February 23, 2009

Yes, how dare you believe in limited government, personal responsibility *and* be an art student?

Don’t you know you have to conform?

From this week’s Post Secret:

Art Republican.jpg

Comments

I saw that yesterday and had to roll my eyes. But I kind of think the person is referring to being a closeted Republican, than the conflict between being artistic and (gasp) a Republican. It lame either way.

Posted by: Petitedov at February 23, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Kind of reminds me of my ex-boss; at the business meetings when introducing me, he used to suddenly drop his voice to whisper: “She voted [gasp] Republican!…” Astonished silence scene followed.
I didn’t feel like a fake, though – more like paraded family skeleton.

Posted by: Tatyana at February 23, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I don’t understand how one’s hobbies or profession can be so influenced by one’s political ideology. It just seems irrelevant to me.

Posted by: Karol at February 23, 2009 at 2:12 pm

It’s simple Karol. Most guys are conservative because we have testosterone. This causes us to like guns, motorcycles, and the like. Conversely, liberals are girlie, so they squat to pee, and are afraid of spiders. The exceptions merely prove the rule.

Posted by: Casca at February 23, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Is there a link related to that item? My first impression was (and remains) that the artist was actually goofing on how he or she is routinely treated as a genuine conservative. Seems kind of humorless to assume the worst.

Posted by: VeryGoodHumorMan at February 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Well, I did find the link, and now I’m thinking even more it’s an art student making fun of having to be in the closet as a Republican.

Posted by: VeryGoodHumorMan at February 23, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Karol: politics are mixed in architecture in a very high degree. Especially commercial (not residential) architecture. And even more – if the client is government, and the architect’s fee depends on city’s public construction policy.

Posted by: Tatyana at February 23, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Imagine being a conservative in Hollywood, or a non-Christian working for a Christian charity. Those are two examples I can think of off the top of my head.
Humans are pack animals. They want unity within their “group” which extends to the workforce.

Posted by: Pokerwolf at February 24, 2009 at 8:41 am

Artists are typically hippies. That’s the way it works.

Posted by: nds at February 24, 2009 at 9:15 am

He’s no Magritte. Hell, he’s no Tracey Emin!

Posted by: bryan at February 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm