July 28, 2008

A short list of not-so-random thoughts

**The fabulous John Hawkins was in NY this weekend and I got a chance to lunch with him and Ms. Pamela Atlas. John has the round-up on his site and calls me “sweet”! I never get “sweet”! Other funny things about John’s post: he considers the Lincoln Tunnel a landmark (whereas I consider it the necessary evil that leads me to Atlantic City) and was alarmed at NY’s lack of refills, something I’ve blogged about before here.

**If you are a regular reader of my blog and a dedicated follower of my flickr photo page, and I know this, you can’t pretend not to know me when we run into each other on the street as that will make me feel all embarrassed for you. Just. Saying.

**Artichoke, the best pizza place in Manhattan, gets bad press for its long lines and sporadic hours, but we went there yesterday, for the second time in its short history, and had not a problem. The pizza really is unbelievable. Finally, a Manhattan pizza place that rivals Brooklyn.

**The hype around the new Batman movie is such that we keep hearing how it’s a 2-month wait to get tickets to see it in Imax in Manhattan. Except, I guess, if you’d like to see it today. Or tomorrow. Or any day really. Don’t believe the hype.

Comments

Karol, try actually clicking through from the showtimes — the 8:30 shows, though they’re listed, are sold out way in advance.
No Mad Men water cooler?

Posted by: someone at July 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm

No Mad Men water cooler?
I was going to but then not much happened. It was a pretty episode but didn’t even do much in the way of set-up.

Posted by: Karol at July 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Even if you’re wrong about the 8:30 shows, you’re still right. My sister went to see Dark Knight on Saturday night, and she said there was nobody there.
There’s been a lot of astroturfing on social media sites. I’m seeing more and more of that.

Posted by: Eric at July 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm

They were all available when I posted this. 7pm is still available right now.

Posted by: Karol at July 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm

“7pm is still available right now.”
That’s New Rochelle! Manhattan = totally sold today.
“I was going to but then not much happened.”
Yeah, but I wanted a place to thank you for getting me to start watching the show. Season 1 was great. We need Time Warner to pick up AMC HD though.

Posted by: someone at July 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I was non-plussed about Mad Men too.
Were we told in the beginning that the setting is now 1962 or were we supposed to ascertain that when we saw Jackie giving her WH tour on TV?

Posted by: michelle at July 28, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Always remember what Yogi Berra said about a restaurant years ago. “That place is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.”

Posted by: bogle at July 28, 2008 at 9:53 pm