August 29, 2008

The most exciting vice presidential pick of my lifetime

I overheard no fewer than three conversations about Sarah Palin today on the streets of New York. There is a buzz about this pick like I’ve never seen before. I thought announcing it on the Friday before a long weekend (though Obama’s announcement on a Saturday was no better–where are the PR people?) was a bad idea but it seems not to matter as it’s all people can talk about. Palin!

Comments

I see that Team Uhbama is highlighting Palin’s “lack of experience” already: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080829/pl_afp/usvotemccainobamavp
Seems kind of ironic to me.

Posted by: Fallen Sparrow at August 29, 2008 at 3:54 pm

I am not giving money for McCain to win. I am giving money for Palin to win.

Posted by: Jake at August 29, 2008 at 4:38 pm

A heartbeat from the president is a woman whose political experience as of 10-years ago was city counsel and the PTA who a year ago admitted on CNBC that she had NO CLUE what a vice president does? Does she know what a president does?
Good luck with her. “Harriet Meirs of the VP slot.”

Posted by: Toby at August 29, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Will you admit now that McCain was the best choice we had this time?

Posted by: Dorian Davis at August 29, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Don’t kid yourself Toby.

Posted by: Tara at August 29, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Most of the occupants of that office office, including Goracle, didn’t know what a VPOTUS does.
Secondly, had Harriet Miers been picked she still would have been more qualified to serve than Obama.

Posted by: Gerard at August 29, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I think it is one of the worst picks ever. Putting aside the fact that I don’t know her position on immigration, Palin is a walking time bomb set to explode in October.
She is under investigation for tring to have her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper, fired. He probably should have been, but her getting involved is amateurish. Worse, it has sparked an investigation, the results of which are going to be announced in the end of October.
Governor Palin is inexperienced, has no real record, is a blatant affirmative action nominee, and is under investigation. Dumb move by McCain.

Posted by: RonL at August 29, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I reject this notion that Harriet Miers wasn’t qualified to be a Supreme Court judge. She went to law school. She passed the bar. She had decades of experience in law. She’d worked in the White House. What more do you people think it takes?

Posted by: Dorian Davis at August 29, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Huckabee/palin would have been better.

Posted by: Larry at August 29, 2008 at 5:34 pm

For many of us who still identify with political values traditionally associated with the left but have broken with the Dems because of Obama, Palin helps seal our vote for McCain.

Posted by: hashfanatic at August 29, 2008 at 6:07 pm

If the announcement hadn’t been today, people would have talked about Obama’s acceptance speech all day. The timing was perfect.

Posted by: KS at August 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm

She has nothing to attract Hillary voters besides a skirt. Hillary’s supporters argument for Hillary’s “due” is that her years as first lady and her Senate service (and possibly even her enduring through public political family crisis) had somehow given her enough experience to be vested on the Democratic ticket — if not at the top — then at least as co-pilot. If this young candidate, less than 2-years out of the town hall, attracts 1000 Hillary Supporters to the McCain ticket, I’ll be astonished.

Posted by: Toby at August 29, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I think if mccain really wanted palin, he should have made this pick a few weeks ago….it would have eliminated the notion that he’s pandering to hillary voters and it would have dared obama to pick hillary as VP…I don’t think obama would have done it and then he would have had a better chance at getting those hillary voters

Posted by: Larry at August 29, 2008 at 7:56 pm

“Huckabee/palin would have been better.”
Hey Larry, you know what? A LOT of tickets would have been better choices without McCain on them at all.
But you know what? Love him or hate him, McCain’s our guy. And Sarah Palin’s his ’second’.
Time to step up.
Time to count.
Time to make a difference.
Do your part to save our contry from the dregs of a failed socialst state.
McCain/Palin!

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at August 29, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I’m stok’ed, damn it! Don’t tell me to not get excited!
We’re gonna win this fucking thing!!!

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at August 29, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Toby–
Do YOU know what a vice-president does? Next to nothing. He presides over the Senate–which most of the time simply means sitting there–and waits for instructions from the President. Sometimes he makes public appearances or gets to vote in the Senate in the (rare) case of a tie.
And Palin didn’t say she didn’t know what the VP does. The question was rhetorical. She didn’t want to have a job that accomplished nothing.
She’s one smart cookie.

Posted by: Trish at August 29, 2008 at 11:57 pm

P.S. Toby–
It’s “city council.”

Posted by: Trish at August 29, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Palin believes in creationism…does she want to have a human life and marriage amendment?….just curious…karol?

Posted by: Larry at August 30, 2008 at 12:12 am

Seriously, I think the donkeys need to come up with a better meme than McCain is Bush III. Yes, let’s say that Palin is the Harriet Meiers pick. Or, hey, let’s bring up Brownie while we’re at it. Because seriously, that mud is _really going to stick_ for the next 60 days or so.
Larry, Larry, Larry–the Huckster got passed over. Let it go. At least McCain is demonstrating that he’s got a little of his grandfather’s aggressive, risk-taking spirit in him. It might blow up in his face, but he can at least say he fought the hand dealt to him. Look at how many aneurysms it’s causing the Obama campaign–to mix analogies, if your opponent is suffering secondary explosions then obviously it was a good shot. Somehow I doubt Huckster would have elicited the same response.

Posted by: James at August 30, 2008 at 12:58 am

P.S. Oh, and Toby–the majority of Americans have no clue what the Veep does. Seriously. I challenge you to ask 10 random passerbies what the Veep does other than wait for the President to make his journey to the “Big Oval Office in the Sky” and sometimes break a tie in the Senate.
As I’ve said before, the veeps on both sides deserve extra scrutiny this time around given the realities of both candidates. There are stronger odds than we’d like that no matter who wins we could end up with a, “Whaddya mean we can’t find a judge and a Bible?” moment. I don’t think either candidate chose as well as they should have, but perhaps as well as they truly _could_ have.
But, nice Freudian slip on saying she’s one heartbeat away from the Presidency. I think the Obama campaign and its donors would be a tad bit upset that you’re conceding for them. :)

Posted by: James at August 30, 2008 at 1:16 am

I have to give credit for Palin’s announcement taking the wind out of the DNC sails. The debates are going to be good, I think.

Posted by: bryan at August 30, 2008 at 3:11 am

James,
I’m tryin to let it go…I really am…haha
I think you’re wrong about the response that would have come from the dems over huck…they would be shitting their drawers

Posted by: Larry at August 30, 2008 at 9:42 am

Anyhow, back to Hussein Obama while he’s still relevant (for the next two months until he deservedly lands on the garbage heap of history).
Thursday, here in the US, thinking people celebrated the 45th anniversary of one of the greatest speeches of all time. The most memorable line:

Posted by: Radical Redneck at August 30, 2008 at 11:00 am

Watching the Left react to Palin is like watching a slow-motion trainwreck… and the to make it even better, the train is filled with clowns…

Posted by: Bender at August 30, 2008 at 7:43 pm

What was Obama’s political experience 10 years ago?
It boggles me that the Dems seem to think going after Palin on experience is a good strategy.

Posted by: Nobody Knows I'm a Sock Puppet at August 30, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Palin for VP was brilliant. I preferred Huckabee to McCain but Palin has made me excited again about this election!

Posted by: Vote! at August 31, 2008 at 3:41 pm

I always love a Radical Redneck comment. Ah for the old days at Annika’s.
For two decades, I’ve often been frustrated by the positions of the maverick. But this time, the twisted little prick has done himself proud. There hasn’t been a better Republican campaign for the Presidency since 1980. I’d like to know who’s calling the shots. He has my vote, and a check.
Now, on to the classics. It’s Greek to me, but this stuff is priceless:
The Idiossey
The Not-Really-That-Epic Poem of Obamacles
(with Apologies to Homer)
Book the First: A question for the Muse
Speak to me, O Muse, of this resourceful man
who strides so boldly upon the golden shrine at Invescos,
Between Ionic plywood columns, to the kleig light altar.
Fair Obamacles, favored of the gods, ascends to Olympus
Amidst lusty tributes and the strumming lyres of Media;
Their mounted skyboxes echo with the singing of his name
While Olbermos and Mattheus in their greasy togas wrassle
For first honor of basking in their hero’s reflected glory.
Who is this man, so bronzed in countenance,
So skilled of TelePrompter, clean and articulate
whose ears like a stately urn’s protrude?
So now, daughter of Zeus, tell us his story.
And just the Cliff Notes if you don’t mind,
We don’t have all day.
Read the rest of The Idiocy @ http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2008/08/the-idiossey.html

Posted by: Casca at August 31, 2008 at 9:16 pm

I can understand the glee that Republicans fel knowing that many liberals are going to reflexively mock her and make themselves look elitist in the process, but doesn’t it worry anyone that she really is too inexperienced to be President of the United States?

Posted by: marichal at August 31, 2008 at 11:02 pm

But will she pick Jindal or Cantor as her running mate in 2012?
chsw

Posted by: chsw at August 31, 2008 at 11:21 pm

In a word, no. Go read Hugh Hewitt at TownHall. She has gone from the PTA to the Governor’s seat in a dozen years of working with the people of her community. Few in DC can match her level of experience. They are party hacks and whores, not leaders but followers, and that is why we have the government we do today. I wasn’t initially excited about her pick, but I didn’t know much about her. Now, well, she’s the most exciting thing since RR.

Posted by: Casca at September 1, 2008 at 8:39 am

I like Palin, but I’m wondering why the club for growth isn’t calling her a fiscal liberal…she raised taxes on oil….oh, wait a minute, Romney is out of the race and isn’t funding the attacks anymore.

Posted by: Larry at September 1, 2008 at 10:15 am

The Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin has announced that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, in an announcement intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child.
Bristol Palin, one of Palin

Posted by: anon at September 1, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Now, well, she’s the most exciting thing since RR.

Well. Thanks!