June 24, 2009

Mark Sanford still gets the prize for weird

You know what’s kind of interesting and different about the Mark Sanford story? He got caught like, mid-affair. John Edwards got caught after his mistress had a (obviously his though that’s still denied) child. Eliot Spitzer got caught months later when the madam was investigated. Even Bill Clinton got caught only when Monica told someone, long after it happened. It’s rare that the politician gets caught like this, affair still going on, getting off a plane from getting some Argentinian nookie.

I haven’t seen the press conference where he admits to the affair but I hear it’s really something. Allah tells me he’ll be posting it soon and I’ll be linking then.

UPDATE: Allah’s got the 3 minute bizarreness, the whole video is here It’s so much weirder than you can imagine. Most of it is like “what the hell is he talking about?” Is he really not on drugs? Really?

Comments

On a completely unrelated note, I saw these this morning and thought of you. And now I hope I’m remembering correctly, and it’s really you (or your husband?) who likes them?
(If not, er, nevermind…)

Posted by: Tanya at June 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Haha, sorry Tanya, never heard of them but they seem delicious.

Posted by: Karol at June 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm

At least it wasn’t a goat.
Seriously, I despair; the Obama/Pelosi/Reid machine is working on recreating the Great Depression, and for the next month the press is going to go Full Frontal on a guy 95% of the country had never hear of before.

Posted by: Mark Poling at June 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Haha. I would’ve sworn there was something about hibiscus (which doesn’t sound edible to me at all). My summer brain must be kicking in. :o )

Posted by: Tanya at June 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm

“Argentinian nookie.” LOL

Posted by: Angelka at June 24, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Isn’t that a recurring theme in Monsoon Wedding?

Posted by: Gerard at June 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Last nite, I wrote that I don’t know what the big deal is.
Obviously, fidelity is a virtue, but I do get tired of the way that many evangelicals go all scorched earth due to a politician’s infidelity.
And we all know that the lame stream media handle a Republican’s scandal much differently than a Democrat’s. And Republican voters are more willing to use the ballot box to punish a Republican elected official than are Democratic voters willing to punish a Democratic elected official caught with his pants down.
But now that the facts have been revealed, and he it has been revealed he had traveled to Argentina without even transferring power to his Lt. Gov, I have to say, “WTF !”
How sad.
Like yourself, Sanford was one of my favorites for a future VP or Pres.

Posted by: IamTheWalrus at June 25, 2009 at 12:14 am

I like hibiscus…as tea. Eating it, I dunno.
Walrus, the thing about infidelity among Democrats is that it’s practically assumed as standard or customary. Sometimes it’s “forgotten” so as not to mar a god-image. Rarely is FDR’s affair with Eleanor’s own secretary ever mentioned, for example.
Of course, this means Sanford is now more qualified to switch to the Democrats than the already-liberal Arlen Specter.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 25, 2009 at 10:46 am

I found it. I’m not losing my mind. It was hibiscus tequila.
Which… also explains why I remembered it in the first place. :o D

Posted by: Tanya at June 25, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Ohhhhhhhh yes, the yummy hibiscus tequila. That stuff rocks.

Posted by: Karol at June 25, 2009 at 2:30 pm