October 28, 2008

You’re rich and you didn’t even know it

Remember when Obama was only going to raise taxes on those who made over $250,000 a year? Except for that time that he slipped and said $200,000? And that other time that Biden used the figure $150,000? Taxing just the rich is complicated stuff when the definition of rich keeps changing.

John McCain is hitting Obama on this but just like with everything McCain does at this point, it might be too little too late:

Senator Obama has made a lot of promises. First he said people making less than 250,000 dollars would benefit from his plan, then this weekend he announced in an ad that if you’re a family making less than 200,000 dollars you’ll benefit — but yesterday, right here in Pennsylvania, Senator Biden said tax relief should only go to “middle class people — people making under 150,000 dollars a year.” It’s interesting how their definition of rich has a way of creeping down. At this rate, it won’t be long before Senator Obama is right back to his vote that Americans making just 42,000 dollars a year should get a tax increase. We can’t let that happen.

Comments

ZOMG! THE CAT IS OUT OF TEH BAG! He couldn’t hold it in for just one… more… week!!!1!!
The inconsistency is fake. IIRC, under $150K gets a cut, over $250K gets an increase. So between $150K and $250K get no “relief” but they don’t get an increase either.

Posted by: Charles at October 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Karol, I find your lack of faith… disturbing.

Posted by: someone at October 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm

While the taxes really are worrisome foolishness, it’s not even the worst of it. Arthur Laffer has a great piece floating around about the end of prosperity. Our choices are bad or worse, and the generations who can’t remember when Jimmy Carter was President are choosing worse, much worse. Kipling long ago noted, “The fool’s bandaged finger wobbles slowly back to the fire.”

Posted by: Casca at October 28, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Any Folks here in or near Pennsylvania – you are what really matters! It really looks like whoever wins PA will win the election. The 20 something Electoral votes will make all the difference.
If you are there, or near, get your ass out and volunteer. No excuses.
I’ve decided to do something that will prove controversial in my family and might not even work. My uncle is a priest in Scranton, PA in a very large parish. He is also a college professor in the area. He is 70+ Irish and has probably voted Democrat (despite the abortion abomination) more times than not. He is old school though and I can’t see him thinking much of Osama except giving his polite due.
I will lean heavily on him. Relentlessly! He is extremely charismatic (I’m not exaggerating in the tiniest – parishiners often leave their entire estates to his church). I know he could sway a huge number of his congregation. I will shamelessly call in every family favor to have him implore (direct) his congregation to not vote for O. Seriously, his number could make the difference (think of FL in ‘00)!
I probably will permanently burn many family bridges with this but it’s worth it. Flame away baby!

Posted by: Radical Redneck at October 29, 2008 at 3:23 am

A priest who doesn’t vote pro-life? BTW, Anni has a newish post up.

Posted by: Casca at October 29, 2008 at 11:39 am

Boo!! Hisss!! Didn’t you post something back [where I got snippy with you] where ‘rich’ was asserted to be people making >$65k/year?

Posted by: David at October 29, 2008 at 4:07 pm