November 24, 2008

Week-o-food

For the first time in my life, I’m participating in Thanksgiving food making. In fact, I signed up to prepare all the side dishes while my mom hooks up the turkey. I’m thinking mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade cranberry sauce and some type of pie.

I can use another suggestion or two, especially if you have a favorite recipe to share.

Posted by Karol at 11:35 AM |
Comments

Instead of cranberry sauce, try this. Sorry, no picture. My photo-sharing site passed away, it seems.

Posted by: Tatyana at November 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Who’s doing the dressing? I am a devotee of James Beard’s classic Cornbread & Sausage, if you’re into the pork thing. If not, then try the Andouille alternative: http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/jbh/corn_dress.html

Posted by: Casca at November 24, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Also, a propos of Scotts, food in general and greasy food in particular: I propose a new addition to your sidebar:

Posted by: Tatyana at November 24, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Frequent reader, first time commenter here, I think. Enjoy the site muchos.
This is the recipe I use for sweet potatoes. It has been a huge hit and everyone always asks for the recipe.
I also generally do a risotto of some kind (asparagus being my favorite) and a fruit salad – simple one is to take favorite fruits and toss with key lime or lemon yogurt. We also skip the traditional cranberry sauce and I do a fresh cranberry-apple salad with nuts, marshmallows and whipped cream.
But my family is odd – we do lots of fruit type salads and don’t consider them desserts. My coworkers thought I was very odd the first year I made Thanksgiving dinner for them and had like 4 non-vegetable salads in addition to desserts.

Posted by: Nicole at November 24, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Personally, I consider a Thanksgiving without lasagna to be a Thanksgiving not worth remembering.

Posted by: Marco at November 24, 2008 at 1:49 pm

STUFFING, LOTS O’ STUFFING.

Posted by: IC at November 24, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Wow, Karol, impressive!! I’ve been assigned cranberry sauce… see, we’re both working hard ;) Btw, I miss you feeding me recipes :)

Posted by: Yelena at November 24, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Take a basic potato kugel recipe and toss in some jalapenos or some curry (but not both).
Sweet potatoes are good just baked. IMO, they get cloying when creamed, sugared and marshmallowed.
Try to make a semi-homemade pecan pie. Buy the pie shell. Try to make the pie filling with honey and/or molasses rather than corn syrup or canned filling. Top with chopped or whole pecans. Toss on some chocolate chips if you (or the IC) are a chocoholic.
Good luck.
chsw

Posted by: chsw at November 24, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Yelena, I actually have an interesting cranberry recipe, let me find it and I’ll send it to you.

Posted by: Karol at November 24, 2008 at 9:56 pm

One must always beware of gilding the lily. The formula for doing a holiday dinner right is a variation on the rules for finding a good restaurant; The chef should drink. The cheese should stink… . So, quaf away, and keep it simple.

Posted by: Casca at November 25, 2008 at 10:30 am

We’re awfully fond of Cranberry Compote instead of the traditional burgundy colored goo:
Fresh Cranberry Compote
6 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
In a non reactive, non-stick saucepan, over medium, combine the cranberries, zest, 1/2 cup sugar, water, salt, and cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in the orange juice. Add the mixture to the cranberries and stir to blend. Simmer another 15 minutes until the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Have a fine holiday!

Posted by: Liberty Girl at November 25, 2008 at 10:48 am

What did I just say, and here you go gilding the fucking cranberry. I HATE when the cranberries are gilded.

Posted by: Casca at November 25, 2008 at 2:25 pm