April 24, 2009

Quote of yesterday

“One thing about torture that keeps me up at night is reprisals. What if AQ captures a U.S. soldier and puts him in a box with a caterpillar?”

-Allahpundit on his twitter.

Comments

Before or after they behead him?

Posted by: Casca at April 24, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Correction:

Pretends to put him in a box with a caterpillar.

Posted by: Gerard at April 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm

My brother is getting deployed again in August, just went over his will and the planning for his 2 girls if something happened to him. Knowing him / growing up in the same room, surrendering would not be an option entered into willingly. To be around to rais his girls…maybe considered more of an option. Unfortunately fighting the enemy we have now the tactic is to save a bullet or take some with you with you. Surrendering really is not an option. And the guys and gals going over there know it.
I spoke about this in depth with a good friend of ours this weekend (re. the torture) and I’ve come to the conclusion that we are way too soft. Let’s announce to the terrorists that we won’t actually drown you but…fake it…Yeah, good move Washington we’ll get better info now. I also don’t see anything wrong with capturing an enemy combatant who is violating the geneva convention, by not fighting as a clearly defined combatants, and beating information out of them about the location of buddies and bombs. Maybe I’m sick in the head but come on. Why do we need to always follow the rules and announce all of our actions. How many soldiers lives are now further at risk because we handicap their ability to gather intelligence.
Kinda not related but kinda is. Excellent, scintillating read is the Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing by Lutrell with Robinson contributing.

Posted by: Dan deee man at April 27, 2009 at 10:01 am

If they really wanted to torture captured troops, they’d run a continuous video of Janeane Garofalo.

Posted by: MAS1916 at April 27, 2009 at 10:11 am

Lone Survivor is a remarkable story.
I read the book last year and couldn’t put it down. I can’t wait until they adapt that into a feature-length film, although knowing Hollywood they’ll probably find a way to screw it up.
I hope someone like Lionel Chetwynd is working on the script.

Posted by: Gerard at April 27, 2009 at 10:59 am

Can a Christian support torture? I don’t think we can. If we accept the idea that man is made in God’s image and that the Word made Flesh was tortured-and certainly all the Gospels save Matthew describe the flagellation as part of the Passion-and if we accept that Christ is in all men (I’m thinking Matthew 25 here) then we should be very careful on how we proceed with torture. Even in the Old Testament (I’m thinking of the tale of the seven brothers in 2nd Maccabees though I am sure there are other scenes-the blinding of Samson in Judges), it is something that God’s people endure but do not practice. It is certainly not something to be made light of and is, at best, a necessary evil.

Posted by: Von Bek at April 27, 2009 at 11:45 am

I prefer the WT Sherman formulation. “Kill them all. The Lord knows his own.”

Posted by: Anonymous at April 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

These aren’t Christians, Von Doofus. That’s why you see a star and crescent in all of those nifty videos where they’re beheading infidels.

Posted by: Gerard at April 28, 2009 at 7:11 am

So as Christians we should torture non-Christians? Or as non-Christians, we should treat them as less than we would ourselves? That is a slippery slope you are on Gerard. I’m sorry you stand with Pilate on this one and not Christ.

Posted by: Von Bek at April 28, 2009 at 8:23 am

Since when does our government function soley under Christian mores? Seperation of church and state yada yada…. And on top of that my bible does not forbid torturing terrorists. I looked again today and in fact terrorist or Improvised explosive device isn’t mentioned once.
Christians do howevar have a little precedent for acceptable torture. Of course fake drowning and arachnaphobia weren’t as acceptable as using the rack, burning or the old acid douse.

Posted by: Dan dee man at April 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm

This isn’t a theocracy, asshat-at least, it won’t be until Barry cedes it to the Caliphate.
It’s a representative republic, a concept you fail to understand.

Posted by: Gerard at April 28, 2009 at 4:18 pm

So therefore we must leave all religious motives out of public life? So all pro-lifers, opponents of same sex marriage, open border supporters who draw on religious motives, abolitionists, rapture minded supporters of Israel, stewart of the earth enviromentalists should stay home?

Posted by: Von Bek at April 29, 2009 at 6:30 am