October 24, 2008

Welcome to NYC

Two public referendums in the 1990’s established term limits for the NY City Council and NY’s mayor.

In 2008, in a vote of 29-22, the City Council decided that the opinion of the voters was actually wrong and overturned those limits.

Azi notes:
“The people voting on it were the 51 members of the City Council, 35 of whom were being forced out of office because of term limits.”

I’m happy to report that all three Republicans on the Council voted against this atrocity.

Comments

It’s all about self-interest, and completely unrelated to the public good. That is the democrat way.

Posted by: Casca at October 24, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I am saving the names of all who voted to extend term limits (Bloomberg’s reign) and I’ll never vote for these self serving ass clowns again. Even if Sharpton runs against them. This was a complete hijacking of a process which has already been voted on TWICE sucks for them if they didn’t like the results. To subvert the people of NY’s express wishes and do an end run to get their greedy way is disgusting. Too bad for Bloomberg that he hasn’t established his legacy but if you can’t get it done in eight damn years, bye bye, you are of no use to this city.

Posted by: Ari at October 24, 2008 at 1:45 pm

It just gives me yet another opportunity to vote against Mike Bloomberg.

Posted by: Fallen Sparrow at October 24, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Ari, where can you see who voted for and against this? The City Council website is conveniently deceptive.

Posted by: Marco at October 24, 2008 at 2:09 pm

There was a list in the New York Post and at Gothamist.
Here is a list of the council members who thought it appropriate to thumb their nose at New Yorkers wishes and voted to extend term limits, rather than put it to a referendum.
Christine C. Quinn
James Vacca
Peter F. Vallone
Albert Vann
Thomas White Jr.
David Yassky

Posted by: Ari at October 24, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Like Sparrow, hey, at least it’s another opportunity to vote against Bloomberg. And my City Councilwoman. Watch out Reyna.

Posted by: Claudio at October 24, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Thanks. My councilwoman isn’t on the list. I’ve never cared for her, but maybe she’s not so bad after all…
Does Christine Quinn ever do anything besides follow Mike Bloomberg around, going, “Yeah, that’s a great idea!”?

Posted by: Marco at October 24, 2008 at 3:03 pm

She plays idiot when the budget needs t obe eplained and hides money. So she has that going for her.

Posted by: Ari at October 24, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I’m conflicted here: I hate term-limits legislation and I find it strange that it is so easy for the Council to overturn a law passed by referendum.
The latter offense wins out, though, because so many of these officials owe their seats to their predecessors getting term-limited out of office.

Posted by: Charles at October 24, 2008 at 3:36 pm

This is a map showing who voted for and against by district. Glad to see my guy voted against. Good on Eric Gioia.

Posted by: Fallen Sparrow at October 24, 2008 at 3:57 pm

How is this even legal? What’s the point of a referendum if the city council can just nullify it?

Posted by: Eric at October 24, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Thanks to Fallen Sparrow’s link, I found out that my councilwoman also voted against letting us voters vote on this matter again. I take back the nice things I said about her. Bitch.

Posted by: Marco at October 24, 2008 at 4:34 pm

They’re allowed to do this by virtue of the City charter.
The reason the referendum vote was included was to disperse the political fallout members would experience by voting to rescind the original term limits law.

Posted by: Gerard at October 24, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Mr. Barron told Councilman Leroy G. Comrie Jr., who earlier had quoted Thomas Jefferson.

Posted by: Fallen Sparrow at October 25, 2008 at 12:44 am

At least Gentile had a presence of mind to vote against it.
Not that it helped matters.

Posted by: Tatyana at October 25, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Ugh.
As much as I detest him, I have to say that Gentile is probably one of the least crappy members of that chamber…sad though it may be.

Posted by: Gerard at October 25, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Has anybody mentioned recently that Charles Barron is a complete douche?
I think the last time his name came up Karol might have mentioned that in passing.

Posted by: Eric at October 26, 2008 at 3:53 am

Logically speaking, there’s no reason someone can’t be quotable, even a dumbass ghetto reject like Barron.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at October 26, 2008 at 10:39 pm