October 31, 2008

She’s still my homegirl

I’ve got a piece on Sarah Palin up now at Jewcy.

UPDATE: Via Tom Elliott, a video of my retarded neighborhood reacting to a guy holding a McCain t-shirt.

Posted by Karol at 09:35 AM |
Comments

Sarah Palin: The Most Unqualified Candidate Of The 2008 Election

It just keeps pouring in [via NYTimes]:
A growing number of voters have concluded that Senator John McCain’s running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, is not qualified to be vice president, weighing down the Republican ticket in the last days of the …

Posted by: Prose Before Hos at October 31, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Didn’t you hear them? You gotta move the the U East Side!

Posted by: Tatyana at October 31, 2008 at 12:32 pm

My god, I’m so embarrassed for those losers. They’re supposedly so open-minded and liberal but honestly they were no better than KKKers who’d sneer at a Jew or a Black man.
I work here, but I can’t imagine how you live here, these UWS people are by far the absolute worst.

Posted by: Ari at October 31, 2008 at 12:43 pm

One of these lunatics attacked my friend after he noticed that she was wearing a Manhattan-McCain t-shirt.

Posted by: Gerard at October 31, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Didn’t you hear them? You gotta move the the U East Side!
But I just came from the upper east side! They’re not exactly fond of Republicans either.

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Dude, I want to see the unedited footage of this segment. You know, the hours and hours of hundreds of people not paying him a damn mind. in a city where a naked guy with a guitar walks around unmolested, I daresay this reporter waited a long time for even these few reponses AND for a couple of those he had to actively walk up to people and say something like “You voting for McCain”? I don’t come at this one as a liberal, but as a New Yorker — we just don’t give a flip what you do or who who do it for, that’s just how we roll out here in “not real america.” Actually, I wondered where your defense of your city was when it wasn’t new yorkers trash talking mccain/palin, but your homegirl insinuating that because you live in a highrise instead of a farm, you were somehow a “fake american.”

Posted by: nds at October 31, 2008 at 12:58 pm

nds – so now you want fairness in reporting? In the fairest way possible; suck it.

Posted by: Ari at October 31, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Dude, you have NO idea, NO IDEA, the reaction I get to being a Republican in NYC. You really can not imagine. Your people are completely insane and, what’s worse, is that just like the people in this video: they don’t know ANY Republicans (so you can imagine that all that pent up aggression gets released when they finally come across one).

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2008 at 1:07 pm

“…reside in sin with my boyfriend…”
Boyfriend? Did something happpen?

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at October 31, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Boyfriend? Did something happpen?
No, just hate the word fiance.

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Actually, don’t like “boyfriend” all that much either, I usually use “my man” but that just sounded a little aggressive for the article.

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2008 at 1:11 pm

“They don’t even know any Republicans”
Maaan, I remember when I didn’t know any Republicans either…just ambiguous “independents.” Sigh. I miss those days.

Posted by: nds at October 31, 2008 at 1:19 pm

It’s even worse than I thought: it’s not just that Brooklyn, for manhattanites, might as well be in Kansas (at least one thing SITC got right) – its UWS residents consider UES their interior Brooklynites! I imagine how that woman might have been surprised if she heard you. Why, it’s the whole big park in-between! Surely, on the other side live people of totally different species…they might even be Republicans!
I’m totally with you, K, on the terms “fiance” and “boyfriend”. Odd – and infantile, subsequently.
Personally, I prefer “lover”. Or “beloved”, in a semi-pet speak…

Posted by: Tatyana at October 31, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Tatayana’s comment just more and more incoherent as the thread goes on.

Posted by: nds at October 31, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Winters, my name is spelled – and pronounced: T-A-T-Y-A-N-A.
not tatayana, not ramayana, not tatanya, nor combination of the above.
the only one incoherent here is you.

Posted by: Tatyana at October 31, 2008 at 1:49 pm

nds, tell you what: I’ll broker an exchange between Karol and the L.A. Times. Her unedited video for the one of Obama at a dinner for Rashid Khalid. That sounds like a fair exchange to me. And it’s a safe bet on which one is truly damning.
No Damn Shame. Or is your name an acronym for No Damn Sense?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at October 31, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Nope, acronym stands for Not Dawn Summers. Even though I am Dawn Summers. But not really. Oh dear, looks like ramayana was right! I am incoherent. Except I’m certainly not the only one, so that makes tatayana wrong.

Posted by: nds at October 31, 2008 at 3:10 pm

See, Perry, she can’t decide is she or isn’t she. I think it’s the Democratic trait: virulent in the members of the species. Kerry (was for before he was against), Barry O (same indecisiveness with names, his religious affiliation, his race [he was white before he gone black], policy towards Pakistan, his relationship with his pastor of 20yrs or what’s the lowest income to constitute the “rich”, etc).
I just hope it’s not contagious: I worry about Karol.

Posted by: Tatyana at October 31, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Our “badass foreign policy”
Bomb the hell out of countries and people until they submit to our desires? Preemptively strike nations that had nothing to do with attacks on our nation? Stretch our Armed Forces so thin they’re unable to adequately fight all the wars they’re being asked to? Refuse to talk to people we deem not worthy of diplomacy?
How “bad-ass” of us…

Posted by: katie g. at October 31, 2008 at 5:10 pm

No, much, much more than that. More Reagan, less W.

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Katie, our armed forces aren’t stretched. That’s just propaganda.

Posted by: Eric at October 31, 2008 at 7:39 pm

I’ve seen this video from both sides. Some dumbass attacking someone because they are voting the other way. You could fill a day on these. Shorter version, there are idiots in every political set-up everywhere. (Although my favourite is a woman tearing down an Obama poster whilst being filmed (badly) and berated (dumbly) by the whiny man who made it).

Posted by: bryan at November 1, 2008 at 8:38 am

Bomb the hell out of countries and people until they submit to our desires?
You can ditch the anti-American claptrap and join reality. Since when has the U.S. done this, except when fighting against Bad Guys ™?
You’re talking about the likes of the USSR, North Vietnamese and Burmese warlords, whereas the U.S. liberates people.
Preemptively strike nations that had nothing to do with attacks on our nation?
Saddam Hussein ordered his military to kidnap several hundred Americans in 1990. Saddam’s military continued to fire on American patrol aircraft, in violation of the cease-fire agreements. How did Saddam NOT attack Americans?
Oh, I know you’re talking about attacking Iraq because Bush claimed it was involved with 9/11. Your problem is, it’s not true. Iraq was never accused of being involved with 9/11, but we did know Saddam was friendly with terrorists. That, and a lot of Democrats warning us about Saddam’s WMD, gave us reason to attack Iraq before it could attack us.
The difference between the U.S. and Saddam’s Iraq: we don’t attack neighboring countries to take them over. We attack only if we’ve been attacked, or if we think it’s likely we will be.
As Eric kindly pointed out, this is bullshit.
Refuse to talk to people we deem not worthy of diplomacy?
Take a look at what you just wrote: you’re saying we SHOULD talk to nations who we don’t deem worthy of diplomacy?
Your lack of logic notwithstanding, why should we talk to Iran and North Korea, who have repeatedly lied and broken their promises? Why should we trust them AT ALL? Oh, because diplomacy should be exhausted? Yes, that certainly got Neville Chamberlain far at Munich, now didn’t it.
How “bad-ass” of us…
One must be a badass in this world, which is governed by force. When the bad guys do something to you, you have only force as a counteraction.
When something goes wrong, what do you expect the U.S. to do, appeal to the UN?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at November 3, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Perry, are you sure Dick Cheney didn’t link Saddam to 9/11. I’m certain that he did.

Posted by: bryan at November 4, 2008 at 8:37 pm

In fact, I’m sure there’s a Youtube called “Cheney: I never linked Iraq with 9/11. Oh really?”.

Posted by: bryan at November 4, 2008 at 8:43 pm