June 24, 2009

Where in the world was Mark Sanford?

I am a big Mark Sanford fan. When asked who I’d like to see on the Republican presidential ticket, I would say “a Mark Sanford type.” I was rooting for McCain to pick him for VP. In 2005, I blogged that I was sad he had chosen not to run for president in 2008. And then last February, I wondered why not Mark Sanford for ‘12.

I say all this so you all understand, I really, truly like the man.

But I think this disappearing act is a huge deal and I don’t buy the “clearing his head” story. For one thing, he’s already been caught in a lie. He was hiking the Appalachian trail until he was spotted in the airport in Atlanta and now he was in, get this, Argentina for a few days. I’ve been to Argentina, it’s far. You don’t go there for 3 days. Furthermore, he’s a family man who disappeared from his family on Father’s Day weekend. He’s a governor, who dropped his security for a few days alone. It just isn’t ringing true with me. There’s more to this story and I don’t think it’s going to be good.

Apparently, he’s a quirky guy:

As a member of Congress in the 1990s, he slept in his office to save money. Political insiders recount tales of his walking around barefoot in meetings in the state Capitol and even doing sit-ups at odd times. During his State of the State speech in 2006, he lost his train of thought and admitted he was daydreaming about a fishing trip with a pal.

So maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the quirky governor really just wanted to see Buenos Aires and learn how to tango. Maybe there’s nothing more to this story at all. I’d like to be wrong. I don’t think I am.

Update: Who called it? South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford admits to extramarital affair

Posted by Karol at 11:55 AM |
Comments

Life is full of disappointments

Posted by: Tatyana at June 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I flew from London to Minneapolis and back for Thanksgiving, once. Not defending him (and I haven’t heard anyone defend him yet, actually) but it does happen.

Posted by: Tanya at June 24, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I have a lot of twitter/facebook friends posting that people are making too big a deal of this. I just really disagree. This is a huge deal. A governor is not supposed to disappear in this way. A husband/father is not supposed to disappear in this way. I’m convinced there is more to this story.

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 1:39 pm

If we want to talk about bragging rights, I bet no one else reading this has taken a 24-hour trip to Asia, stayed for literally just a day, then flown back. :) And worked full days immediately before and after the trip.
However, everyone knew exactly when and why I was going, down to calling from JFK (”I’m about to board”) and e-mailing colleagues to let them know I’m in Hong Kong awaiting my connection. Sanford’s case is just…weird.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 24, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Karol, unfortuantely you may be right. Check Drudge headline. Jeez.

Posted by: bobm at June 24, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Has anyone considered his trip to Argentina was for medical reasons? Perhaps he was seeking plastic surgery and wanted it done cheaply. I kind of dig his disappearing act. Sure, it’s not appropriate for a president to do that, but he’s just a governor. Spitzer did some disappearing too, but he was doing it to get a little nooky on the side. Not sure if Sanford is that type, but if fishing is his game, perhaps he read the monkey-fishing story and heard it was in Argentina.
I’m sure it’ll come out that he went there for a medical procedure or something.

Posted by: daniel at June 24, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I’m not defending him and I think you are right there is more to this story, however I kind like his brand of weird. I used to pull this kind of thing when I was younger, I loved that no one knew where I was. But I wasn’t a father or Governor….so you know different ball game all together. Still I find him endearing and this is basically the first time I heard of him.

Posted by: Petitedov at June 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Ah, this explains it the dude had a “lady friend” in Argentina. Still I’m all about dropping everything and going.

Posted by: Petitedov at June 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm

And Karol’s rating is back to 93%

Posted by: NDS at June 24, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Oh what a tangled web we weave!

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 24, 2009 at 2:59 pm

When I read the rumors that Sanford was out hiking the Appalachian Trail nude (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/06/23/was_sanford_hiking_naked.html), I thought nah no way is the story that weird.
But dating a lady in Argentina and not telling anyone you’re headed out of the country, off the continent, off the Northern Hemisphere? Old joke you can still hear on occasion in Columbia and Lexington County dating back to the Nullification days. South Carolina: too small to be its own country and too big to be an asylum.

Posted by: Von Bek at June 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm

And Karol’s rating is back to 93%
Please, I’m near 100%. I may not know much, but I know people.

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 3:17 pm

haha.
It was an affair. WOW!
At least we know that men will be men, whether they are leftists or rightists.

Posted by: daniel at June 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm

So, is it weird that his wife wasn’t worried? (I didn’t see the press conference, so it may already have been addressed) Overtrusting or she knew about it?

Posted by: Tanya at June 24, 2009 at 3:24 pm

At least we know that men will be men, whether they are leftists or rightists.
I don’t see why all men have to be lumped in this category. Scummy men are scummy men.
Tanya, I don’t know but apparently she said yesterday she was “focusing on being a mother” so maybe she just found out. I think she was protecting her husband at first.

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 3:27 pm

How old are his kids? And you got a D on my quiz and have known me for 18 years. 93%.

Posted by: NDS at June 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm

You don’t ditch your security and hop on a plane to have a three day tryst without making up some kind of cover story. You just don’t.
The affair is a head fake to cover something bigger. He went to rehab or he snapped or something like that. I doubt he left the country.

Posted by: Eric at June 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Wow, Eric, interesting! That’s definitely possible but I think this is where his quirkiness comes in. He really didn’t think he’d get caught. “What? I took a few days off to be alone, everyone does that on Father’s day weekend.” Also, he had a cover story. He was hiking.

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm

And you got a D on my quiz and have known me for 18 years. 93%.
Your quiz was the dumbest quiz in the history of dumb quizzes. Where were your friends born? COME ON.

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Alternate theory, Eric: what if it’s not a woman in Argentina?

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 3:51 pm

so how many can we eliminate from 2012?…..sanford, ensign and huntsman…anyone else?

Posted by: Larry at June 24, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Was Huntsman really being taken seriously, or is the GOP that desperate that his name was being thrown around?
It’s not the religion. It’s that he and the other Mormon happen to be government-expanding Republicans. RomneyCare has done, you know, just so well for Massachussetts finances.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm

It’s not the religion. It’s that he and the other Mormon are government-expanding Republicans who happen to be Mormon. RomneyCare has done, you know, just so well for Massachussetts finances.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm