April 28, 2009

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Arlen Specter becomes a Democrat. Na, na, na, na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye.

(hat-tip Joe)

UPDATE: Suckas! He’s your problem now. Writes Allah:

TNR asks a good question: How exactly do the Democrats benefit from having Specter switch? With Toomey sure to beat him in a GOP primary, they could have handpicked any centrist Pennsylvania Democrat they like for the general and stood an odds-on shot of winning the seat. Instead, they let Specter switch for the most cynical, opportunistic reasons, a fact that’ll weigh on some Democrats next year.

Comments

Adios! If Toomey can pull off a win in 2010, it might allow the GOP to solidify a conservative brand. Besides, who would give a dollar to the GOP if they knew it might wind up in Specter’s campaign fund?

Posted by: MAS1916 at April 28, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Well I wish we had all said this back in 2004. Alas. Rove and W. stood with Specter against Toomey. Having said that, and while I think Specter is one of the biggest pompous windbags in the Senate, it sucks that the Dems have 60 Senate seats (yes I think Stewart Smiley has defeated Coleman alas). I don’t think we’ll be hearing too much about permanent Republican majorities any time soon.

Posted by: Von Bek at April 28, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Yes, in the words of Casey Stengel, “Addition by subtraction.” It just sucks that Dubyah went to bat for this turd. Remind me to put him on my gravesite pissing tour list.

Posted by: Casca at April 28, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Casca – from Drew at Ace’s “Thank God Bush, Santorum and the GOP spent so much money getting him reelected in 2004. Heck of a job guys.”

Posted by: Petitedov at April 28, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Good job far right.
Keep up the great work.
LOL !

Posted by: ksec at April 28, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Considering that this makes Jeff Sessions the ranking minority member on the judiciary committee, I’d score this as a net win.

Posted by: Casca at April 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I didn’t know it was far right to adhere to *any* conservative principles.

Posted by: Petitedov at April 28, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Yep, it was less than ten years ago people were talking about permanent Republican majorities. And judging by Obama’s first 100 days it’ll be more like six years before the Republicans regain control of the entire circus.
Of course, Specter is 79, so if I were he (and had his complete lack of principles beyond “whatever is good for me”), I wouldn’t be buying green bananas either.

Posted by: Eric at April 29, 2009 at 10:23 am