July 31, 2008

No, please don’t

The other night over dinner (sidenote to New Yorkers, Restaurant Week ends tomorrow), Ari mentioned the new “suit with shorts” look that she’s seen around the city lately. The other ladies in attendance, PN and Lady Mathematician agreed: nightmare.

Posted by Karol at 11:02 AM |
Comments

it looks even worse than i imagined.

Posted by: pn at July 31, 2008 at 11:45 am

I have only seen this done well once. Longer shorts, with Chuck Taylors, outside LAX, when I was… maybe 19. (It’s seared into my memory.)
No man who isn’t running a marathon needs to own shorts that short, regardless of his sexual orientation.
(Are you watching Project Runway? I assume not, but the guy who got booted during week one was dressed like this. I had hoped it was a fluke.)

Posted by: Tanya at July 31, 2008 at 11:57 am

from the NYT article and picture, only the guy on the right deserves to not be punched right in his face. The guy on the left is just too over the top to even address. What a doofus.

Posted by: Ari at July 31, 2008 at 12:07 pm

This is worse.

Posted by: Petitedov at July 31, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Is not Dov! Those guys are tres gay.

Posted by: Casca at July 31, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Oooops, I linked to the wrong thing. Gah, this always happens!

Posted by: Petitedov at July 31, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Thought you would like the article below that indicates and severe tick problem going on in Italy. Karol.. Check yourself LOL
ROME, July 29, 2008 (AFP) – An Italian woman is suing a ferry company after waking up in a first-class cabin “covered in ticks from head to toe”, newspapers reported Tuesday. Cristina Sassudelli, 41, was making a night crossing at the weekend from the northern city of Genoa to the port of Olbia on the southern Italian island of Sardinia. “At six thirty in the morning I was wakened by the itching on one arm and I realised I was covered with ticks from head to toe,” she said, according to accounts in several Italian dailies. “I have always had dogs and I saw immediately that these weren’t any kind of insect. There were hundreds of them,” she added.
Staff on the ferry, run by a company called La Tirrenia, took her infested clothes and gave her new ones that were far too big, she said. Once they had arrived at Olbia a member of the crew accompanied her to a shop where she was able to buy new clothes. But the company did not reimburse her for her first-class ticket, she said. La Tirrenia told La Stampa newspaper: “This episode happened at a period of heavy traffic and hot, humid conditions. It is the first time, after many years of navigation, that it has happened.” It added that the contaminated zone had been sealed off and was being disinfected. Sassudelli said she was taking action against the company to make sure no one else had to go through the same “nightmare.” In recent years, there have been several cases of infections from ticks or fleas on Italian transport, particularly on trains.
Source: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE Date: 29/7/2008

Posted by: Farkle McBride at July 31, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Between the ticks, chocolate covered bacon, guys in suit shorts and women who look like Urkel, this has to be this blog’s most surreal post.
On topic, yeah, really can’t stand the suit shorts look.

Posted by: Shawn at July 31, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Yeah, that’s pretty horrible, Petitedov. While in Italy we saw lots of cowboy boots on girls with short skirts. In the summer. Not a good look. Didn’t take any ferries, Farkle, so I should be ok.

Posted by: Karol at July 31, 2008 at 4:45 pm

I see the shorts thing in the press every couple years, but I have yet to see an actual real live man wearing something like that. Isn’t it kind of a gag the fashion press plays on its readers?

Posted by: Eric at July 31, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Ari swears she saw it live in NY.

Posted by: Karol at July 31, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Horror.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at July 31, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Shorts with a suit? What is this, Bermuda?
I may not be the most dapper dresser, but that’s just revolting. Whatever happened to the concept of a summer suit; one made of cotton, linen, or silk?

Posted by: RonL at August 1, 2008 at 1:39 am

Shorts are fine, depending on where you wear them. I wear them all the time in Malaysia – you have to, pretty much.
And Australia, you know, is a shorts culture.
But please, not to work. Unless you’re a postman. And even then…

Posted by: Gregory at August 1, 2008 at 5:50 am

Eric – hand to god I saw this myself.
The offender was entering the 72nd Street subway station at Broadway the other morning. He was super blonde, tall and wearing what was otherwise a very natty suit. Aside from the utterly ridiculous shorts part which made him look like a 6 year old Germanic boy who lost his lederhosen.

Posted by: Ari at August 1, 2008 at 11:37 am

I thought I saw the look on Project Runway a couple of nights ago. How progressive.

Posted by: Farkle McBride at August 1, 2008 at 4:49 pm