June 21, 2009

He will be surprised to learn he’s not king

Remember how Obama said if you’re happy with your current healthcare insurance then nothing need change under his proposed plan? Um, yeah, about that. Associated Press reports:

“White House officials suggest the president’s rhetoric shouldn’t be taken literally”

Because why would you take your president at his word. That’s crazy!

I also like this quote:

“If he was a king, he would deliver that, but he’s not king,” said Salisbury. His group [Employee Benefit Research Institute] is a nonpartisan information clearinghouse on health and pension benefits.

Quick, someone remind Obama he isn’t king.

Posted by Karol at 12:47 AM |
Comments

I promised myself not to engage in this debate because it is ‘your thing’, but I would like to mention that, when the welfare state happened to the UK in 1948, people were still able to go private if they wanted to. Doctors could work for the NHS and have a private practice as well. The only snag is that those going private would still have to pay the taxes for something they haven’t used. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Posted by: bryan at June 21, 2009 at 3:17 pm

President Obama has already assured us that Americans can keep their private insurance. Then, as announced in a (typically sympathetic) newspaper report on that same subject, “White House officials suggest the president

Posted by: ThanksForPlaying at June 21, 2009 at 5:17 pm

That’s Dallas Salisbury you need to remind that Obama isn’t a king…

Posted by: katie g. at June 21, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Brave words, but no e-mail.

Posted by: bryan at June 21, 2009 at 6:49 pm

You can send e-mail to Obama via whitehouse.gov, Bryan. I’m sure he’ll be happy to hear that you think it’s brave to talk about how rhetoric shouldn’t be taken literally.

Posted by: Really,ThanksForPlaying at June 21, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Well I’m glad we’re taking Obama to task and reminding him that he is not a king. I just wish that we had reminded W of the same thing instead of listening to the sweet sounds of Seoul man John Woo and his unitary executive claim. Have no fear. I expect when the Republicans are back in the White House, the Dems will be kicking and screaming about the president being a king and the GOP will be bowing to his majesty.

Posted by: Von Bek at June 22, 2009 at 10:20 am

So bryan, do you have anything in rebuttal, or do the words in fact have merit on their own? (And no, that’s not me.)
“people were still able to go private if they wanted to.”
When government is involved, “if they wanted to” also means “if they can afford the private plans that are made more expensive.” Obama’s idea of an “optional” and “competitive” government-run insurance plan that inevitably will require taxpayer dollars to subsidize its losses. After all, Medicare and Medicaid are already run so well, what do we have to worry about?
As for me, I’m just glad to know that when Saint Obamus speaketh things like “reform,” we shouldn’t take him literally. Wow, what a relief! I already knew we couldn’t take him literally when he promised to “root out waste.”

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 22, 2009 at 11:27 am

There is a thriving private sector in the UK, and there always has been. It’s quicker. It’s much more comfortable. I’ve used it (and even worked in it) myself.
And now, for selective readers, the bit you usually don’t read. How the USA goes is of no interest to me. I made my comment in the thread because we do have a private sector and the NHS.

Posted by: bryan at June 24, 2009 at 3:29 am

If you don’t care how the U.S. goes, then why are you bothering to post on this thread?
We already know you have a private healthcare industry. The problem is that we may not even have that as an option, thus we’re very interested in how government healthcare grew in your country and others.
And again, did you have anything to refute what ThanksForPlaying said, or are you going to keep harping that it was made anonymously?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 24, 2009 at 11:44 am