June 30, 2008

All three Jewish Scots let out a “mazel tov!” at the news

A Scottish Jewish Tartan has been approved by the Scottish Tartans Authority.

Comments

motherfucker…. does this mean I have to stop sarcastically referring to the Burberry pattern as the “J.A.P. tartan”.
I suppose it’s for the best as nobody would ever have a clue what I was talking about.

Posted by: E5 at June 30, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Haha. But Jews have been living in Scotland since the Roman Empire and most certainly before the Diaspora. The current population outnumbers Greece. Yeah, yeah, I know. Not saying much.

Posted by: Jamie at June 30, 2008 at 7:11 pm

To my shame “Burberry” is the first of the three names my dog was given by his breeder. As there’s no chance of him ever being shown, I haven’t bothered to change it.

Posted by: bryan at June 30, 2008 at 8:32 pm

The current population outnumbers Greece.
I lived there for nearly 3 years and met one in total (and I wore a Magen David everywhere so likely would’ve had a fellow Jew talk to me if they encountered me). She was also the only girl I met in Scotland who got regular manicures. Make of that what you will.

Posted by: Karol at June 30, 2008 at 9:57 pm

It still looks like a lattice of crosses like most other tartans.
chsw

Posted by: chsw at June 30, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for the link!

Posted by: kishnevi at June 30, 2008 at 9:59 pm

“Why must you perpetuate the sterotype?”- The IC about my manicure comment.

Posted by: Karol at June 30, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Karol and Kishnevi,
I wonder if it itches?
I was under the impression that the Jews of Scotland were expelled along with the English Jews under Edward I. I was wrong.
The Declaration of Arbroath, which was an appeal to the Pope in 1320 to recognize Scottish independence evidently includes a line which translates to “there is neither bias nor difference between Jew or Greek, Scot or English”
Jamie,
Greece’s lack of Jews has much to do with the fact that over 85% were murdered by the Nazis.
The Yavani dialect (Judaeo-Koine), which withstood a millenia of Byzantine suppression of Jews is dead and there are very few Romanoite Jews left. The Sephardi Greeks faired little better. Thessaloniki was majority Jewish until this century. Sadly 46,000 or roughly 50,000 were murdered. (One of my aunts is Sephardi Macedonian, and knows of no Greek relative who survived.)

Posted by: RonL at June 30, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Bagpipe Hero
hopefully that link worked.

Posted by: E5 at July 1, 2008 at 9:54 am

Are they Protestant Jews or Catholic Jews?

Posted by: Graeme at July 3, 2008 at 8:05 am