August 29, 2008

My thoughts exactly

Jonah Goldberg sums up:

Quick, and provisional bottom line: The upside: She’s the best of the dark horses because she’s an exciting, exotic (yet heartlandish) female pick. The base will love her. She’s a true outsider and the only person in the race with serious executive experience. This will have to mean McCain’s flipping on ANWR, which will make gas prices a central issue.

Downside: She may not be ready for primetime. The heartbeat-from-the-presidency issue is a real one.

Comments

“Downside: She may not be ready for primetime.”
Hey, at least she HAS a resume’. Obama’s brag-sheet goes from paperboy to Senator in one sentence.
Good JOB, John McCain!
Woo-hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at August 29, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I second that! GOOD JOB, McCain!!!! woooo hooooo

Posted by: nds at August 29, 2008 at 1:08 pm

As someone who has largely sat out the 2008 election cycle, I am over the moon with this selection. She’s been my #1 choice ever since McCain got the nomination. I genuinely never thought it would come to pass. I am beside myself.
McCain-Palin 2008!

Posted by: Kevin Patrick at August 29, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Funny how the Democrats will say that experience is now off the table…..well, if that’s the case, then the “change” message is off the table because of biden.

Posted by: Larry at August 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm

McAmnesty is now starting to think like me. How frightening is that?
On the plus side, this is the first political development I’ve called correctly since I declared that Michael Badnarik would lose the ‘04 presidential election.

Posted by: Gerard at August 29, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Quick, you want experience in the lead role, or in the understudy?
Experience is most definitely not off the table.
And of course “change” has been off the table since Obama started the mass-reversal-of-positions after sewing up the nomination.
It will still be a close one, but I’m feeling much better about the chances of (and the consequences of) a McCain victory.

Posted by: Mark Poling at August 29, 2008 at 2:11 pm

She has 8 more years of administrative experience than either Obama or Biden.

Posted by: Jake at August 29, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Or McCain?

Posted by: nds at August 29, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Experience is most definitely not off the table
How can it not be off the table when John McCain is 92 year-old and she only has 2 years worth of experience in the big league.

Posted by: kj at August 29, 2008 at 3:47 pm

NDS:
McCain had administrative experience in the Navy.

Posted by: Jake at August 29, 2008 at 4:43 pm

FYI, McCain could be a literal corpse and he would still pull rank on Rezko’s bag-man.

Posted by: Gerard at August 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Jake, being a POW was McCain’s most successful (if horrible) experience in the Navy because he got to exhibit courage. Otherwise he was finishing in the bottom of his class in Annapolis or crashing planes he wouldn’t have gotten to fly if he weren’t a naval legacy. What executive experience did he have?
As for Palin’s executive experience, she has been governor of a state with a smaller population than the Bronx and mayor of a town with fewer people than the attendance at your average Islanders game.

Posted by: Charles at August 29, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Yes, Charles. And how much executive experience do Biden or Obama have? Zero and zero? Do we really want a guy for president who’s so decisive he votes “present” in the Senate? At least Palin would have had to make some decisions as mayor and then governor.

Posted by: Eric at August 29, 2008 at 6:10 pm

So, on the two tickets we’ve got three guys who’ve been professional speech makers, hand shakers, and backroom deal takers, and one woman who’s actually been in “the buck stops here” positions.
I know which one I will vote for. Which is a damned good thing, because until now I was focused on who most deserved to be voted against.
(BTW, does anyone know where any of those Annenberg bucks actually did stop? Because they don’t seem to have done a damn thing for any actual students in the Chicago school system…)

Posted by: Mark Poling at August 29, 2008 at 9:04 pm

kj–
2 years of administrative experience is 2 years more than ANY of the others have.

Posted by: Trish at August 30, 2008 at 12:00 am