January 30, 2009

Feeling pessimistic

Michael Steel elected RNC chair.

I wish I was as confident in what this meant as many of the people I follow on twitter seem to be. I like Michael Steele. Capable, smart, and generally just a great new voice for conservatism. But does it really matters who runs the RNC when elected Republicans refuse to live up to the principles in the party platform? What’s he going to do to enforce conservative practices in our elected officials? What can he do?

I’m also less-than-thrilled that self-congratulations for picking a black guy has spread from Democrats to Republicans. Ken Blackwell, who also was in the running for Chair said this:

“I cannot change the composition of this electorate [pause for laughs] nore would I want to,” Blackwell said.

But he added, Republicans must “unleash a new birth of freedom” He said, Republicans need a candidate who “must inspire hope,” “have leadership ability and a “vision to pull us together and … Americans together” …

“That is why I put my fullest support behind Michael Steele.”

Again, Michael Steele is awesome, why are we limiting his election to just “wow, we picked a black guy.”

Both Allahpundit and John Hawkins are predicting smears of “oreo”, racist photoshops and so on from the left. Wouldn’t it be awesome if Obama’s Democrats proved them wrong?

Comments

Let the smears come. Nothing backfires more than a racial smear hurled by the party of Kleagle Bobby Byrd.
chsw

Posted by: chsw at January 30, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Racist

Posted by: Ken at January 30, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Didn’t Steel once claim that Oreos were hurled his way during a speech he once gave, or some such? And then the tape of the speech didn’t back him up?

Posted by: bryan at January 30, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Michael Steele Oreo Incident Eyewitness Report

Posted by: Gerard at January 30, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Who gives a crap what his race might be. The guy is smart, telegenic and able to clearly communicate the conservative message. Is he as conservative as I’d like? No. Doesn’t matter. Only person who could completely match my views would be me and I’d be an awful choice because I’d say exactly what I think.

Posted by: Largebill at January 30, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Look the only way the GOP can win in the near future is by trying to maximize the white vote as much as possible. Jorge W., el Jebo and Turdblossom opened up the borders and tried to appeal to Hispanics. And the Hispanics back the Democrats. You can have Steele and Herman Cain and Alan Keyes and Ken Blackwell and J.C.Watts and Lynn Swan and Condi Rice and whoever else the GOP runs and guess what? The GOP is still lucky if it gets 10% of the black vote. And the GOP can adopt a foreign policy that would make Bibi Nutandyahoo and Jonathon Pollard cheer and guess what? The GOP will never come close to winning the Jewish vote. The GOP needs to maximize the vote of white Christians as much as possible-but from what I have gathered the RNC has been inflicted with political correctness. I can’t say I am too suprised. The big businesses that the GOP fights for are bastions of political corectness. Even the more “conservative” media outlets are PC-take a look at the New York Post which does not seem to like the idea of having a day to honor the father of our country (and so ole George is lumped in with Jimmy Carter and Franklin Pierce on “President’s Day”) but who does the Post think should get a day of his own? Yep that plagarizing philandering Ho Chi Minh loving preacher Dr. King. The GOP is cutting its own threat on political correctness which would not be much of a concern if the Dems were not so awful. Poltical correctness is everywhere-in the culture, in the offices, in a lot of the churches, in the schools and with both major political parties.

Posted by: Von Bek at January 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm

The difference between Ken Blackwell and Michael Steele is that Ken has been elected statewide a couple of times, and would be Governor of Ohio today if it wasn’t for the idiocy of another Taft. Gawd, what a fucking moron.
In any case, Steele will be great as the face of the party, and that’s the job for now.

Posted by: Casca at January 30, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Yes Gerard, I had read that statement before, but it talks of one cookie. I have read accounts of the air being thick with them, and others saying the moderator of the debate didn’t see anything. There may have been some knuckle draggers in the crowd goading Steele, but not as many as some might suggest.

Posted by: bryan at January 31, 2009 at 9:33 am

I had read that statement before.
Apparently not.

I did see an Oreo cookie fly through the air in the direction of Mr. Steele during the event, but I did not see it hit him. The cookies were just part of a wide-ranging intimidation campaign employed against him and Republican gubernatorial candidate Robert Ehrlich that night which included booing, insults directed at the candidates’ families and vandalism of their supporters’ cars. While the thrown Oreo cookies may not have been “thick in the air like locusts” as Paul Schurick, spokesman for Governor Robert Ehrlich, has said, I feel compelled to ask those who are trying to downplay the events just how many Oreo cookies would constitute being offensive?

Posted by: Gerard at January 31, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Bryan gets pwned again, and he’s too stupid to know it. Gerard’s also too polite to point out that there was a newspaper account of the Oreo incident that had nothing to do with Steele’s discussion of the matter. Of course, none of that matters to Bryan. He’s just baffled at what’s so offensive…when it’s a Republican as the target, of course.

Posted by: GladI'mNotBryan at January 31, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I have a vague recollection of the Oreo incident but that’s about all I can say about it.
This morning I watched the RNC candidate debate from earlier this month and was less than impressed with Steele and for that matter the entire field. How many times do we have to hear that the GOP has to get back to being the party of Ronald Reagan? While I like Reagan as much as the next conservative, it is never a good political strategy to keep looking back. Just ask Mondale and the Duke and all the Dems back in the 80s who promised us a new New Deal.
As for Steele….a minor party figure from a state where the Republicans have minor prospects. He comes to power in 2002 when Republicans all across the nation were winning big and he loses in 2006 when Republicans all across the nation were losing big. The only thing I really remember about Steele’s bid for the US Senate in 2006 was something or another about his campaign bussing in people from other states to pass out fliers saying that a lot of black Democrats had backed him (I assume a tactic to pick up votes after the bitter Cardin-Mfumbe primary) and the fact that Steele lost in a blow out-like a 10% margin-despite spending Cardin dollar for dollar.
Not the most promising resume for the RNC chairmanship.
Maybe Tom Kean the Younger from New Jersey should have made a bid for the RNC chair. Just like Steele, he lost by 10 points in a Senate race in 2006 and he was more of a fiscal conservative than Steele-Kean was outspent big time.
A stupid idea? Of course and Kean is a liberal (though Steele is not as conservative as people seem to think he is-his posistion on sodomite marriage seems a bit unformed-he opposes them, no he opposes the FMA….he was for it before he was against it or something….).
The bottom line is the GOP needs to get its act together and needs to rethink things. Perhaps Steele can pull it off-I mean as much as I loathe the guy, I have to say Howard Dean’s tenure at DNC was a heck of a lot more succesful than I would have thought. Still having watched the debate, I don’t think Steele is up for the job. Like all the other candidates, he seemed more concerned with praising the Gipper than actually coming up with a gameplan. Like Karol, I am less than optimistic on this one.

Posted by: Von Bek at January 31, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Gerard, that statement seems to just peter out. I see a colon to indicate the start of it, but cannot be sure at what point it ends. Is it the bit where he’s quoting the “thick as locusts” guy, or does it read right to the end?
Jrt, I’ve read all sorts of rep and dem crap spouted, but I find the turdiest of all are the people who feign outrage when it’s their guy. The people who have thrown things at Steele, the people who call your president ‘Obongo’, they can all go and jump off a bridge.
Why would a newspaper getting Steele all misquoted (I’m assuming) have anything to do with me. In that you are right, it doiesn’t matter to me. Having read more about Steele, he seems to be a guy adept at spin (a polite word for bending facts to suit himself). Like his yard signs that either didn’t mention the reps.
He also lost an election by a margin that people (on both sides) said was just too big not to be embarrassing. I’m not sure how much good this guy is going to do your party, much like Karol. It’s not good for there not to be a healthy opposition whoever is in power.

Posted by: bryan at January 31, 2009 at 6:49 pm

“Like his yard signs that either didn’t mention the reps.” Sadly, that was the most coherent sentence in Bryan’s last posting. Where does Karol find these people?

Posted by: I Is Bryan! at January 31, 2009 at 11:28 pm

They come up out of the intertubes at night to feed.

Posted by: Casca at February 1, 2009 at 1:56 am

“Where does Karol find these people?”
Thankyou Flamey Trollsalot, so when are you going to settle on a name and have an opinion? Ask your teacher after potty break on Monday.

Posted by: bryan at February 1, 2009 at 5:57 am

So, to recap, lefty Bryan shows up on a conservative blog to spout typically uninformed Leftist crap, gets proven wrong, is rightfully ridiculed, and then whines about immature trolls flaming him. Karol must’ve found him wrapped in a (smallpox-infested!) blanket and left outside her door.

Posted by: YeOldeFlamer at February 1, 2009 at 9:45 am

Wow, you’re like a stuck record. What is your opinion? Do you worry that, if someone heard it, they might disagree? Does the idea of discussing what you think with someone who doesn’t agree/understand/think the same way frighten you? Are you just insulting because you need a friend?

Posted by: bryan at February 2, 2009 at 8:52 pm

bryan, people’s problem with you, at least here, is that you’re increasingly incoherent. I’m still trying to figure out everything you’ve said.
I’m not a Republican, let alone a supporter of Steele, but it seems quite evident that there was more than one cookie on more than one occasion during his campaign. What’s your problem with the quote? It’s perfectly good English in a coherent structure.
You’re on the other side of the pond, so I don’t expect you to understand how the media here employs a complete double-standard with Republicans and Democrats. I don’t expect you to realize that those who call the new president “Obongo” are few and far between, but it’s virtually a requirement of American leftists to call Steele “Oreo” and Michelle Malkin “banana” (one of the more polite things she’s been called).

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Perry, I will try to ask you a coherent question: do you think Steele will improve the fortunes of the rep party?

Posted by: bryan at February 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm