April 24, 2009

Well, if he followed up with a call to two relatives then that’s that

It’s more than a little embarrassing that behavior like this from the Muslim world is completely accepted:

A Saudi man has divorced his wife by text message, a newspaper said earlier this month.
The man was in Iraq when he sent the message informing her she was no longer his spouse. He followed up with a telephone call to two of his relatives, the daily Arab News reported.

Comments

Personally, I’m in favor of that system. He probably should have left her a voice mail, though.

Posted by: Eric at April 24, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Why? He followed up with a call to *two* relatives.

Posted by: Karol at April 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Oh, yeah, good point.

Posted by: Eric at April 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm

You don’t think this would happen in the West if it was permitted?

Posted by: bryan at April 26, 2009 at 9:54 am

bryan, that’s circular logic. Think about it for a minute. Western custom doesn’t allow such simple dissolving of a marriage contract, because it’s a general reflection of people’s values.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at April 26, 2009 at 11:55 am

To add, even in pre-suffragist days, a man still had to go through the trouble of obtaining a writ or some similar document. Even Henry VIII had to appeal to the church and his advisors before getting an annulment or divorce, or sending his wife to the executioner.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at April 26, 2009 at 11:57 am

Perry, that’s not such a great example. Henry only wne to the Pope because he wanted to remain a Roman Catholic. He set up a new church with him at the head to get his own way and that divorce.
I wasn’t really vaunting the Saudi system, more thinking that, the way that marriage is regarded these days, I’m surprised they don’t put a renewal clause on the licence! I honestly think there are people who would use a Saudi approach if that wes available. I also think that this Saudi example has been newsworthy because it’s shockingly callous for them as well.

Posted by: bryan at April 27, 2009 at 2:01 am

oh if the Saudi approach could go work the other way around – definitely. I know a person to whom a $3.0 for a text message and two calls would save over $50,000 in litigation.

Posted by: Tatyana at April 27, 2009 at 9:28 am

[I should have said - I know a woman]

Posted by: Tatyana at April 27, 2009 at 9:29 am

Actually, Henry VIII is a great example of what I was pointing out: he couldn’t just send a text message, telegram or piece of parchment saying “I divorce you,” and he was the king!
So for all your blathering, my point stands: your “logic” is merely circular.

I understand you’re not a proponent of it. However, considering the last few decades of moral liberalization in the West, don’t you realize this would have happened already if that’s what the majority of people really wanted?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at April 28, 2009 at 8:52 am

Perry, what’s a “Reno divorce”?

Posted by: bryan at May 1, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Something that still requires the time and expense of traveling to a mid-sized American city, filing papers with a court, and a couple of weeks of waiting. And this is when both parties contest nothing.
So your attempt to compare U.S./Western custom and legalities to a Muslim texting “I divorce thee” is laughable…at best.
On a personal note, my father tried sticking it to his first wife by going to the Dominican Republic. He thought by filing it there, he could get summary judgment in his favor when she didnt’ show up. It was later thrown out as invalid, and in fact cited later on in another proceedings, because his then-wife was not given reasonable notice or opportunity to appear.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at May 3, 2009 at 7:40 pm

So when I asked if people in the West could act like this, would they?, I think your own experience answers the question as yes.
I’m no apologist for Saudi Arabia. Their systems are medeval. I also know people who regard ‘obligations’ such as fidelity, child welfare and responsibility to be beyond them. That’s all I was saying.

Posted by: bryan at May 8, 2009 at 10:39 am