the same breath as a certain job overseeing a couple million people for whom adultery is a crime.
More importantly, this is a man in a leadership position who straight up disappeared for a week. Um, okay, if you’re CEO of a company or just some guy who washes cars for a living, that’s acceptable. When you are duly elected by your fellow citizens to be in a leadership position–um, no, sorry, it’s not. Especially when he apparently used some public funds (and no, paying them back doesn’t makme it okay).
Finally, the whole “I am just like David…” thing is the final straw. A little Christian humility would have gone a long way to maybe making me think he needed to go. Comparing oneself to Biblical figures, on the other hand–yeah, I’m not even a hardcore Bible thumper but that seems pretty blasphemous to me. Sort of like hiding your sin behind the word of God.

Posted by: James at June 27, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Is adultery illegal in that state?
I know that North Carolina still has an alienation of affection statute, but I was under the impression that that was more of a civil issue. There was a guy interviewed on GMA as a litigant in one of those cases a few years ago, IIRC.

Posted by: Gerard at June 28, 2009 at 4:13 am

Apparently his wife booted him out of the house when she discovered the affair. Knowing it would all be public in a few days anyway he decided he wasn’t losing anything by jetting off to see the mistress before the media dam broke. So the “straight up disappear[ing]” part makes sense to me now.

Posted by: Eric at June 28, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Eric,
It makes _less_ sense to me because he didn’t “straight up disappear,” he gave his staffers some bs story to tell about him going hiking. WTF? Dude, if you’ve decided you’re going to plug the mistress one last time before you face the music, then come up with something better than this.

Posted by: James at June 28, 2009 at 6:58 pm

James, can I ask you what would be your story? No, really; I can’t imagine what men think up in these situations…in fact, i can’t imagine what excuse is a “good” excuse in these situations, for anyone.

Posted by: Tatyana at June 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Tatyana,
Just off the top of my head:
1.) Go to Argentina on something related to a business interest in South Carolina.
2.) Just say you’re going on a short vacation to South America “to clear your head.”
3.) Buy your lover a first class ticket to someplace like, say, Italy that’s on the way back from visiting a National Guard unit in Afghanistan / Iraq.
See, 3 things that will not trigger “the governor is missing!”-responses. That’s what got this whole mess started in the first place.

Posted by: James at June 28, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Ah, but where is the spontaneity? passion? romance?
But I have to give it to you – you seem to be an expert on masterful excuses.

Posted by: Tatyana at June 29, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Tatyana,
I have a doctorate in MSU–Making Sh*t Up. :)
To me it’s bad enough to have an affair. Even worse is not even having the respect for your wife’s intelligence and acumen to float some weak a** excuse that makes things front page news. That’s just a mark of no longer giving a damn about your marriage or her mental anguish. I hope that Mrs. Sanford rips off the appropriate body parts in divorce court. _Especially_ given all that she’s apparently done for his career.

Posted by: James at June 30, 2009 at 8:47 am